Maze procedure combined with AVR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ks1490

Hi,

My cardio has advised that my surgeon should perform a Maze procedure at the same time as my AVR in order to deal with my persistent afib.

I don't dispute the need for the procedure, I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this done, are there any additional questions or considerations I should think of in advance of my surgery consult or the actual surgery? Any pros or cons or is it pretty routine?

Thanks.

I had a left maze procedure along with my mitral valve repair. All I can say is, knock on wood, I have been in normal sinus rhythm since the operation.

I had a maze procedure done at the same time as my valve replacement. I think it is fairly common to do them at the same time if that is what is recommended for your situation.

Kim

I had Ablation along with my AVR (I thing Maze and Ablation are pretty much the same, someone correct me if I’m wrong) ... as Adrienne, I have had no more issues with A-Fib ... best wishes.:)

I had Ablation along with my AVR (I thing Maze and Ablation are pretty much the same, someone correct me if I’m wrong) ... as Adrienne, I have had no more issues with A-Fib ... best wishes.:)

Nope Cooker, they are not the same thing. An ablation is where they insert a cath into your heart usually from your groin area and search for areas that are "mis-firing" and then they basically burn those areas to hopefully disrupt the rhythm causing areas.

A Maze is an actual heart surgery procedure where they cut a very specific pattern into the outside surface of your heart to help keep you from going into a-fib by basically short circuiting any electrical signals (those cuts keep those signals from travelling far enough to put you into a-fib).

If you want a more scientific explanation, just google the two procedures.

Kim

Be sure to ask your Surgeon about performing a Maze Procedure and if he thinks it would be appropriate for YOU.

Also ask about his Experience doing the Maze Procedure.

EXPERIENCE COUNTS !

'AL Capshaw'

Thanks all for the comments.

kfay, your signature says that you had a "modified right sided Maze Procedure", is there more than one kind? My cardio has just said "Maze procedure", I'm wondering if there is some variation or differentiation in the procedure to be aware of when I'm talking to the surgeon? thanks.

KS, I had a "modified right maze" because my congenital heart defect causes a lot of issues with the right side of the heart and if I'm going to develop a-fib, it most likely is going to be generated there. I wouldn't worry about talking to your Dr. about the "specific" maze procedure you are going to have, but rather would be more concerned that he has done them and done a lot of them. It's not just cutting random lines in your heart, but rather a pretty specific pattern that not everyone knows how to do. As Al says, experience counts, not only for your valve work but this too ,and a surgeon who does mostly heart bypass surgery would not be my first choice.

Kim

Partial Maze

Partial Maze

My understanding is a maze procedure can be performed on either or both sides of the heart. Mine was a left Maze. I beleive there is some risk that a full Maze could interrupt the regular electrical signals and so one outcome could be too slow a heart rate necessitating a pace maker. I believe that's a rare outcome. In my case, since I developed problems with A-fib as my heart grew enlarged, my surgeon, in consultation with the entire surgical team, recommended the left Maze along with my AVR. I still have occasional arrhythmias, but have not had any A-fib episopdes beyond several in the first few weeks post op, which is quite normal.

I had a left Maze with MVR. My understanding is the cutting or cautery (I had cold cautery) is done on the INSIDE of the chamber. They also sealed off the Atrial annex, where clots tend to form, at the same time.

This resulted in complete heart block and need for a pacemaker. This was presented to me as not uncommon after a maze. It was discussed beforehand, and was not a shock at all (no pun intended) when the pacer was needed.

Experience counts.

Laurie, I didn't realize that it was done on the inside of the heart. Makes sense though...wonder why they can't do it through a cath then?

Latest posts

Back