Lowering LDL Cholesterol & the Effects on INR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobThatsMe

Hi Everyone,

I have been reading through some searches of the older posts regarding "Lowering LDL Cholesterol" , and after reading many of them, I had a few questions that I am hoping you can help with.

Sylvia brought to our attention that there was an over the counter aid to help lower LDL called " Cholest-Off", It looks interesting, and some you mentioned that you may try it. If you have, what results have you obtained?

Another option was the use of "Zetia", which acts much the same as the over-the counter I mentioned above, only Zetia is a prescription drug. I was reading of the side-effects and cautions for this drug, and it mentioned to inform your doctor if you are already taking an anti-coagulant, as he may have to adjust your medication.

Usually when I see this warning, it sends up a "red" flag to me, and it usually means the drug will also cause an increase in INR.

So, if any of you are taking any of the above, or any other drug for Lowering LDL Cholesterol, and are on Coumadin, has taking the drug changed your INR, and have you had to adjust your medication as a result?

Thanks for any information you can provide to me.

Rob

ps.... yeah my doctors too would like to see mine lower, but for the most part it has stayed within the same range for over 10 yrs. between 154 and 166. My overall level between 216 and 239. So, I like many here, would prefer not to take drugs with my levels, and try to manage it in alternative ways.

Rob,

As usual I can be of no help.:D I would be interested in this information. My LDL has been creeping up a bit and my primary said at my June physical that he wanted to check it again in 6 months. If the trend is continuing then he would start me on a low dose of something.

I don?t want to take anything but I am stuck with Coumadin and Toprol. INR is and has been stable a long time and I sure don?t want to introduce something into the equation to upset that apple cart.

Tom

Rob, I think the docs always say that exercise and diet can reduce LDL levels.
You just may need to stay away from that fabulous Brattwurst....but I think you can eat all the Lebkuchen that you want:)
Stay with skinless chicken, fish (NOT breaded) salmon is perfect, red meat and seafood only 1-2 times a week, nothing fried, egg whites only, and pile the veggies on your plate.
Snacks: yogurt, and fruits with rich colour: raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, cranberries, melons, mango, grapes, etc.

Am I going to die? :confused:

Just got the phone call on my lipid profile. Total 553, triglycerides 253. I'm not a happy camper. Not happy at all.

My purpose for posting is, I'm now very highly interested in responses to Robs post.

Zetia-no affect on Nate's INR. No affect on his cholesterol either. Crestor, same;

Nathan has genetically high cholesterol-300s, and good cholesterol was always pitifully low. March 2007 we added for the first time Salmon oil (because we HATE fish)1000mg daily. On Monday his cholesterol was a record breaking 158 and his good cholesterol broke a record of 49 :) They are getting rid of the Zetia and leaving him on Crestor 5 mg; We are upping the oil to twice a day and he had no INR change with the oil either. Good luck Rob

If I were you folks, I'd stay far far away from Crestor.

CRESTOR-- rosuvastatin -- causes more muscle and kidney damage than the other statins. AstraZeneca's cholesterol-lowering drug Crestor has more than twice the side effects of rival statin drugs, including deaths. Adverse effects include muscle damage known as rhabdomyolysis; proteinuria or protein in the urine; nephropathy, a reduced ability of the kidneys to filter toxins from the blood; and kidney failure.

http://www.raysahelian.com/cholesterol.html

Oh GREAT Ross! Now you are going to get me all wig-out again :p

Crestor bad even if he is on the most teeny weeny dose??? Seriously do agree though :rolleyes: The long term goal is to get him off all this cholesterol lowering-statin crap and just do natural stuff. This is just the first time we have ever seen any difference, much less a big difference. Did anyone see the new connection between Statins and ALS? It was in an article in the Mesabi Daily News 2 wks ago (would have to hunt for the details)....brought tears to my eyes.

After my increase in Cholesterol levels I was put on Crestor 10mg. 3 months later my level had dropped by 60%...it continues to stay extremely low and my Docs are very pleased. I can't convert Aussie levels to US levels., my level is now 2.1, less than half of the standard Cholesterol level.

As for Warfarin effects, I reduced my warfarin by 5% which was just enough to keep me in-range...The Crestor increased my INR by about 0.5-1.0.

I have noticed NO other side-effects.

Lowering LDL Cholestrerol

Lowering LDL Cholestrerol

I have tried all the statins and had nothing but problems. Straight Zetia didn't work for me. Last year my doctor put me on Vytorin 10/20 and it lowered my reading to 146/40 from a high of 226. I have had no problem keeping my INR between 2 and 3, plus none of the problems that Lipitor etc caused. Vytorin is part statin and part Zetia.

don't sweat the zetia

don't sweat the zetia

i've been on it for a couple of years with no side effects. my cholesterol is 142, which is ideal for someone with cad like me.

and my inr has been consistent and fine with taking zetia.

there you go.

the cholestoff stuff is maybe the same as a statin, but might even cost more.

(that according to my cardiologist)

anyhoo, that's my experience.:D

Folks were off track here. Has anyone tried Cholest off? What kind of results did you have?

