Lillian's Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Seabush

My mother's surgery is scheduled for tomorrow morning at 7:30am. I'll keep you up-to-date when I can. Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

Crystal

SeaBush

Best wishes to your Mother. I'm sure she'll
do just fine!

:) Judy

Hi Crystal-

Thinking about your mother tonight and wishing her the best surgical result possible. We'll be waiting to here how everything went.

Surgery Called Off

Surgery Called Off

My mother's surgery was called off. Her PT levels were too high. She's been off Coumadin for almost a week but her levels were too high for the operation to go forward.

Crystal

What a bummer!

What a bummer!

Seabush...what a disappointment! I had no holdups except for a 8 hour wait (during which I thought I was starving), but can empathise how awful a postponement would be. Your Mom, Lilllian, is still in our prayers.

Disappointment

Disappointment

My mom ready upset about this setback. She was prepared for the surgery. Now we to do this all over again. :(

Lillian/Crystal - Sorry to hear about the delay. At least they are being careful and keeping close track of things. I know that once you get yourself ready, it is a disappointment to be kept waiting. Anyway, I will keep you in my prayers and hope the re-schedule helps in some way.

lillian & crystal,
i know you must both be soooo disappointed. a similar thing happened to my husband joey. he was scheduled for his rp on sept.12 the day after the wtc attack and although we were so mentally prepped, it was postponed to today (9/20). the wait and doing it all over was horrendous, but the day came and he's doing really well so far. the waiting is really the absolute orst!
when is it rescheduled for? please let us know.
our prayers are with you,
sylvia

Hi Crystal and Lillian

Hi Crystal and Lillian

Lillian-

So sorry to hear that your surgery had to be postponed. They never tell you about those little tests that you have to pass the day of surgery:

Let's see what your temperature is

We're gonna take a protime

Have you eaten or drunk anything this morning?

But didn't we tell you that you had to be here at 4:00 AM in pre-op?

Did you take the pills you were supposed to, and did you not take the pills you weren't supposed to?

Take care, they won't forget about it, guaranteed.

I'll say a prayer for your mom tonight before going to bed! Good luck and stay cool!!!

Zazzy

That will teach me to read all the posts before posting. I'm soooo sorry that your mom's surgery was postponed. I went through that living hell too.

Take care,
Zazzy

Rescheduled

Rescheduled

My mother's surgery has been rescheduled for Monday, September 24, 2001. That's my birthday. :(

Beginning of week is good luck for surgeries. May you have lots of it!

Peter

hi crystal and lilllian,
i just posted a message to maxximom in presurgery. she had a similar thing happen (delay) and so did we. my husband, joey, finally had his surgery yesterday. the waiting is awful, but we looked at it as "found time".
please keep us posted. good luck and our prayers are with you.
-sylvia

Update

Update

Hello everyone,

My mother had surgery yesterday morning. According to the surgeon, everything went relatively well. They replaced her aortic valve and repaired her tricuspid valve. He left the mitral valve (mild leak) alone. Her recovery seems a bit slow to me. She's still got her breathing tube in. She's also hooked up to a heart pacer and has given some blood pressure meds. She's probably in a bit more fragile condition based on the recovery stories of others I've read here. They are slowing weaning her off meds and the pacer. So far. So good. Please continue to keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

God bless

Hi Crystal-

Congratulations on your mother's surgery. Don't be concerned that your mother's early condition seems a little slow. My husband has always had a hard time "waking up" from the anesthesia, and his breathing tubes and pacer usually stayed in longer than some others. Anesthesia affects some people more than others, and I suspect that if the surgery is more complicated, they really give you the Max dose. Everyone reacts in their own individual way.

Best wishes to her and to you, it must be a relief to have it a done deal.

Relief

Relief

It is a relief that she came out of surgery okay. She had to have a blood transfusion. They indicate this is standard operating procedure at Washington Hospital Center. I'm sure she will not be thrilled with this. She couldn't give her own blood prior to the procedure. The doctor didn't recommend she give it based on her health and she was so concerned about getting a transfusion.

She's on a pacer and some medication to keep her heart rate strong. She also has a breathing tube in her mouth. I spoke with the nurse this morning. She's still hooked up to the pacer but isn't using it. They are also slowly weaning her off medication. That's a positive sign. I'm happy for this.

They don't see her leaving ICU today. She needs to be off some of the equipment (i.e., pacer and ventilator) and heart rate medication before they do that. If they can get her off some of that today, I hope she'll be in her own room tomorrow.

Crystal,
I hope that your mom is doing better... I think the postponment is worst than the actual surgery... I was postponed five times before my surgery!

I'll keep Lillian in my praryers... I'm sure that she will be fine, especially with all the good thoughts from this group!!!!

Take care,
Zazzy

Crystal - Great to hear that the surgery went well. Please tell Lillian that I am anxious to hear that she gets back on her feet soon. Don't worry about the pacer, I was on it for a good week, they were nervous about my afib and problems getting my heart restarted. Keep us informed, we are anxious to hear updates.

Another Update

Another Update

They've been removing some of her medications today. They were hoping to remove her breathing tube but she experienced some distress without it. Has anyone ever had a similar problems? I'm concerned with the possible complications (e.g., pneumonia) of having the tube in for a long time.

Latest posts

Back