Martial Arts Return/Running

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philip

I worked out with my Taekwondo/Hapkido dojang the first time since my AVR approximately 5 months ago Tuesday. I was kicked, punched and thrown to the mat (my defense is rusty) and suffered no ill effects except protruding sternum wires and bleeding from both ears...kidding, it was great fun and the only true problem is that I am VERY sore. Rehab stretching just doesn't do the job.
I couldn't help but noticing that I was the only one there with a heart rate monitor, Medic Alert bracelet, and clicking like a wind-up clock.
Now if I just had good news to report on the running. My running is still sucking bottom but it is not due to lack of effort. I am still running at least 5 days per week and doing alternate workouts on the other days. The best "run" to date has been 6.7 miles at a 9:40 pace, ugh... I had hoped to have joined the middle of the pack runners by now but it has not happened. As soon as we get a breath of cool air this far south I am going to run a 5K, perhaps it will shock me out of my slump and motivate me to push a little harder?
Philip

Sounds to me like you're doing great. I'd be elated with both your distance and pace running.

Phillip-
I'm struggling with the same thing, but I'm at about nine months instead of 5. I've been able to get down to about a 8:30 pace for 6 miles, which is about 0:30 slower than I would like. I can say, at least, that I've continued to get better and better - albeit not at the rate I would have liked. Anyways, keep training and I'm sure you'll get it back. :)

I couldn't help but noticing that I was the only one there with a heart rate monitor, Medic Alert bracelet, and clicking like a wind-up clock.

ROTFL!!!

The best "run" to date has been 6.7 miles at a 9:40 pace, ugh... I had hoped to have joined the middle of the pack runners by now but it has not happened.

That sounds like middle of the pack to me! Have you considered cross-dressing?;) :D Seriously, that sounds quite respectable to me for this stage in the game.

Boys,boys,boys......have you not read all the posts by us salty old over a year out dogs? None of us were where we "thought" we should be at 5 or nine or even a year out. So this brings us to the topic of UNCHARTED TERRITORY;namely US!!! Valvereplacement athletes. I think Mark Swik has tried to get us all on board with details of our athletic recovery. Truely, I think we can all say the first 5 months following are STILL RECOVERY. Man your chest was cracked open, your blood put through a machine to (inefficiently) oxygenate it while some very skilled surgeon cut a piece of your heart out and put in a piece of pig,cow or ticking clock. I believe, (and I am not being corny here because believe me sarcasm is my preferred tone,) we are doing great. Phillip and everyone, really think about it,it's an amazing feat to do this. As an athlete we don't think it's so big a deal,because soemone else is always doing better. But, it is a big deal and it's time to claim it!
OK time for bed because I have to run tomorrow and besides I rode 100 miles on my bike last weekend----so there!
Laura
LLJ

I concur

I concur

LLJ said:
Boys,boys,boys......have you not read all the posts by us salty old over a year out dogs? None of us were where we "thought" we should be at 5 or nine or even a year out. So this brings us to the topic of UNCHARTED TERRITORY;namely US!!! Valvereplacement athletes. I think Mark Swik has tried to get us all on board with details of our athletic recovery. Truely, I think we can all say the first 5 months following are STILL RECOVERY. Man your chest was cracked open, your blood put through a machine to (inefficiently) oxygenate it while some very skilled surgeon cut a piece of your heart out and put in a piece of pig,cow or ticking clock. I believe, (and I am not being corny here because believe me sarcasm is my preferred tone,) we are doing great. Phillip and everyone, really think about it,it's an amazing feat to do this. As an athlete we don't think it's so big a deal,because soemone else is always doing better. But, it is a big deal and it's time to claim it!
OK time for bed because I have to run tomorrow and besides I rode 100 miles on my bike last weekend----so there!
Laura
LLJ

With her physical therapy and athletic background, Laura is as qualified as any of us to comment/give guidance. I think both of you are doing just fine and are on track. Stay on course; and let's keep building our numbers for 2007 marathon relay teams! Best to both of you.

Latest posts

Back