Lightheaded post workout

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmyR

Hello,

i am about 3.5 months post AV repair. I have started a little workout. Little pushups and stretches, bicep curls etc all at low weights. I have noticed that sometimes i get a lightheaded feeling during and post workout. The doc says my reports are all fine but i am confused. My reports show good progress. Does any one els have that kind of feeling?

It's early days. You've just had a long layoff from exercise (I'm not counting walking as much exercise!) so your body will need some time to adjust.

As long as you don't feel really awful, keep it up and you will get there - baby steps!

Amy,

Since your recovery is progressing well and since this happens only while exercising, you need to drink water before and after your workout. If you are drinking enough water, I would eliminate the push-ups at this stage....just my 2-cents thoughts.

What meds are you on? I don't feel as good after my light workout (a touch of lightheadedness) compared to pre-surgery. I'm attributing this to the beta blocker and hope that it will improve with time and as the meds are adjusted.

Skigirl- you are oodles of postivity. :)
Eva- I gave the pushups a thought too. :)
Big_L- I am on Calaptin 40- to avoid palpitations and irregular rythm.
Losar25- for Blood pressure &
Ecosprin- Baby asprin.

I also feel it could be the meds. Big_L how many months post op are u?

AmyR (and others) - I did have some initial light-headedness when I first went back to the gym. It gradually diminished over time and with adjustments to meds, and now at 2 1/2 years post-op, I would say that things are better than my pre-op "normal" and I don't have the light-headedness any more. If all else is said to be going well, I would suggest you just be careful and give yourself some time to heal. It will happen at your own pace. Just listen to your body and don't push too hard too fast.

Thanks epstns. I am going slow. I do just wall push ups and little curls. I workout for 20 to 30 mins with a good gap between exercises and walk 30 mins daily. :)

When I told my cardio I got occasional light headness after exertion, he changed my blood pressure medication and it went away. This was at 2 months. I had an AVR as well.

My experience, I was told by the rehab techs that when they take a beginning BP, that after a work out, your BP drops below the starting point after exercise. T started rehab at around 4-5 weeks post op. After a week into rehab, the BP meds I was on caused my BP and pulse to drop way low after exercise and I ended up in the Emergency Room. They took me off the BP meds before returning to rehab with everything subsequently fine. But besides this, it is also important to take it slow with recovery. Give yourself time to heal and recover. I am almost a year post op I can do anything without restrictions.

AmyR - I'm 4.5 weeks post surgery. I was on 75 mg Metoprolol tartrate twice a day, this was just reduced to 50 mg.

Thanks for the replies. I guess its the BP tabs. Cause during the last follow up one of my docs wanted me to get off the BP tab whereas my surgeon preferred i continue it for a little while more. So yeah, i guess i will take my exercise a little more slowly. but will surely ask the doc if i get a chance to talk to him.

My experience in this country is that the surgeon does not prescribe the blood pressure medications, it is not their specialty. Blood pressure medications after surgery are prescribed by the cardiologist or your family doctor. You may want to get a second opinion on the blood pressure medications.

Latest posts

Back