Medication post op and coming off them...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David W

Hi all. This is probably specifically toward the tissue valve folk on here. When I had a 3 month to check up post op I had the following experience. Firstly I met up with the surgeons right hand woman as he had an emergency and she filled in for him who told me I'd be on meds for the rest of my life. Mmmm? Then when I got to eventually meet with my surgeon he said nope I would be able to come of meds and that over time I could start to reduce the amount but also monitor my heart rate etc. I am currently taking only two beta blockers, bisoprolol and lasotan and an aspirin. What are your thoughts on this. Any advice would be appreciated.

Best regards

David

With my mitral valve repair (essentially a tissue valve which is my own tissue) I was on metoprolol for a month or so and then tapered off it. I also took Lasix for a little while, and of course warfarin for three months. After three months all I had to take was a low-dose aspirin. I'm not on any prescription medications at this point but will be on the low-dose aspirin indefinitely.

Zoltania (great name) thanks for taking the time to respond. That's interesting and inspiring, I had hoped I would hear stories like yours. How are you feeling now?

I had aortic valve replacement on April 1st. When I left the hospital I was taking Metropolol (beta blocker) and low dose aspirin daily. Last week I had an appointment with my cardiologist and he took me off the Metropolol, so now I'm only taking aspiring daily.

David W, thanks for asking. I feel great physically, with as much strength and energy as I had before I started to get symptomatic. Sometimes I struggle with anxiety when I notice any little physical thing, but the more occupied with life I get, the less I dwell on imaginary worries and the more I realize how good I feel.

I have been on metoprolol since my AVR in June 2014. Initially, of course, it helps protect your heart and arteries during the recovery period, helps reduce PVCs, ETC. I asked my cardiologist about coming off of it completely as I feel it has some affect on me during physical exercise. He strongly suggested I stay on it, and followed up with an explanation that convinced me to go with his advice.

He said the continuation of beta blockers at this point has nothing to do with protecting the heart in the way it did post surgery but that there is strong evidence, although he admitted they didn't really know why this seems to be the case, that a continued regimen of beta blockers tends to reduce the re-occurance of aneurysms following surgery.

I had a decent sized aneurysm in the ascending aorta, and the last thing I want is to develop one in the arch or descending aorta so I plan on staying with it indefinitely. I didn't get information on the specific study or evidence that beta blockers can help in this way but I have developed a relationship and respect for the cardiology department at Loma Linda such that I no longer question things like this.

Glad to hear your doing well Z, in spite of the anxiety every now and then. I agree you can't focus on the negative stuff and you just need to get on with things..

Hi David - I was on a beta blocker (Atenolol) for just over six weeks post op. The dose was actually reduced to half at three weeks post op (but I never had aneurysm). I wrote to the Society of Cardiothoracic Surgery helpline during recovery and asked what was the usual time someone stayed on beta blockers post AVR surgery assuming no AFib - their honorary surgeon replied that he usually recommends six weeks. Anyway, that's what my cardiologist did, he said to come off it when I saw him at six weeks post op. I am on no other heart medications apart from Omacor which is only omega 3's which I've been on for eight years now (if I wasn't on omega 3's I'd buy them from the health food shop - I'm lucky that I can get them on the NHS).

I wouldn't have gone with whatever the cardiac surgeon had said even if she had said differently to my cardiologist because the surgeon really only 'saw' me during surgery and for 15 min consultation two months prior to surgery and for 15 mins consultation six weeks post op - the surgeon is not a physician. The surgeon doesn't really 'know' you like your cardiologist should. That's my opinion anyway - my cardiologist knows me, knows my heart, knows any other health issues.

You could ask your cardiologist for his advice about the heart meds !
​PG :)

I thought it was brilliant when my HR was between 50 and 75. I was on Atenolol 25mg twice a day. I'm happy to remain on this. But, since my avr a week ago they've put me on Metoroplol. I don't like the stuff. Its effects wear off after about four hours. I think if a particular beta blocker doesn't work for you, try another. My goal is to keep my BP and HR way down.

BTW I don't consume "animal protein" anymore, so I'm therefore entitled to walk around being a wanker. A friend of mine at the range wears a t-shirt saying 'My food shits on your food'. LOL

I've been on metropolol since my surgery in '11. My cardiologist has kept me on it. He believes that it helps protect against aortic dissection and since my blood pressure has been good we should just keep the status quo. I don't have a problem with it and there seems to be a potential benefit to it.

Tom

Back