Rob I've been reading the reviews on the product and they are mixed at best. Works great for some folks, doesn't work for others. I'm highly interested since I just got my call with total of 553. triglycerides at 253. You bet I want something without another prescription drug. A friend recommended eating 10 garbonzo beans daily. Swears it works. I'm eating them, but I sure would like something to supplement that.

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies so far. I was away for the weekend, and did not get the chance to read them until just now.

1000 mg of Salmon oil and Lebkuchen... hmmmm.... sounds like a slippery situation to me! But hey, if it works! Actually sounds like fun!

Also, as Ross mentioned.. if any of you have tried the non prescription Cholest off, please let us know.

I have seen it in the Publix market for $26.00 per 120. I also found the same on Amazon for only $17.00

Thanks for you advice. I fly to Germany in a few hours and wont be able to sign on for about 24 hours. Hope everyone has a good week!

Rob

Another rare, but known, side-effect of statins is peripheral neuropathy. Here are the symptoms of peripheral neuropathy from a WebMD page:

? A tingling sensation in the toes or in the balls of the feet that eventually spreads up the legs toward the trunk. Less commonly, the sensation may begin in the hands and spread up the arms.

? Numbness in the hands and feet that spreads up the arms and legs.

? Weakness or heaviness in muscles throughout the body. This may be accompanied by cramping, especially in the feet, legs, and hands.

? Sensitive skin that may be painful to the touch. Prickling, burning, tingling, or sharp stabbing sensations may occur spontaneously and usually worsen at night.

? A foot-drop walking gait and/or problems with balance or coordination

If you experience any of these symptoms, tell your doctor right away. If your doctor pooh-poohs the idea, I'll dig up some of the medical literature I found on the subject. My neurologist is pretty certain that a statin caused my neuropathy.

If anyone interested in alternative medicine, i work with a couple companies(metagenics and intergrative therapeutics) who sell only to health professionals. High quality.Email me separately though if interested.

I was put on ZOCOR following my CABG (Bypass Surgery). I also walked 2 miles a day on paved roads. A few years later, I complained to my Doc about sore knees and hips. It was not clear it that was from the hard road surface or Zocor, but the took me off it. I've been told that ZOCOR is now available in Generic form at lower cost.

My cholesterol levels crept up, not to serious levels, but above the latest guidelines for heart patients so my Cardio put me on Zetia 3 months ago. Last week's Lab tests showed a 30% drop in LDL and a 15% drop in Triglicerides. Note that Triglicerides are highly DIET dependent. Cut your CARBS if you want to drop your Triglicerides.

HDL is difficult to raise, but Aerobic Exercise does help (10 to 20%). Niacin or Niaspan also helps to increase HDL if you can tolerate the tingly after effects (or are fortunate enough not to get them).

My INR has been slightly elevated (4.0 to 4.3) after starting Zetia but it is not clear it that is from the Zetia or an error in the instruments. My Coumadin Clinic is doing a study on their finger test instruments because of some false HIGH readings compared with Lab Draws.

Fish Oil seems to be highly regarded. There have been recent reports on Fish Oil quality with suggestions to use Cold Water Fish Oil (fewer contaminants) or Major Brand Fish Oil that is more highly refined to remove contaminants (such as lead and mercury).

'AL Capshaw'

I have watched this thread but not posted because I am not on coumadin and had cabg.

I was on a statin for years; and when I refused to take it anymore, dr put me on zetia. No seeming side effects that I can see. It doesn't do as good a job as statins, but works with a good degree. I watch diet, read labels, obey most of them.

Garbanza beans?

I bought cholestof but didn't stick with it. My bad. I need to go open that bottle again.

hensylee said:
I bought cholestof but didn't stick with it. My bad. I need to go open that bottle again.

Same with Cindy. Her bad. She's now on a statin. Don't remember right off her cholesterol numbers, they weren't that bad to me. She's on the meds due to "so-and-so" syndrome (AKA, I don't remember) which includes "pre-diabetes". She's concerned because her grandmother died of diabetes complications...at 91, mind you, but she died. So, not much to contribute, but Cindy did use it. She's having balance problems, but that started before Cholestoff or the statin.

hensylee said:
Garbanzo beans?

Yes! She swears it works. I don't care how funny something sounds at this point, I want my numbers down before Mr. Dr. Man even entertains statins. I see my local Walgreens drug store has cholestoff on sale, buy one get one free. I think I'll use this opportunity and get me some fishy oil too.

OATS Ross!!!...try them as well...Good old fashioned Rolled-oats (porridge )for breakfast ;) yummo!!!

and that special butter/margerine with plant Sterols in it for your wholemeal toast!

aussigal said:
OATS Ross!!!...try them as well...Good old fashioned Rolled-oats (porridge )for breakfast ;) yummo!!!

and that special butter/margerine with plant Sterols in it for your wholemeal toast!
That's just it, I've eaten so many oats that it turns my stomach to think of having more and it's done nothing for the numbers so far. :(

Latest posts

Back