Limitations

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clumsydancer

Hi all!

I just had my AVR and I'm curious. I played sand volleyball and softball amongst other sports. What are the limitations now that I am on Coumadin for life? Can I play volleyball still? I'm sure football is out, lol. But, no worries there, never played anyway.

Thanks!

Nate

Hi Nate-

I wasn't told of any particular limitations (but then I also wasn't told how often to test my INR, what foods to stay away from, etc. . . .) so I got most of my info from Dr Google. So I can't be of much help about what limitations we should have!!

However I can add my experience, which has shown me that I'm not the delicate little about-to-bleed-to-death-any-moment flower that I was led to believe. Two instances:
1) I got cracked HARD in the head by my kayak which got picked up by a wave and hurled at me; it was a sickening crunch and a huge lump and I had no choice but to paddle 1/2 hour back to the cars, and then it was a further hour before I got to the hospital, where they were not concerned about the warfarin issue at all.
2) I fall off my mountain bike a lot. I am a terrible rider. I've had numerous cuts and bruises and have lived to fall off another day. I really thought I wouldn't be able to ride again but that's clearly not the case!

The guideline I go by now is not to get so far out in the bush that it would take over half an hour to get medical attention. But overall, I'm just really not worried. As for softball and volleyball, I can't see why they would be an issue, even if you got beaned by a softball it would have nothing like the force of what I've done to myself and worst case you're a lot closer to medical help than I am in the Australian bush :) (My INR is 3.0-3.5).

My diagnosis - go forth and live your life. Maybe don't take up knife juggling.

Hi Nate. Unless your cardio or surgeon say otherwise...I wouldn't worry about sand volleyball or softball. You may bruise a little easier....but maybe not. I have taken some bad hits over the years and have never had any bruising that require a visit to my doc or ER.....except for the times that stitches were required. Fortunately, that happened only a few times. Warfarin(Coumadin) only requires using a little common sense....and a very slight extra dose of caution.

I've played volleyball several times, ride bicycles and motorcycles, rollerblade, run on and off road, and skate. I try not to hit my head too hard, and have so far succeeded at that. (No real goose eggs, just a few scrapes and bruises. I also sail, and sometimes travel quite far from help, and I work in a shop full of sharp things. No restrictions, luckily.

Once you recover from surgery you can probably pick your sports up where you left off. I know I did and I believe you will too.

Haha! Thank you guys for the awesome feedback. I was feeling kinda down about my new lifestyle and you've perked me up. My only depressive issue now is life longevity. I do think a lot about that post surgery.

My only depressive issue now is life longevity. I do think a lot about that post surgery.

I'm 65 now, got my valve 22 years ago. I have run over 1,000 mi and 10-12 races every year since, some years as many as 25-30. I've run track races from 200 meters to 2 mi. and road races from 3 to 13.1 mi. I can swim a mile, throw shot put, and did 5,000 pushups last month, as many as 400 in one day. I'm not a natural athlete by any means. I work hard at it every day. Did I mention I'm 65 now?

My only depressive issue now is life longevity. I do think a lot about that post surgery.

We all have these feelings from time to time.....I know I did, but not much anymore. My docs told me, back in '67, that I would not reach 40 with my native diseased valve.....and now I am pushin' 80 and have almost reached the current "normal" life expeactancy of 78. A little fear is good because it keeps us on our toes, but I always try to put it in the proper perspective.....without the surgery, I would not be typing this post.

Your only longevity issue should be worrying if you have enough money to fund your retirement! You have been fixed, you will live as long as anyone who hasn't needed to be fixed :)

Limitations exist in the mind, your body will adapt. I'm 10 years senior to Jack and still run marathons, 8 since my valve replacement in 2006. I'm slower than molasses now and it took quite a while to come to the realization that it's okay to be slow.
As far as the longevity, I think we probably all thought of that from time to time, but in time the thoughts become less. I decided I'm going to outlive my mothers age and she died at 102 and 5 months. :)

Latest posts

Back