Lower than usual INR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LUVMyBirman

Well, my INR finally took a little bit of a dump.

Was doing so well. Even with my move from a steamy climate to a cooler one. The weather here just cooled off considerably. My INR went down to 2.6. I was riding high for a while there. Assumed my INR would increase with the cooler weather? Just when you think you have it all figued out. Anyway, it could be worse. I do try to keep it around 3.5 for my mitral valve.

Just had to vent.

Higher than usual

Higher than usual

Hi Gina..Sitting here feeding my face with cabbage. My inr was a 4.2 today..Highest ever..Weather the same but have started walking more...Help Al..does more exercise raise or lower..:confused: :confused: I still have a week before I'm due to call in my INR..I will turn to a Cabbage Patch Doll by then..They were founded about 7 miles where I live in Cleveland, Ga. You with small girls will know them. They are actually born in a huge cabbage patch every 15 min..in a real old clinic (no hospitals back then) They go for over $200.00 a must if you are ever in North Ga. Mountains...The first ones made in 1969? go for thousands of dollars. :D Bonnie

Gina, I note your vent and add to it with one of my own. I just tested at 4.2 with no changes to my routine. I convinced my Anti-coag pharmacist to let it ride and I'd eat an extra salad or two and retest next week, even though she wanted to make a change. This dose has worked well for me and I find the knee-jerk response to a measurement barely outside my range to be frustrating.

Phew, I feel better ;)

Johnny

Cabbage Patch Girl

Cabbage Patch Girl

OMG Bonnie, how I wish my 'original' cabbage patch doll was around. Yes, I actually had one! Since to be replaced with a 1996 version for my little girl. She does not play with hers, the way I did mine. She is into this doll named 'Baby Born'. Zaph Creations brought it to the US a few years ago. Only problem, no accessories. Just so happens Daddy was traveling extensively overseas and was able to take care of that. :). Lucky girl. BTW, it may have been '68'. have to look that one up.

Johnny,
You must be very convincing! I believe you may level out on your regular dose. Proved this to myself time and time again. Still can't convince the nurses. Would rather be higher, than my little low today. Have been taking some OTC cold meds. That usually seems lower it.

When my INR went high last spring, I drank V-8, which I very much miss. I'm not at all sure that was the wisest thing to do, since my INR then went very low.
Isn't the INR affected by the barometric pressure?:D :D :D

Jim..How High?

Jim..How High?

I love v-8 You are talking about the tomato juice with the volka left out:D Ate half a cabbage last night...:eek: Guess I'll eat a sald today and test about Thursday....I just cannot be consistant in my life...so will just flow with the wind.:D But do have sence enough to call clinical nurse if it is still above 3.5.. Give the vit K a chance to lower it. Bonnie

You all seem to know so much about this adjustment of dosage thing. I am just starting to eat normally after the "gourmet" hospital experience.

Have a meeting with surgeon and nurse managing my dose, today. Had INR last Thursday and yesterday(Monday) the gal in the lab thought it was too soon for me to be back. She said most only test once a week at the begining. My 2.5 last Thursday will most liikely be lower due to more salad since then. They say my target is 2.0 to 3.0 so, I will just have to see, and learn. Hope they don't get me swinging all over the place.

I notice most things in packages don't list vit K. What is the best source for info about vit K content?

My mother in law wants me to take flaxseed meal but even the FDA can not give a vit K content for it?

Best to all-you saved my sanity(if in fact it has been saved and I am not "out there" in a world of my own)

Bill

Hi Bill and all

You mentioned something in your last post that piqued my interest....you said that your cardio wanted you to stay between 2 and 3 for your INR. I find that interesting, because both Tyce's thoracic surgeon and his cardio said that 2.5 to 3.5 is better for artificial valves and they prefer it to stay there. How about a quick poll:

WHERE DID YOUR CARDIO SAY YOUR INR SHOULD BE?

How about it, Mr. Lodwick....we definitely value your expert opinion.

Have a great day; it's cloudy and cool here in the northeast, just a touch of fall.

