Mayo Clinic - I think we've made up our minds

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big_L

We've been seen locally and we've been down to the Univ of Kansas Med center, 7 hours away. We were leaning heavily toward KU, as my spouse has friends and family there. Some members of her family ALWAYS use the Mayo clinic (Rochester) and have offered to be there for her if we'd choose Mayo. I've spoken to a few friends who've used Mayo and they were very positive about it. It's actually closer at maybe 5 hours from here.

They're in-network for my insurance and I called yesterday and we're set up with a cardiologist appt and surgeon appt on two consecutive days in a few weeks.

This decision has helped reduce the anxiety level a bit for us. We're seeing so many more travel options to get there, if we decide driving back after surgery isn't an option.

Hi, big_L

I can feel your growing resolve and sense of direction in this last post....great! It's like putting on a pair of glasses and suddenly the fogginess is transformed to clarity. Having a plan coming together will probably positively affect everything for you and that is exactly what you want to be experiencing about now.

I look forward to hearing more about your journey. Wishing you the best.

I traveled to the Mayo 5 years ago for my surgery and then back twice the year after for ablations and I still go back once a year for a check-up, knowing that the next time I need surgery, I will go there once again. I only can say very positive things about my experience there. If I can give you any info, please let me know. You are in great hands there.

Many people have driven far more than 5 hours post op to get home from their surgeries.

It is very doable. You will be asked to stop every hour or so to enable your DW to walk a bit but should not be a problem.

I'm so happy to read you are focusing in on 'your plan' and it sounds like a very good one.
Please keep us posted.

You go where the heart tells you. Both Mayo and KU have excellent Cardiologists. I go to the KU at Rainbow, just within KCKS. I get the most excellent care. On the drive, 5 hours is better, and you can get stay at a motel close by, or see if they can set up a room for your family during stay. Couldn't hurt to ask, some hospitals have this option now. Keep us updated on when surgery is. Hugs for you and family today. :)

Mayo Clinic is an excellent choice. I'm just about 4 1/2 hours from Rochester where I had my AVR replaced, and the drive home was a breeze. Stopped every hour or so to get the blood flowing in the legs, the fact that its basically just a city of hospitals is very comforting. Great environment, good food, great staff. You won't be disappointed. If you're shopping surgeons you should check out Dr. Burkhart, good guy and has a passion for what he does. Just my 2 cents though..

Latest posts

Back