Lexapro? Update to Question for you thread...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason

Always Assume Positive Intent
In a previous thread (http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?38134-Question-for-you...) I explained that I wasn't feeling very good for the last several days. This is an update to that, with a new topic altogether so creating a new thread.

Yesterday during cardiac rehab I had a great workout, and was resting prior to checking for recovery heart rate and pressure. While I was sitting, my heart rate dropped nicely as it usually does. I started feeling a bit lightheaded and my throat felt tight, and at about the same time my heart rate elevated. The people running rehab got nervous and called my cardio's nursing staff, and we all conferred for a bit. It was determined after going through several iterations of how I have felt the last several days that I may be having anxiety issues, and they asked me to go to my primary care physician and discuss with her.

I met with her today, and she agreed that it sounds like anxiety. After going through all of my feelings in the past few weeks, I believe this to be correct as well. She has given me three weeks worth of Lexapro and wants me to take this for quite some time, maybe into next spring. She said that anxiety is common with OHS, and that my symptoms were in most cases classic.

I am not excited about taking another drug, let alone one for anxiety. I did some checking online and it appears that there is an interaction with warfarin, causing the INR to increase potentially. I am going in tomorrow for an INR check and will talk with the nurses at the clinic about this, and how concerned to be or if we just increase the frequency of INR checks, etc.

Does anyone else take Lexapro, and if so do you also take warfarin? Has anyone had any difficulty getting off of Lexapro, as I don't think I want to be on something like this long term? Thanks in advance...

You may not have to fret to much Jason on taking this new drug. But getting tested once a week for the next couple of weeks might be something to consider. to see if your INR is being effected.

Here's what I found on lexapro and warfarin:

WARFARIN SODIUM (in Warfarin Tablets) may interact with ESCITALOPRAM (in Lexapro Tablets)

Although the cause of this potential interaction is not clearly understood, escitalopram may increase the anticoagulant effect of warfarin. Warfarin is generally used to prevent your blood from "coagulating" or forming blood clots. When escitalopram and warfarin are used at the same time, your blood may be much less likely to clot and this may increase the risk of excessive bleeding. If these drugs are taken together, your doctor may want to monitor you closely for at least 10 days after therapy with escitalopram is either started or stopped. Blood tests can be used to make sure that you are getting the right amount of warfarin. If you are experiencing problems, it may be necessary to adjust the dose of warfarin.Discuss this potential interaction with your healthcare provider at your next appointment, or sooner if you think you are having problems.

This interaction is poorly documented and is considered moderate in severity.

Hey Jason, I have had a very stressful 16 months when my husband died unexpectantly, and then the mortgage issues, the kids, work and this heart issue out of the blue. Well I have struggeled with anxiety for 30 years and have been on different meds for it. I am now on Lexapro, and my MD added Wellbutrin to boost the effectiveness of the lexapro. My INR has been great , right in the middle of the range and has been easy to regulate so far. Anxiety can throw many things off in our system, and the stress of OHS has increased my anxiety alittle bit, the A Flutter really effected my anxiety. Now with my heart rate ok I was able to amble around Target today for a hour, and finish my shopping without anxiety. It is a mile stone in my path back to my life, work, etc. Discuss this with your MDs but Lexapro is not a bad drug, far fewer side effects then the other meds for anxiety.

Jason,

In case it might cause you any fatigue (one of its side effects), check with your doctor if you can take it at night. Give it a try. Anxiety is bad and if this will work, you shall feel much better. It shall not affect your INR as long as you do not take it at the same time you take Warfarin.

Keep us posted.

Jason,

I have had anxiety all my life and now with my impending OHS, I was prescribed extended release xanax.... it's been a god send. :biggrin2:

Hi, Jason,

I was not on warfarin with Lexapro, but my GP prescribed it for me when my mother was ill wih cancer. It may have helped with my anxiety/depression, but it did make me very tired. In addition, I stopped taking it cold turkey and I absolutely DO NOT recommend that. It made me very, very irritable and slightly dizzy. When you do stop this med, make sure you are under the guidance of your doctor. I had to go back on Lexapro and then be weaned off it over a period of a few weeks.

Best,
Debi

Good on you. I had a lot of trouble with anxiety and depression after my surgeries, even ending up in hospital thinking I was dying. I wish I had been medicated then.

I went onto Lexapro after injuring my back and having to quit my job last year. It did not affect my INR, but I had a test after a week to make sure. I had trouble sleeping at first, and was advised to take the lexapro in the morning. It took a while to settle down, but it really helped. I am off it now, but if I need it in the future I will not hesitate to go back to my GP for another script.

Latest posts

Back