Lillian's Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crystal - I guess them removing medications is a good sign. Unfortunately, I have not heard about anyone having problems with breathing and having to keep the breathing tubes in. I would be concerned in your place, however time will help. I was in the ICU for three days, so that shouldn't be a concern. If they took the chest tubes out, that is a good healing sign. Hope Lillian gets better more quickly and I will add some prayers.

Today's Update

Today's Update

My mother was moved from ICU to her own room this afternoon. She doesn't have the breathing tube in but is getting some oxygen. The doctor and nurse practitioner do not appear to be concerned with this. She received a lot of fluids during and after surgery and they believe this has contributed to her shortness of breath. She doesn't have any IVs (Note: She's got a catheter for drawing blood) or tubes in her but she's taking a ton of medications. Here's the *short* list.

Coumadin (Anti-Coagulant)
Aspirin (Anti-Platelet)
Lovenox
Digoxin (Heart Function, Heart Rate)
Captopril (Ace Inhibitor)
Lasix *(Diuretic)
Tylenol (Pain Medication)

She's doing very well from a few days ago. Shortly after surgery she encountered a host of problems including slow heart rate, irregular heartbeat, high blood pressure, low blood pressure, etc. Despite all of this, they say she's doing very well. Stay tuned for my next update.

Crystal

hey crystal!
joey is finally coming home tomorrow, exactly a week after his rp. he came out of icu very quickly but the anesthesia didn't leave his system for a long time. he has had a really hard time clearing his lungs and coughs a lot! also, the fluids, he will come home on lasix too. he went into the surgery with a scratchy throat which turned into a drip/cough and he is bringin up a lot when he coughs. beware of what painkillers they administer... joey freaked out on percoset! motrin was good and they will send him home tomorrow on tylenol with codeine.
i think the name of the game is "patience". joey has had daily bouts with a-fib and is now on amioderonw to control it. soumadin too, since they come and go like a rolller coaster.
so, just wait it out. most things clear up and will if they don't initially... i hope.
god bless and we're all thinking of you both.
sylvia

Crystal - I haven't heard from you in a few days and thought I would ask about Lillian's condition. It is about a week since her surgery, is she going home soon? Please give me an update.

Latest Update

Latest Update

My mother is still in the hospital. We had hoped to bring her home today. However, she's still having some problems breathing. She's experiencing shortness of breath. They found some fluid under the lungs. I'm told this isn't unusual for this type of procedure and that it eventually dissipates. The concern is whether this fluid buildup has/is causing her breathing problems. She was on oxygen up until this morning. She's breathing on her own now. She took another chest x-ray this evening. This should tell us where we stand as it relates to when she can come home.

Crystal

Prayers for your mother that she will be coming along better very soon. I know how worried you are. After all, she is Mother and all of us get upset when it is Mother. So glad the surgery is done and now they can work to fix her up to being a new person, once they get all the 'bugs' worked out. Prayers for you, too. God bless

hi crystal!
thanks for keeping us up to date on your mom's condition. hopefully she will come home soon and as hensylee said, "the kinks will get worked out". joey and i thought he'd come home after his rp and he would automatically be a new man after some r & r...... not!!!! there are, i have now learned, stumbling blocks that need to be overcome... none of these are abnormal, but still they can be alarming when one isn't prepared for them.
it seems patience is a key word during the recovery stage.
i wish you and your mom all the best. my prayers are with you. keep us posted please.
God bless and be well,
sylvia

Home At Last

Home At Last

I was able to take my mother home today. :) She's on about eight different medications. She was on three when she went into the hospital. Hopefully, the number will subside in time. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers.

Crystal

Latest posts

Back