Meat valve & warfarin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See that's the thing NO body says coumadin will kill you and surgery won't, that is NOT what most people say, I at least say that the chances of having an adverse event are close to the same wether you chose to choose tissue and surgery or mechanical and take coumadin. I've never read one person say there is no risk to surgery, but the risk of coumadin is often dowplayed. ALL we should do is give equal weight to the statistics, instead of saying the small percentage of risk having surgery (especially in an other wise healthy person) is something to be the most concerned about, but don't worry about the equally small percentage of people that die or have major problems because of taking coumadin.

As for if people were in range there wouldn't be as many problems, MOST if not all studies I have read, don't show that, they usually have something close to this for a results
RESULTS: A total of 225 trauma patients were studied, including 40 warfarin users (17.3%), of whom 22 (55.0%) were in the therapeutic group. Age, gender, and mechanism of injury were similar among groups. Likelihood of Glasgow Coma Scale score </=13 (odds ratio [OR] = 5.13, 95% confidence interval [CI] 1.97-13.39, p = 0.001), ICH (OR = 2.59, 95% CI 0.92-7.32, p = 0.07), overall mortality (OR = 4.48, 95% CI 1.60-12.50, p = 0.004), and mortality after ICH (OR = 3.42, 95% CI 1.09-10.76, p = 0.03) was increased in the therapeutic as compared with the nonuser group. There was no difference in any measured outcome between the nonuser and nontherapeutic groups. CONCLUSIONS: Therapeutic anticoagulation with warfarin, rather than warfarin use itself, is associated with adverse outcomes after traumatic brain injury in elderly patients.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...nel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

that is just one but most tend to show the simular data.

What I will never understand is why if anyone tries to point out there are risks to coumadin, especially in people in their 60s or up, people get mad or say we are saying coumadin is awful and surgery is risk free, because that is NOT what anyone says. I personally believe alot in fate and think when it is your time to go it is your time to go and wether you have tissue and a reop or mech and coumadin, it doesn't matter. BUT IF you worry about new people not knowing there ARE risks to surgery and worry about them hearing things that are NOT true about coumadin, (like shaving, eating ect) then it is only fair to be honest and admit there ARE people that do die or have major problems because of coumadin. THAT is how people make informed choices, which I thought was part of the purpose of this board.

We can go round and round about this forever on end and it will always end the same way. I'm dropping it. In fact, I'm not even posting anything more about it. No one is listening to those of us that take it daily anyhow. They'd much rather get that information from friends of friends or those who do not take the drug.

That's it. I'm done.

See that's the thing NO body says coumadin will kill you and surgery won't, that is NOT what most people say, I at least say that the chances of having an adverse event are close to the same wether you chose to choose tissue and surgery or mechanical and take coumadin. I've never read one person say there is no risk to surgery, but the risk of coumadin is often dowplayed. ALL we should do is give equal weight to the statistics, instead of saying the small percentage of risk having surgery (especially in an other wise healthy person) is something to be the most concerned about, but don't worry about the equally small percentage of people that die or have major problems because of taking coumadin.

As for if people were in range there wouldn't be as many problems, MOST if not all studies I have read, don't show that, they usually have something close to this for a results
RESULTS: A total of 225 trauma patients were studied, including 40 warfarin users (17.3%), of whom 22 (55.0%) were in the therapeutic group. Age, gender, and mechanism of injury were similar among groups. Likelihood of Glasgow Coma Scale score </=13 (odds ratio [OR] = 5.13, 95% confidence interval [CI] 1.97-13.39, p = 0.001), ICH (OR = 2.59, 95% CI 0.92-7.32, p = 0.07), overall mortality (OR = 4.48, 95% CI 1.60-12.50, p = 0.004), and mortality after ICH (OR = 3.42, 95% CI 1.09-10.76, p = 0.03) was increased in the therapeutic as compared with the nonuser group. There was no difference in any measured outcome between the nonuser and nontherapeutic groups. CONCLUSIONS: Therapeutic anticoagulation with warfarin, rather than warfarin use itself, is associated with adverse outcomes after traumatic brain injury in elderly patients.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...nel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

that is just one but most tend to show the simular data.

