Maze Procedure with Valve Replacement

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouLou

I would like to hear from anyone that had the Maze Procedure for Afib when they had Valve Surgery. I would love to get rid of the afib and the Maze procedure has been mentioned by my EP and Cardiologist. I have a Mechanical Mitral Valve and will be having AVR in the near future. I am in afib about 30 - 40 % of the time.

It is difficult to tell if I am feeling miserable from the AS or the Afib or all the meds I take (Multaq 200mg, Metropolol 100mg, Coumadin, Lasix 40 mg). TEE is scheduled for August 29th and then I will know more.

I have been told that the Maze could be difficult to do with the Mechanical Mitral Valve but I think the Doctor was talking about the Cath Maze and not OHS.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Tammy

Hi Tammy ..... I don’t know if Maze and Ablation is the same procedure but the goal is many times the same .... I had Ablation along with my mechanical AVR and it has been a 100% success!!! I have not been in A-Fib since surgery in 2006 ... Good luck!!!

Had maze with MV repair

Had maze with MV repair

Hi Tammy. I had a left maze at the same time that I had my MV repair. I had been in A-Fib for about 2 months before I had my surgery. Since the surgery (knock on wood) I have never had A-Fib. Who knows, maybe it would have disappeared anyway just with the fact that the left atrium became smaller, but I am glad I had the maze.

I had my maze when my MVR was done, and the atrial annex was closed off at the same time. It might be a bit more difficult with the valve already in-situ, but if the doctor says it can be done, go for it.
I love my maze, even though it left me with a pacemaker. No more a-fib.

I had a maze with my tricuspid valve replacement 4 years ago. I did not have a-fib when I had it, but because I had other rhythm issues, and a-fib can happen pretty often with my condition, they did the maze as a preventive measure. To my knowledge, I have not had a-fib since I had it.

MAZE Procedure

MAZE Procedure

Hi Tammy,

I had a MAZE procedure done in connection with a St Jude mechanical mitral valve replacement in March 2009. Prior to the surgery, the afib was controlled by Amiodorone. Since the surgery, no afib, no Amiodorone but slow heart rate 125 bpm max during fast walking Bike riding 145 bpm max. I take 75 mg Metoprolol /day. I don't think that the MAZE is the cause of the low rate. As far as I can tell the MAZE just stopped the afib.

Good Luck

Jim

I would like to hear from anyone that had the Maze Procedure for Afib when they had Valve Surgery. I would love to get rid of the afib and the Maze procedure has been mentioned by my EP and Cardiologist. I have a Mechanical Mitral Valve and will be having AVR in the near future. I am in afib about 30 - 40 % of the time.

It is difficult to tell if I am feeling miserable from the AS or the Afib or all the meds I take (Multaq 200mg, Metropolol 100mg, Coumadin, Lasix 40 mg). TEE is scheduled for August 29th and then I will know more.

I have been told that the Maze could be difficult to do with the Mechanical Mitral Valve but I think the Doctor was talking about the Cath Maze and not OHS.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Tammy
On Sept 12, it will have been 4 years since my aortic valve replacement and left side Maze procedure. My a-fib was a symptom that came on within the few months pprior to my surgery. Other than a few minor episodes within the first couple months following my surgery, I have had no A-fib problems. I do have occasional flare ups with PACs and TAC, but nothing my cardio is concerned about. I have no workout limitations whatsoever related to my heart. I may not have had the A-fib without the Maze but since they had the access anyway the decision was made to go ahead with it. Good call I 'd say. My resting HR is actually a little faster than it was pre-op (58 versus 48). I hope you have a similar result!

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I am def going to have the Maze Procedure if I can when I have my AVR. For now, I am in the waiting room with a valve area of 1.0 cm.

It will certainly be nice to be rid of some of the AFIB!!! I have tried all of the meds except Amiodrone (sp?) - currently taking Multaq and Metropolol for the AFIB. The meds slow it down but have not been successful in getting rid of it.

Thanks again and Happy Ticking!!
Tammy

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I am def going to have the Maze Procedure if I can when I have my AVR. For now, I am in the waiting room with a valve area of 1.0 cm.

It will certainly be nice to be rid of some of the AFIB!!! I have tried all of the meds except Amiodrone (sp?) - currently taking Multaq and Metropolol for the AFIB. The meds slow it down but have not been successful in getting rid of it.

Thanks again and Happy Ticking!!
Tammy
Sounds like a good plan. Many of us take Metoprolol long term, but it is best to try and avoid Amiodarone over the long term.

I had a mini-maze....don't really know if there is a difference, along with my Mitral Valve Replacement. I was in A-Fib when I went into surgery and the surgeon didn't mention anything about a maze and since I wasnt on this site at the time, didnt really know anything about it myself. Had a HR of 160 even with drugs to lower it. Came out of surgery with a steady HR that was even and totally amazing to me. I didnt remember my heart EVER beating "correctly". Did go back into A-Fib a few days after coming home and had to be shocked back. That was July 2009 and I havent had any more issues with it. Good Luck!

Mileena

I`m having a maze type ablation surgery with a redo tricuspid valve replacement in a weeks time on Sept 26th. I`ve had A fib for 18 months, Ive had some tough times with it, had heart shocked, hospital admissions etc. Heart rate 150+ at times. My procedure is called Biatrial Atrial Fib ablation. I never had A fib prior, and my surgeon and cardiologist seem to think the onset of my A fib is caused by the degeneration of my tricuspid tissue valve by knocking my heart rate out of zinc. I would be very happy if its cured after my 2nd OHS surgery. Good luck

Lee

Latest posts

Back