Let's compare our sternums...does your's feel weird too?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelle D

Hi everyone, most sternum posts on here are regarding severe irregularites, I just wanted to get an idea of what a not too irregular sternum feels like for you guys.

My sternum when run my finger down the middle where the incision was it feels quite bumpy to the touch and in some spots is give me a strange sensation of something kind of jagged rubbing inside of my skin, only when I'm touching in. I also noticed when I lie down and feel the bottom of my sternum it feels like it bows out slightly, it isn't noticable when I look at it but I can feel it. Also it seems the bottom of my left rib cage is higher than the right. There are parts of if that I can't feel because I have keloids on the top and bottom of my scar.

Same deal here.
The bumps and jags under the skin on my scar are the permanent wires, I'm thin so they are prominent and a bit gross.
Bottom of left rib cage seems to have a little crook on the edge of the bone, maybe this is from the rib
spreading device ? I really don't know for sure, but all in all it feels solid enough and I'm not exactly doing
any judo or gymnastics. ;)

I am thin also and mine feels about like Michelle describes but I did have to have two wires removed that felt very sharp to the touch. My surgeon said they probably would have been fine if I weighed as much as the "average" American....

Hello -
I am the average american plus 20 pounds and over the course of 10 years the top wire is still prominent but the others have disappeared into the extra flesh/poundage I presume. My scar is hardly noticeable. They did a great job with that superglue.

Latest posts

Back