What I will never understand is why if anyone tries to point out there are risks to coumadin, especially in people in their 60s or up, people get mad or say we are saying coumadin is awful and surgery is risk free, because that is NOT what anyone says. I personally believe alot in fate and think when it is your time to go it is your time to go and wether you have tissue and a reop or mech and coumadin, it doesn't matter. BUT IF you worry about new people not knowing there ARE risks to surgery and worry about them hearing things that are NOT true about coumadin, (like shaving, eating ect) then it is only fair to be honest and admit there ARE people that do die or have major problems because of coumadin. THAT is how people make informed choices, which I thought was part of the purpose of this board.

Thank you, Lyn.

No one is listening to those of us that take it daily anyhow. They'd much rather get that information from friends of friends or those who do not take the drug.
That's it. I'm done.

What am I....chopped liver?!?!:confused: This year will be ten years I've taken warfarin and I don't like it.

I will ignore your comment Karlynn about "Tylenol"..:rolleyes:

I add my thanks to Lyn for her post..:) and to Tobagotwo..!

As a sidenote to Jkm7 - I hate warfarin, hate that I have to take it the rest of my life, hate when it's low, hate when it's too high and I do believe it's one of the most dangerous drugs out there. There are many people on this website who feel the same as I do, but they don't express their views because our beliefs/feelings are frequently refuted and jeez, who wants to argue.. Have I made myself perfectly clear...

What am I....chopped liver?!?!:confused: This year will be ten years I've taken warfarin and I don't like it.

I will ignore your comment Karlynn about "Tylenol"..:rolleyes:

I add my thanks to Lyn for her post..:) and to Tobagotwo..!

ShezaGirlie.... You definitely are not chopped liver. :)
I very much thank you for your posts.

Chou, could you ship over some of those Green Tea flavoured Balloons?
I'm thinking about stocking stuffers for next Christmas! :)
Or, what a great hostess gift.....;)

ma'am, are you thinking stocking stuffers or balloon stuffers?

i'm willing to do some research, they've got soooooooo many flavors!
i also have the banana and strawberry, but have stayed away from
the rum&coke, pickel, and salad flavors.

i also found this stuff, which apparently works much like a spray-in
pickup truck bedliner......

Okay Chou, I'm depending on you to do the research.....pickle flavour.....would that be with garlic or without? Bad breath is such a bummer!
And what's the nano-crypto-spray on product all about? Inquiring minds need to know.

One of the greatest risks in taking coumadin is listening to a doctor or nurse who really does not know very much about doseage when you are out of range.

We can go round and round about this forever on end and it will always end the same way. I'm dropping it. In fact, I'm not even posting anything more about it. No one is listening to those of us that take it daily anyhow. They'd much rather get that information from friends of friends or those who do not take the drug.

That's it. I'm done.
I know something we all can agree on...none of us want coumadin OR another
re-op,but since the third option is unacceptable we just do the best we can
for our differring lifestyles,body systems, and idiosyncrasies.

BTW-None of the otc pain killers are great for you. Personally I like the
ibuprofen over acetaminophen since it helps headaches more. I have found
that tylenol is more effective for fever though. And I'm not too sure the
ibuprofen taken infrequently affects the bleeding risk with coumadin(?)
--But if I have a bad headache ,I will take whatever is in the house;)

And what's the nano-crypto-spray on product all about? Inquiring minds need to know.

jeepers, i thought this was pretty clear...

...which apparently works much like a spray-in
pickup truck bedliner......

it's a ladies aerosol condom. imagine a can of whipped cream mixed with
some really strong hair spray.

in other news....i've learned that healing will take some time. i have a
new friend, and um, found i'm not ready to put too much weight on my
sternum yet. and yes, i took everyone's advice not to lift more than
half my weight. fortunately my friend is exactly half my weight! it was
either that or the couple hours i spent bent over a desk practicing writing
characters. i'm not sure which caused the soreness, but in the interest
of science, i will repeat the aforementioned actions in various sequences
and positions until i've found the reason. or die trying. well, except for
the character writing. can't be that. gotta be the other.

OMG you are keen!:eek: How long since your surgery?

Oh well, everyone's different I guess:):)

And, back to the original intent of this thread before it unfortunately got sidetracked, I am sure you'll level out on Warfarin for the short time you'll have to be on it. You sound like you've got a pretty relaxed and laid back attitude to everything so you'll handle the ups and downs okay.

Go easy!;)

Latest posts

Back