Lovenox Bruising

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PJmomrunner

Just how bruised does one's tummy get on Lovenox? What determines when the bruise appears? How big does each individual bruise normally get? Nickel size? Quarter? Half dollar?

A lot of it depends on individuality, I would imagine. But for me, I always get at least a pea sized (or maybe a little smaller) bruise at the site of each injection. However, I've also been known to get a bruise that ended up being about a silver dollar size or larger. I think those happened when I didn't pinch my skin up enough and may have hit a blood vessel of some kind. But in my defense, I've even had a nurse give me a bruise that big, so it's really hit or miss. The bruises typically didn't show up right away, but a little while after. The bigger bruises grew over time, even. Every time I've been on lovenox my stomach has looked positively purple due to the bruising! At least it's only the larger ones that actually hurt, though.

Like Niki said I agree that it does depend on the individual, your skin type, they way you injected, holding too tight, or maybe there's no rhyme or reason behind it at all. I have very fair skin and bruise very easily and always have (even before coumadin). I think the bruising is similar to when I get blood drawn, a little bruising right at the injection site. I'd say smaller than a nickel most of the time but also have the same experience with them not showing up right away. I guess if you don't use your stomach and use your tush, You wouldn't have to see the bruises, but I have not had the courage to even try.:p

PJmomrunner said:
Just how bruised does one's tummy get on Lovenox? What determines when the bruise appears? How big does each individual bruise normally get? Nickel size? Quarter? Half dollar?

I've had some orange size and some pea sized. I'd say somewhere in between has been more the norm for me. They also take forever to go away. I don't know what determines when the bruise appears. I've only been on them 3 or 4 times and the worst bruising was when the pharmacist drew them up into syringes rather than the pre-packaged ones from the manufacturer. Al has referred to the bruising as eggplant belly and that has been true with me.

You can reduce the bruising by leaving the little air bubble in tip of the needle. The point is to not have any Lovenox on the outside of the needle when you stick yourself.

tommy said:
You can reduce the bruising by leaving the little air bubble in tip of the needle. The point is to not have any Lovenox on the outside of the needle when you stick yourself.
I never get rid of the air bubble, yet still bruise with every injection. Maybe it's smaller than if I did get rid of the air bubble, but I wouldn't know, as I've never done it. I'd hate to see my stomach if that is the case! :D

I have also heard that if you hold ice direct from the freezer until it stings, then inject and put the ice back on it until it stings that it will cut down bruising.

The bruising condition is sometimes referred to as "eggplant belly".

Gnusgal said:
I never get rid of the air bubble, yet still bruise with every injection. Maybe it's smaller than if I did get rid of the air bubble, but I wouldn't know, as I've never done it. I'd hate to see my stomach if that is the case! :D

I never get rid of the bubble either since I don't want the Lovenox on the outside of the needle. I do always bruise much more on Lovenox than I do even when my INR is higher than my desired range.

big time eggplant belly for me too! And I tried the ice also! It does help with the discomfort of the shot, however.

Well, I feel better. I've been hearing tales of what sounds like eggplant belly from afar! My husband's been using the pre-loaded syringes with the bubble and is definitely leaving the bubble intact. I have to say, for the two weeks I was administering the shots he would bruise about 1/3 of the time and never bigger than a nickel. (No clue why--and he didn't seem to think I was doing such a terrific job at the time, BTW. I may be offered that job back again!) He's due back in the country on Tuesday night.

Latest posts

Back