Little Leak going on - My Dad

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojofromct

My dad was going to get his blood levels checked and Dr Felder his CARDIO came in and wanted to see my dad, the ECHO a few weeks back showed my dads new valve leaking a little. He has to go back and have one in 3 months. He said it was normal...But that is just too weird...Not sure what is going on...He can still go back to work in a month and stuff but the ECHO and listening to his heart shows a very small leakage...I already talked to Ross and he told me that - It's normal for a small leak to occur. Sometimes it seals up over time on it's own when the tissue surrounds the suture ring.
But you know me, I worry! AND now I am not smoking and I am really trying to calm down here...UGH!!!

Little leaking can be normal after surgery and usually it gets better as the tissue grows around the ring. but in some cases the small leaking stays and usually isn't a problem.

OK JoJo,
Take a big deep breath. Yes, it is possible that your dad might have a small leak. Try not to stress. I'm sure his body is still trying to remodel itself to the new valve. Healing inside takes a little longer than on the outside. Since your dad's doctor doesn't seem to worried yet, then you need to go with the flow at this time. Try to wait out the 3 months to his next echo and remember, Stay Away from those cancer sticks. Just get on the forum and vent your concerns, we are a lot more healthy for you then the ciggies.:cool:

Yup, there can be some leakage until tissue grows over the small leak. Many are around the sewing cuff and correct themselves after a few months, as others have said.

JoJo:

Your dad's doctors are correct. It is quite common to have some leakage, however minor.
I have a little perivalvular leakage (around the sewing ring) and I'm nearly 6 years out from surgery. My doctors keep an eye on it. I've been told it probably won't require any attention, other than monitoring.

Yup, I understand now. Its normal. Also I forgot to mention the ECHO was from 3 weeks ago and also the Cardio couldnt even HEAR the leak, it was so small, it showed up on the ECHO very small.

I also still have a mild leak (I didn't right after the surgery), but a year later I did and still do. There are a lot of members who still have a mild leak. Besides, I think they actually consider a mild leak within the parameters of "normal" and say that if an echo were done on everyone that over half the population would have a mild leak of at least one valve.

Latest posts

Back