Mechanical Valves-Loudness Poll

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mechanical Valves-Loudness Poll

• Intolerably Loud

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Semi-Mild-Can be heard by oneself, sort of aggravating

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick.....

84 bpm right now.

Mine is often mistaken for a watch even though I usually beat at a faster pace.

A month after I was released from the hospital I attended a friend's wedding and during the ceremony my brother turned to me and mouthed, "Is that you?"
We both stiffled a laugh at the question. My sister-in-law however, was puzzled because while she sat between us, she couldn't hear it.

I've noticed this in a lot of people, for whatever reason they just can't hear it, I suspect because they have lsot hearing in the pitch level of the ticking.

I have an odd sensation where I can "feel" the ticking in an area behind my right ear. I can also hear it well, but the noise has become quieter since I first had my valve replacement.

I just recently procured a cardio-stethescope as part of a "jump bag" for my EMT exploits and when I listen to my valve, the deamn thing bangs away inside my chest. I can hear it very clearly and there are a lot of "qualities" to the sound beyond just a simple tick.

It's also very comforting when I go to bed at night and it serves as an indicator of my health. It's louder and faster when I'm sick.

The thing I have trouble doing though is separating the sound of the ticking when I'm trying to take a patient's pulse. My brain starts counting my own pulse and loses track of the patient's very easily so I've been working on taking pulses when I do blood pressures. Not the best way I guess, but it seems to work.

Tick-Tock

Tick-Tock

Some of my co-workers say they can hear the infamous "tick-tock" that comes from my pair of St Judes (Mitral and Aortic), and I told one of my much younger co-workers that the sound was just my biological clock ticking.

My wife says the sounds lull her to sleep, but unfortuately for her I work night shift. She sleeps so well on my nights off!

Silent running

Silent running

I'm happy to report that my valve remains stealthy except under the most arduous extracurricular activities or so my wife tells me. :D

Latest posts

Back