Matter of time before I need a re-operation

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cewilk

So bad news today at the cardiologist.

I had the Ross Procedure back in July 2012. I chose these method so that I would not be medically separated from the Marines (which would have happened if I got a mechanical and placed on blood thinners). Since the surgery, I had a pretty fast and smooth recovery and was able to complete a deployment in 2013 with no issues. During 2013 I did not have access to cardiology staff so I wasn't sure how everything was going inside, but I felt good so I assumed I was fine.

When I returned in late 2013, I saw my cardiologist again and had an echo in Feb 2014. Results of the echo showed that my EF % was back to normal, but I still had moderate regurgitation and still enlarged left ventricle and ascending aorta. Told me to let him know if I develop symptoms and he'll do another echo in 6 months.

Had my 2nd echo this year last week and got the results today. Not good. He said since my last visit in February, my regurgitation was now severe, and the dilation of my aorta and left ventricle is even now slightly larger than 6 months ago. So essentially, my surgery was ineffective. He told me it was only a matter of time before I would need a re-op, which if/when I do, I will most certainly choose a mechanical this time and ultimately be medically separated from the Marines due to being placed on blood thinners.

Obviously this news was not what I had hoped to hear and I am pretty bummed about this, since it has a huge impact of all of my future career goals. Anyone here have an experience with a re-operation and how did it go? Having another re-op makes me extremely nervous seeing as it will be even more difficult on the second go.

Also, I haven't had any alarming symptoms. I am not quite as aerobically conditioned as I was well prior to my surgery, but I am still able to tolerate pretty strenuous exercise.

Sorry that your medical issue is effecting your career goals. It's tough enough having such medical issues. While a 2nd OHS can be more challenging than the first, it's my understanding that the Ross procedure is rather complex. By comparison, I would think replacing the aortic valve is easier, even when the aortic root/ascending aorta is also replaced.

Hi

Sorry to hear of your failed op. I've had a total of three OHS (at 9, 28 and 48) and each went well enough but with more complications and issues arising from my third. I now have a mechanical and am comfortable with all that such a choice entails.

I realise that your career choice makes your valve options VS life outccomes a different mix than most of us.

That said I would never tell anyone its a good idea to set yourself up for serial redo operations. The potential complications boggle the mind. For instance I am on antibiotics after the 3rd operations infection became clear. I witl probably be on them for another 3 ~ 5 years just to be sure. Since my infection went to the underside of the sternum if it reemerged it could infect the valve.... bad outcomes abound there.

Fortunately I am not having any reactions to my antibiotics at this point, so its all good.

I'm still active and do many activities and a little fitness training. Managing my warfarin myself has essentially freed me to do what I want.

If you choose a tissue valve and get ten years out of it, what will you do then?

Happy to be a sounding board for your thoughts, so please feel free to fire back with questions if you wish

Best Wishes

Many people here have needed a re-op and it went fine. You are young and strong. People double and triple your age have done it. Don't worry, be happy you are here, there's many marines who have had great careers after service.

I am scheduled for OHS on Nov. 24th. My surgeon is letting me choose between mechanical or tissue. While he stressed he may over ride me once he cracks the chest, he was letting me choose. Still through out the process of discussing the valves and the benefits of each, he kept stressing that if it was him, he did not want to go through it a second time. Being the hater of pain that I am, I read between the lines and will probably take his advice and pick the mechanical. At 52 yo I hope to out live a tissue valve! Hang in there and it will work out.

Hi Cardinal fan 61 and welcome to the forum. At age 52, once you get "fixed", you should have a long life ahead of you......and I agree with your doc, "once is enough". The downside(??) of a mechanical valve that is quoted most often is the need for warfarin. You will find much written on this forum about warfarin use and it will help you to know that for those of us that have used the drug for a long time, it is REALLY not a problem and has had little effect on our lives.

BTW, are you a fan of the UofL Cardinals?

I'm very sorry to read your first surgery was not the success we all hope for.
I just want to add I have had two OHS, four years apart. My second was valve replacement with tissue valve. It was the right choice for me
and truly want to share my second surgery was much easier on me than the first. It was same surgeon, same Mass General Hospital, many of the same
nurses and techs etc. Even the same PA. Apples compared to apples and I recovered quickly from the second surgery without a bump. I wish the same for you.

hello,
Really what matters is your health and your life above all, i was just accepted for a very god job and position that every one would dream of but i had to give it up because i needed to had a surgery at this same time and the i couldn't sign my job contract because of that …
I've had 3 OHS, 2 were to fix and the last was a valve replacement and sure i picked the mechanical as i didn't want to get through a 4th OHS !!! MY FIRST SURGERY WHEN I WAN 3 YEARS OLD, SECOND WHEN I WAS 9 YEARS OLD AND MY THIRD 7 MONTHS AGO WHEN I WAS 24 YEARS OLD …
don't be nervous the technology and the Dr. are used to those kinda of surgeries and it's easier than what you think for them

I think you can deal with the next surgery better than the first. I had to go back in 6 weeks post op and except for some muscle spasms and the anxiety regarding the outcome, it was easier. Tissue for me. It was the choice that least affected my active lifestyle. When the valve needs replacing, I'll get it replaced with another tissue valve.

Latest posts

Back