Medic Alert Bracelet

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turkey Hunter

With my up and coming surgery in December to have the reverse ross, and ending with a mechanical valve.....What are ya'll's opinion on ordering and having my medic alert bracelet for when I leave the hospital??
And what is the best bang for the buck??

Well I wondered about this recently and revived an old post on here somewhere. Initially I thought it'd be a smart idea to identify that I was on Coumadin. But the more I thought about it, the logic unfolded that, any medic is going to listen to my heart, that will quickly reveal the sound of my mechanical valve and then the obvious connection being that it means I'm on blood thinner. Someone else pointed out any medical exam will reveal the surgical scar down my sternum, and thus the same line of thinking that would follow. Ultimately, I think it might be a smart idea to get one, but I think I'll probably only wear it when I wouldn't otherwise have ID on me, like swimming or something like that for example. I did find some cool options on a site called endevr.com

Hi

almost_hectic;n859392 said:
...But the more I thought about it, the logic unfolded that, any medic is going to listen to my heart, that will quickly reveal the sound of my mechanical valve and then the obvious connection being that it means I'm on blood thinner

agreed ... and *IF* you presented problems with clotting a quick finger prick test would clarify you needed IV VitaminK in about 190 seconds

Also you don't know what other meds you might be on post surgery - not saying you will be on more than warfarin but might be as well to wait till you are finished with surgery. You should get a little card from the manufacturers of the valve too. Plus you can make a temporary card/paper one yourself - I was instructed to do so when I was diagnosed as allergic to penicillin. Now I have carry a plastic card with all my conditions and meds on it including contact numbers, GP's name and blood group.

I have a Medical ID card in my wallet, and also in the visor of my card, and with my wife. The card contains more detailed information than the Medallion Medical ID I wear.
The Medallion I have is fashionable. It looks like a gold coin, but with the Medical Staff symbol on the front. The back, states my condition, ie: "Mechanical Aortic Valve, Stent. Coumadin, and Allergies,"
I do not have doctors or other meds listed, as these are subject to change. I figure that if I am critically injured, a trained medical person will immediately see my scar, and the Medical alert Medallion ID worn on the chain around my neck. That should be enough for them to take proper actions.

As a single guy with a mechanical valve, pacemaker, and insulin dependent diabetes, who often travels alone, I like the Medic Alert products because of the personalised engraving and 24 hour support number to get more details of meds, conditions and next of kin etc. Whilst I agree our surgical scars are obvious once they get that far, it seems to me that the first thing a paramedic will do is check my pulse at my wrist, before moving on to other checks. So I wear a bracelet, on the assumption that this is more likely to be seen quickly than a necklace medallion.

But I also agree probably best to wait until after you are discharged to get one - when you leave the hospital you will be accompanied, so not desperate to have one at that point, and once you are home ordering one will give you something to do during recovery! You can, of course, update what details they hold about you if meds change etc.

It is like anything else, the more severe a persons condition, the more precautions you need/or should take.
So, if 24 hr. monitoring, makes you feel comfortable, you can get it, if personal contact support makes your boat float, you can get it too, or if you prefer a simple medallion or bracelet, you can get that as well. If you do use a medallion, or bracelet, just get one that clearly displays it's intent, and is engraved on the back side with the most critical information regarding your condition.

There is also an app for your phone, that has all your doctors listed, their contact info, all your meds, your personal emergency contacts, etc
You can even print it out for your doctors office.

Paleogirl;n859406 said:
Also you don't know what other meds you might be on post surgery - not saying you will be on more than warfarin but might be as well to wait till you are finished with surgery. You should get a little card from the manufacturers of the valve too. Plus you can make a temporary card/paper one yourself - I was instructed to do so when I was diagnosed as allergic to penicillin. Now I have carry a plastic card with all my conditions and meds on it including contact numbers, GP's name and blood group.

The road ID is very cool. They can log in and get access to your current meds, allergies, conditions, and contact info. Basically it speak for you if you can't.
http://www.roadid.com/Common/Faq.aspx

ALLBETTERNOW!;n859429 said:
The road ID is very cool. They can log in and get access to your current meds, allergies, conditions, and contact info. Basically it speak for you if you can't.
http://www.roadid.com/Common/Faq.aspx

Yup, that's what the ones offered by endevr.com do as well. If you travel, it even translates your information to whatever the local language is based on the location of where your ID is scanned from.

I like wearing one. I figure as a Road Bicyclist, there is a good chance I could be laying at the side of the road by myself some day. It would not be the 1st time. Therefore I like having it on. I wear it 24 hours a day because I know I would forget it if I did not...kinda like my helmet once in awhile..oops.

I do like the point made about a good medic hearing the valve. For some reason, that never crossed my mind. I will need to let that settle a little.

I like stainless steal bracelets. Not plugging, but I have had good luck from americanmedical-id.com

scott.eitman;n859454 said:
I like wearing one. I wear it 24 hours a day because I know I would forget it if I did not...kinda like my helmet once in awhile

LOL at first read I misunderstood you and was thinking you wear your helmet 24 hours a day so you don't forget it.. Ha!

I got a bracelet; I was pretty convinced at first that it would bug me but now I actually forget it's there most of the time and sleep and shower with it without a problem. The only time it gets irritating is when I'm cooking -- kneading dough is a pain and a half if I forget to take it off -- but other than that, it's fine. I think it's a good thing to have just in case of emergencies -- you never know when an accident might happen, and it's convenient for paramedics if you have the info right there on your wrist or around your neck.

Mine has my name and lists that I have an On-X Aortic Valve (I wanted it to be specific for my own peace of mind) and that I am on blood thinners (that I kept unspecific because I started out on warfarin and then switched to brand-name coumadin), and it also has an ICE phone # and my GP's #. It's stainless steel -- so no issues with getting it wet -- and there are clasps on both ends of the tag so that if I ever need to change the info, I only need to get a new tag, not a whole new bracelet.

I got mine here: https://www.laurenshope.com/

I also keep a Patient Info card in a visible place in my wallet as a backup, along with the business cards of my current doctors.

Latest posts

Back