Longest post surgery race/run so far

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RunMartin

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I did my longest race/run since surgery yesterday. It was 23.5 miles with 3000ft of climbing. My heart/breathing felt OK. The only problem was that after about 7 miles of steady running I started getting muscles aches/cramp. This continued until the end. This has also happened several times in training. When I stopped for a drink at each of the check points for about two minutes the legs felt much better when I started again. My breathing and heart felt OK - just the leg muscles. I finished in 4 hrs 23 mins which is about an hour slower than pre surgery (not too bad considering)

Do you know whether the muscle cramps could be down to the Bisoprolol (1.25mg/day)?. Also I do not drink a large amount when running so I was wondering whether it could be that, i.e. I maybe need to flush out the lactic acid more these days? I think that if this is going to happen regularly when doing long runs I will have to quit distance running as it is not a very pleasant experience. I have entered the 3 Peaks Fell Race which is 24 miles with more climbing and strict cut off times at check points.I am now having doubts over doing this. I am not bothered about being a little slower but it would be nice to enjoy the run instead of struggling with muscle pain/cramps.

Swimming is still going well and I am generally feeling better than a few months ago.

Do you know whether I might be able to try different beta blocker to see if they have different side effects (assuming it is the beta blockers that is causing the problem).

GOOD JOB! I would check into any drugs you are on as they could be the culprit on the cramping. Also, I have started using compression socks on long runs due to leg cramps, and they work for me. I know they look funny, but the compression socks up to the knee really keep my muscles from cramping.

Congratulations on the run and finish. I can't say anthing about the meds but I would tend to think the lack of liquids has a lot to do with it, since I have similar problems and defintely don't drink enough. I've been hearing more and more about the compression socks Tom mentioned and they seem to be doing the trick for a few of my friends. Good luck in your next adventure.

Martin, anything that long would be tights! :) I did some research yesterday and they do make special running tights that are the same compression material, you may want to check them out.

WOW. Just WOW. Good for you. I'm impressed by "normal" people who can run like that, but when I see some "special" people run like that (I have a co-worker with rheumatoid arthritis who runs marathons) I am incredibly impressed.

Congrats on the run. In addition to the prior comments, I'd also point out that you're only about a year out. Your body is still adapting in a lot of ways, and this may be one of them. It took me at least 18 months to feel normal, although I did several distance races before that.

For some research on the topic, check out The Science of Sport blog by a couple of research physiologists. They did a series on cramping a while back (http://www.sportsscientists.com/search/label/muscle cramps) that had some good info.

Hope that helps.

Latest posts

Back