Local 5 & 10K

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kodi

Yesterday was the annual Kingman Hospice race. I've done this the last 4 or 5 years. Tough course in that it is out and back...well really up and down. The toughest part is the first starting at 3300 and going up to 3550 in 1.3 miles. The rest for the 10k continues up to 3650. The fun part is coming back down. My time altho nothing spectacular was 1:07:45, 3 minutes faster than last year. I was a little disappointed in the downhill part, thought I'd do a little better. 2nd in my ag, 1st was 5 years younger than me.
The best part of the race was my grandson. Last year he ran 18:12 and came in 2nd overall. His plan was to beat the guy who was first last year and he did by about 1 minute. The other guy is 46. He was hoping for first and lead most of the 5k but a 20+ tailed him and took him toward the end. Jim's time was 17:04 losing by 7 seconds. He was disappointed but 1st in the 13-25 ag. The winner was really cool and couldn't believe Jim is only 13. First place received a huge trophy, a couple gift certificates and gave one of the gift certificates to Jim and was disappointed the race director didn't annouce Jim's achievement at his age. Not many would do that.

That's pretty competitive for 13. Most high schoolers at 16-17 are in that range but few get much faster. The best HS seniors will be around 15 minutes which doesn't seem too far off for this kid.

Wish I was in shape for a 10K. There's one coming up this Wednesday evening that I wanted to do, but I've been nursing a sore ankle for three weeks now and even a 5K is probably out of range right now.

Kodi, nice story....it's good to hear our running community is still so warm to newcomers and youngsters....

Latest posts

Back