Major stressin here - Valve replacement in 10 Days!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My best advice; stop worrying what if, put the blinders on and look straight ahead and see yourself as you want to and need to be, alive and well and there for your family. Don't add to their stress. I was 50 when I had my AVR. I was up and walking the next day, and out of the hospital 4 days later. I was back in my office working half days within 4 weeks. By the 12 week point I was cleared to return to full physical activities. Back to the gym and back to riding my horse.

You are only 30 years old, you will fly through this with flying colors.

Thanks everyone for the support. I truely appreciate the replies. Acceptance of my situation and giving up control were the biggest things Ive been wresteling with, but honestly, over the last week, Ive just been too busy to think about it. Its goin down, its for the better, and Im really just looking forward to getting it behind me and getting back to work and being active. Been focusing on the positives, and realized Ive never know what feeling 'normal' is.

You'll do great, dude! We'll be waiting here to cheer you on when you get to the other side (as they say around here). :)

Dude,

All that has been said here is encouraging. But you are approaching it wisely by making sure your wishes are known. The odds are overwhelming on your side! And you will recover back better than before! But what's not always said is that no one knows the future. You are in the hands of the surgeon and the staff. But is there really any difference between boarding a plane and being in the hands of the pilot or getting into a taxi and being in the hands of the driver?

You must do this for yourself and your family; those here now and soon to be. You will do fine and your recovery will bring you back to life. Be assured of this and trust in your fellow man to do the right thing for you and to do it efficiently.

Cheers,

Joe

Hi neighbor. What if's will drive you crazy. The REAL "what if" is....."what if" I don't have the surgery? That "what if", for me, was much more dismal.....very real chance of sudden death and a life expectancy of 40(maybe).

If you are like the vast majority(a couple million) who have had this surgery, you will be OK afterwards.......and will see your toddler and bun grow up. BTW, my sons where six and eight when I had the surgery....and now they are grandparents....that makes me a great-grandparent.....which is an example of a "what will".

Great reply Dick!! You are so right, the outlook without surgery is indeed dismal for most of us. The pre-op anxiety is normal but in my case it was taken care of as soon I hit the hospital ... a shot or a pill I don't remember but they know what to do and when to do it.

It has only been 8 year since my AVR but life is good and I'm sure MUCH better than if I had not been fixed up!!!

My coworkers thought I was off my rocker when I exclaimed one day, "I wish i could just get it DONE and over with! I want to start living my life again!"

I've been home for 3 weeks, I'm walking a mile at a time, doing some very light weight lifting, and start driving this week. The day before and the day after are the worst.

It'll be over soon, and a distant, hazy memory.

Peace!

I also have anxiety disorder and I was a complete mess before surgery. Mine was done on March 6th of last year and my sons were 1 & 2 at the time. Saying goodnight to them the night before the surgery was the hardest part, but seeing them and hugging them (gently :)) the day I got home was the best part. You will be fine! I do everything I did before surgery, except now I enjoy everything just a little bit more. :)

well people its goin down in T minus 10 hours. Bout to get a magnesium IV. Wife will sponge bathe my chest ... maybe more ;)

Had a heart cath today, they couldnt get the wire thingy into my aorta cause it was too narrow and shaped weird. After sitting still for four hours, and multiple times of having my wife hold my pee jar, I was able to get up and stroll around. Groin brusied up but Im sure no where near what'll be going down tomorrow. Pretty sure more people have seen my junk today than in the last yrs. =P

Peace be with yas!! Told wifey to drop a line on here tomorrow, we'll she if she pulls through.

Craaaaazy

Craaaaazy

Im about to blow your minds- In a crazy turn of events, Im sitting on my couch at home! o_O
Thank God for Trans-Esophageal Echocardiograms!

So 7.5 hours ago I was being wheeled into the OR, still half asleep from only 5hrs sleep. I had my body shaved and slathered up orange like George Hamilton, and I was as much mentally prepared for this as I felt I could ever be. Well, all I remember it waking up in the OR to someone saying, we're not doing the surgery. I look down and grab my chest and say ' So there's no gaping hole in my chest?' Got a 'NO' with a laugh, next thing I remember is waking up in a room. Surgeon came in to explain that the T.E.E. results showed that I did not need surgery right now and that it could probably wait 5-10 years.

So this, to me, begs the question "Why wasnt this done from the get go?!" This more thorough form of echo proved my previous echo AND my heart cath wrong, showing that my aorta wasnt as small as previous thought. Major props to my surgeon though, as he coulda said lets do it anyways. Was told he did the TEE twice just to make sure and that he called other cardiologist in to review as well. Granted I do kinda feel Im just kicking the can down the road, but thats at least 5-10 more years I dont have to take bloodthinners.

There is still concern with aneurysm with my aorta as it was slightly enlarging (was going to be wrapped as well during surgery) Was put on a second blood pressure medicine and will need to closely monitor my BP & heart rate. But for now, Ive just got a legit pain in my neck from where they tapped into my jugular and Im pissing razors from the cath that was in there, but I suppose it to be better than still being unconscious post-op in the ICU.

AMA - TME!!!

WOW! What a surprise. Still, If its not a problem now, while you wait devices and techniques will have time to improve. In the process, you've learned a lot about yourself. I guess my question for your cardiologist, would be "Why didn't you order a heart cath?" Visualization of the valve would seem to me to have been called for before your visit with the surgeon. Be well.

Larry

I will just "ditto" all replies posted. I am 1.5 years post surgery, and I recall all the same fears. It can be overwhelming! In a nutshell: prepare for the worst, but TRULY expect the best! We can't change the cards we're dealt; all we can change is our attitude. It is a lifesaving opportunity---go for it!
Wishing you all the best!

Random Duuuude, that is just so freaky. I got goosebumps when I read it. Don't be surprised if you're walking around like a stunned gazelle for a couple of weeks. Good news nevertheless.

Congrats randomdude!

Congrats randomdude!

This is a victory for now. Celebrate , because like the experts say, improvements are happening daily.
Random Duuuude, that is just so freaky. I got goosebumps when I read it. Don't be surprised if you're walking around like a stunned gazelle for a couple of weeks. Good news nevertheless.

UNREAL!!!!!!!!! 5-10 years is a hell-of-a-lot time to enjoy without having to do this. You might choose to get in better shape if not there already, clean up your diet and just live well and healthy so that whenever this surgery does happen you walk into it strong and walk out strong.

UNREAL!!!!!!!!! 5-10 years is a hell-of-a-lot time to enjoy without having to do this. You might choose to get in better shape if not there already, clean up your diet and just live well and healthy so that whenever this surgery does happen you walk into it strong and walk out strong.

EXACTLY what I plan to do. Im probably 30lbs overweight thanks to drinking waaaay to much & lack of exercise. This all still seems very surreal. Ive taken this as a major 2nd chance that I know many don't get. Plan to ease myself back into cardio at the gym on Monday and cut out a lot of the carbs.

Back