Long term Bjork-shiley mitral valve recipient!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aliceann

I’m a newbie to this site. I haven’t seen many postings by people who had valves replaced in their younger years, so with this in mind, here is MY story.
I was born in 1961, with multiple congenital heart defects, along with dextrocardia. With annual visits to a wonderful pediatric cardiologist, I was able hold off on any surgery until I was 8. I lived in Maine, and the surgeon skills here at that time were not advanced enough to handle my scenario, so I had the surgery in Feb, 1969 at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota. Looking back, I can say ‘ignorance is bliss’. I had NO idea what was to come, other than I was getting my first airplane ride. The nurses, physicians and staff at St. Mary’s were all amazing. The mitral valve was repaired, along with the common atrium. Relief of infundibular and valvular pulmonary stenosis was also achieved.
A follow-up visit in 1975 to the Mayo clinic revealed no drastic changes, and my condition remained status quo. Returning, again, to the Mayo Clinic in 1980, at the age of 18, I DID need surgery to repair/replace my mitral valve. I was cautioned that if I received a mechanical valve, I’d be on anticoagulant therapy the rest of my life, and pregnancy would require some serious consideration. Going IN to surgery, I had no idea if the valve could be replace, or what type of replacement I’d receive if a repair could not be done.
In recovery I was given the news that I had indeed received a mechanical valve…..NOT happy. I learned to live with the constant ‘ticking’ of the mechanical valve, and am actually comforted by the sound today.
Fast forward to now (2013)…….. I am a healthy 51 year old. Married, with two amazing adult children. For my pregnancies I took 4 heparin shots/day. I experienced only 1 bleeding issue following the birth of my second child. The switch BACK to Coumadin was attempted too soon and the placental site had not had time to heal. I ended up needing a D/C, and subsequent hospitalization for another week to monitor PT/INR levels. My PT/INR levels since that episode have remained relatively steady all these years. My non-restricted activity level has allowed me to participate in multi-day cycling fundraiser events. Also, since 2006, I’ve developed a passion for walking. My walking partner and I have trained and participated in multiple fundraising events across the eastern states.
I have ‘enjoyed’ 32+ years with my Bjork-Shiley mitral valve. I know there have been recalls over the years on valves by this manufacturer, however mine, thankfully, was not on any recall list. The only significant issue that’s developed is a severe sub-aortic stenosis. In a stress-echo just recently it was made clear that the aortic valve itself is OK. The stenosis seems to be scar tissue that’s formed around the mitral valve implant site. At this point no surgery is being recommended, however I still have a TEE scheduled this week. If nothing else, these tests will provide great baselines.

Welcome Aliceann. I think you will find this forum helpful even tho you are a "long timer" and I am sure your experiences can help others who are facing surgery....or have recently gone thru the surgery. There are a few on this forum who have, or have had, the Bjork-Shiley valve.....and it is good to know that mechanical valve such as yours, do in fact, last a long time.

Hello Aliceann and welcome to the forum. It's good to hear that your Bjork-Shiley mitral valve has held strong all these years.

I have two mechanical valves, mitral and aortic, implanted back in 1975 in Houston. They were called the Cooley-Cutter valves, pretty similar to your Bjork-Shiley, named after one of the surgeons that performed the surgery.

In 2006, I had to have the mech. aortic replaced with a new St. Jude. The surgeon did not want to mess with the mechanical mitral because he said it appeared to be working okay. That however has changed since then, and it is now stenosed due to scar tissue. So far, they are just watching me but I have to take all sorts of medications to keep CHF and PH at bay. For years and years however, the only meds I took were coumadin and lanoxin. Oh well, such is life, huh?

Anyway, I think that the TEE you are scheduled for, will give your doctors a better picture of how to proceed with you. Good luck and don't be a stranger. There's always someone around to listen and offer you support. :)

HI Aliceann,

Welcome to the forum and thanks you for sharing your story. Sorry to hear about the new diagnosis of sub-aortic stenosis. Wishing you all the best with your upcoming test. AS N Jean said, we are here to offer you support. Keep us posted.

Well, aliceann, Welcome to this board and sharing your story. It is an inspriation to the younger ones here what we , back in the day, went through. Most of the operations back in that time was experimental and were quite successful. I had bypass, repair on the aortic valve at age eight in 1973. I had the valve replace 28 years later, age at 36 in 2001. Times have changed and methods have changed. I am proud of you and glad you have found us. Proud that you do walking, so do I. Glad that you are doing well. Keep up the good work and share your wisdom with the yougsters that come in here. Welcome to the club. Hugs for today.:D

Hi Aliceann, and welcome!:smile2:

Your experience, particularly with the two pregnancies and a mechanical valve, are sure to reassure many young women facing replacement. Thanks for sharing, and I look forward to hearing what the TEE reveals.

Latest posts

Back