Medic Alert for BAV Repair and Aneurysm Repair?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thenewmarket

Does my husband need to wear a medic alert for bicuspid aortic valve repair and aneurysm repair? I have read the threads about medic alert and I haven't seen this issue addressed. He doesn't take coumadin, the only med he takes is a beta blocker.

Thanks for your input!

Someone else will probably be around to confirm this, but I believe that you don't need a medical alert bracelet for a repair as don't have one with my mitral repair. I think they are mainly for people (from this site anyway) who are on Coumadin or have a pacemaker.

I had a mitral valve repair and don't wear a medic alert. I wore one briefly while temporarily on Coumadin and stopped wearing it once I no longer had to take it. However, I do carry a card that indicates I have a Simplicit-T Band prosthetic which was implanted as part of the mitral valve repair.

hey,
I have a BAV, with regurg and insufficiency, as well as mitral stenosis with insufficiency (see signature). I think if he is symptomatic at all he should wear one. I thought about it, and put it off, and thought about it, and put it off, I was becoming more symptomatic this past summer, and finally decided to get one because of my symptoms. I ordered it one morning, and that night I passed out at work. it was freaky. nothing came of my spell, I came too within a minute or two. if I had been found by one of my co-workers I would have wanted them to know what to do, and would have wanted the EMS team, and the hospital to have the info that I have printed on my bracelet, and on my medical alert info in my wallet.

just food for thought

I went to the trouble of getting the form filled out and signed by the doctor but still haven't gone to the trouble of sending it off....

I carry my st jude card in my wallet.

Not sure if its world wide but here in Auz we have an entry in our mobile phones called ICE (In Case of Emergency) and under that name i have all my medical details.

Wearing a medic alert bracelet....it's all a matter of personal choice.
I prefer that should I be in an accident anywhere across the country, all of my medical information is readily available.

I've thought of getting one of these too, but I'm not into wearing jewelry of any kind. I noticed on their website they have a 'sport' version now - anyone tried that one? Also, they have a keychain USB 'flashdrive'-like version that I guess the EMT's can just punch into their on-board PC & read from. I've got cards they gave me for my pacemaker & I also printed up an emergency card for my wallet. Sometimes I still think I should have this extra protection, however but I'm wondering what other peoples' experiences have been with these devices.

Back