Massage

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mile high

Is there any problem for those of us on coumadin to have massage? What I am wondering about is bruising due to massage.

Thanks

Mile High

Massage

I've had several massages since my AVR surgery last March. I've not had any issues with bruising even though I'm on coumadin. At my request, my massage therapist does really aggressive deep tissue massage on me. Actually, after the day I had today I may be calling her for an appointment tomorrow.

Massage has been recommended by several other members as a means of dealing with the pains many of us have following surgery.

-Philip

I have heard that the really rough, deep tissue massages could cause bruising but regular massages (Swedish???) have never caused bruising for me.

I also go for frequent deep tissue massages. Never had a problem with bruising. One massage therapist actually required me to bring a doctors note before she would give me the massage. My doctor laughed the entire time she was writing it out!

Thanks everyone. Even after 5 years, questions still come up and as usual others have their experiences to share.

Mile High

What about trips to the chiropractor or osteopath doc? My primary care doc, an osteopath, gave me a spinal adjustment on Monday when my INR was at 5.5. I thought she was crazy because I told her how high it was. But she went ahead and said she'd be gentle (she's never gentle) but my back feels better now. I guess I didn't bleed to death. I take it that you would know pretty quickly if you had an internal bleeding???

massage/chiropracter

massage/chiropracter

I have been to both and never incurred any bruising. Chiropractors are very gentle unless they find those sore muscles you didn't know you had and I have had deep tissue massages and NEVER bruised. I thought I was going to cry but never bruised and felt awesome a few days later.

I recommend going to both. They really do improve your quality of life.

kbheart said:
What about trips to the chiropractor or osteopath doc? My primary care doc, an osteopath, gave me a spinal adjustment on Monday when my INR was at 5.5. I thought she was crazy because I told her how high it was. But she went ahead and said she'd be gentle (she's never gentle) but my back feels better now. I guess I didn't bleed to death. I take it that you would know pretty quickly if you had an internal bleeding???

Trust me, you will not "bleed to death" from a spinal manipulation. Why would you think you would bleed internally? No tissue is being broken.

However, a known aneurysm in the immediate or immediately adjacent area to the joint being manipulated would constitute a contraindication.

"13.17 When a diagnosis of a significant aneurysm involving a major blood vessel has been made, a relative to absolute contraindication may exist for high-velocity thrust procedures within the area of pathology. "

Also, make sure that you inform your DO or DC that you are on anti-coagulant
therapy. He/she will take extra precaution with you.

I treat patients like this everyday. And I myself am such a patient.

Thanks, Backdoc! I needed some reassurance. Ever since my aorta dissected 2 years ago and they diagnosed me with a connective tissue disease like Marfan's, I've been paranoid about every medical procedure. It's been hard to trust doctors ever since they missed the dissection on the first trip to the ER and told me the chest pain was probably indigestion. So I go between a healthy skepticism of advice and all out paranoia.:eek:

Latest posts

Back