Evelyn

Coumadin Package

Coumadin Package

Foods high in Vit. K should be in your coumadin package.Looking at mine I can tell you what is considered high in vit. K Brussels sprouts, Broccoli, cabbage, Lettuce, Mustard Greens, Parsley, Spinach Watergress..so If it goes on the high side ..some of these foods would probably lower it without changing dosage. Wonder why your range is 2.0-3.0? I thought most mechanical valves were 2.5-3.5....Just different Cardiologist I suppose.....How much are you walking? I'm going now. Bonnie

My INR almost reached 5.0 last spring, and the nurse said if I was over 5.0 they would administer Vitamin K tablets. We discussed that I would drink some V8 instead. Nothing was said about leaving the vodka out.... but I'm not fond of vodka in anything; gin in some things, anything brown straight...
For information on the Vitamin K content of foods, go to http://www.coumadin.com/consumer/INT_VitaminK1.asp. When I printed this out, it was seventeen pages, very useful information, much, much more detailed than the little Coumadin booklet.
I meant to have the emphasis not on what I did, but whether it was wise or not; perhaps it would be better to leave the V8 out....

Just had a follow up with my surgeon. 12 days post op he is cutting me loose. "Fine sounding valve, Sir" He became a joker, walked in acted suprise and said "You still ALIVE?, Then admired the straightness of the scar, "I must have been sober when I did that one" He was not such a joker before the surgery and its a good thing. Really very upbeat. Said if he saw me again it would only be to pat my back so see the Cardio in 4 weeks.

My INR is 2.0 and thought to be perfect. No change in dose and no recheck for 2 weeks. Just stay away from dark greens, they said. He said in some places they don't even anticoagulate with warfarin for aortic valves due to the velocities and low incidence of clots. Maybe an asprin or nothing. So he wants me low.

This is strange news to me, based on lots that has been said here.

Note my St. Jude is a "regent" I did not think they were approved in the US yet acording to St. Jude's website. Anyone else get this new and improved unit??

INR 3.7 !

INR 3.7 !

I had a complete physical exam recently with our family doctor.
My cardiologist and my heart surgeon want nothing to do with me anymore! They are both very busy with sick people and have no time to schmooz with a guy with a 4 year old mechanical St. Jude still clicking away. ( I can't hear it anymore) The AM of my PE I tested with my coaguchek and got INR 3.5. The FP drew a lot of blood and said he was going to get an INR also and check on the coaguchek which had not been tested against a central lab in over two years. The lab got INR 3.7. He called to say all the routine tests were negative but was a little concerned about the 3.7 INR. I told him this was OK, that we mitrals tried to keep our INR's at the high end of the recommended range and 3.5 vs. 3.7 INR is not a significant differance to lower the coumadin dose. We had a nice little discussion and he seemed interested in the VR.Com outlook on self testing and self dosing.He has over 100 patients on anticoagulants. I asked why he doesn't get a coaguchek and test in his office to speed things up for his patients and avoid vein stick? He said his patients insurance encourage sending patients to labs, so financially it would be loss for him.

INR 2-3 with St.Jude Aortic valve

INR 2-3 with St.Jude Aortic valve

This is in reply to Bill's post about an INR of 2-3 or even lower with the ST.Jude aortic valve. This appears to be recent information since he is just post-op with AVR. If valid, this would be great news for me since it takes uncomfortably high coumadin doses just to maintain an INR of 3.0. I would appreciate any feedback on this information.
ChrisR

I just got my St. Jude's valve three months ago. And they are wanting me to be between 2.5 and 3.5. They did let me out of the hospital with a 2.0, but they wanted me to keep working on getting it up. Don't know if that helps, but that's what I've been told...

I appear to be a the ride of my life here. 2.6 to 5.0 in 3 days. I have been sick, so I attribute this to cold meds and my monthly hormonal fluctuation all rolled into one. Fun stuff.

Repeated my controls just to make sure my machine was in step. All is fine there. Have to work on getting the INR back down now. In may case, only takes a day or so without holding my dose completely -2mg today, broccoli side and a salad. The only plus to a higher INR:D

Mine a perfect 3.0 today

Mine a perfect 3.0 today

From 4.3 by eating cabbage, dark lettuce salad and coleslaw. No change in dosage. If mine ever goes high again, would like to try the V-8 juice Jiml talked about.....Nurse said test again in 3-4 weeks. No way..Like to test at least every 2 weeks. Bonnie

Exercise is expected to lower the INR. Your heart beats faster, so it pumps the warfarin through the liver (where it gets metabolized) more times, so the INR goes down. I saw one young woman who weighed 525 pounds get her INR down to 1.0 by increasing her walking tolerance from 0 to 1/4 mile.

It is possible for people with aortic valves to get by with an INR of 2.0 to 3.0 because of the more vigorous blood flow over them. However, I do not keep anyone that low unless their doctor specifically requests it since there is so little difference in dosage or risk of bleeding.

Latest posts

Back