length of mechanical valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, GF, as you can see from the responses you triggered, we cannot discuss certainties. In other posts, I've mentioned my Uncle Bob who received a St Jude Mechanical in his first AVR. Twelve years later, tissue growth impaired the function of his valve and it had to be replaced. At age 70, he chose a St Jude Porcine valve which is still functioning well for him a decade later. There just is no foolproof way to determine in advance how any given valve will perform over time in the chest of any individual person.

This is an instance where you educate yourself and then discuss things with your surgeon, the expert that you hire to advise you. Then you run with your choice and don't look back. You then concentrate on staying as healthy as you can which seems to be the best thing you can do to care for your new valve.

Larry

I too thought a mechanical valve would last forever. Mine only lasted 5 years before needing to be replaced. My surgeon couldn't get the mechanical to seat properly so I ended up with a tissue valve at the age of 47 will scar tissue (pannus) grow quicker this time or will the valve wear out first? Who knows but, I am looking at a 3rd and 4th in my lifetime. Not happy about any of that but, it is what I have to deal with. That is if my pulmonary hypertension doesn't get me first. We have to make decisions with the knowledge we have at the time and even then sometimes it is out of our control.

thanks ross although some would disagree lol,as queenie said whatever you pick it still can be a crap shoot,no way in saying what will happen in 5 10 15 yrs down the line,so lets party

From what I understood, the valves (mechanical) have been stress-tested, and will last for over 150 years, and more. Where they can go wrong is round the sutures, they can get growth on them, scar tissue can build up, clots can form on them etc., etc., and that is what makes the valve perform at less than peak efficiency, and maybe necessitae a further surgery/replacement.

There are all sorts of variables... My valve was recalled just months after I got it. I still have it 25 + years later.

My St. Jude mechanical is still going strong at 28 and a half years. It was put in in 1981. I'm counting on no problems with the tissue around the valve, blood clots, infection, etc. LINDA

The physical, mechanical valve can outlast you and your firstborn, and probably your firstborn's firstborn. Tough thing to hand down, however.

Some issues that can make its tenancy in your chest less than permanent are...

- Structural valve issue (very uncommon)
- Growth of pannus (scar tissue) that interferes with the valve's operation
- Growth of cells ("vegetation") on leaflets or where it limits the operation or opening size
- Infectious endocarditis, which damages the tissue holding the valve and can grow vegetation
- A blood clot, which can lodge at, in, under, or adjacent to the valve, causing a stroke risk
- Active connective tissue disease, where myxomatous (weak) tissue lecannot hold the sutures

However, it's difficult to find studies that list reoperation rates for these mixed causes, as studies are mostly done only to illustrate structural failure reoperations, which are minimal. As most studies that do deal with mixed causes also mix mechanical valve types (including early stainless ball-and-cage valves), they don't accurately reflect the redo rate for modern pyrolytic carbon valves.

From those that I believe are closest to the mark, the rate seems to be only about 6% of mechanical valves requiring replacement at 15-20 years from all causes.

There are also factors unrelated to the valve that may cause another heart operation, such as coronary blockages, an aortic aneurysm, or problems with another valve.

You will certainly have more reops if you were to go for a tissue valve, especially if you're less than fifty. Whether you will have another with a mechanical valve is largely up to your individual chemistry.

Best wishes,

Has this been mentioned? Do an onsite advanced search of "valvular strands" also.

What to expect

What to expect

Bottom line...life comes with few guarantees. Still, the odds of you having a good run with your new valve are pretty good. Your odds are probably much better for a long life with a new valve than with your old one.

-Philip

Heart Valve Recovery

Heart Valve Recovery

Bacterial Endocarditis is serious enough to kill you. It wouldn't have mattered what valve you had. If your valve became infected, it would be replaced regardless or you wouldn't be here to tell us your story.

Who is at risk for developing bacterial endocarditis?
Patients most at risk of developing bacterial endocarditis include those who have:

•An artificial (prosthetic) heart valve, including bioprosthetic and homograft valves
•Previous bacterial endocarditis
•Certain congenital heart diseases
•Acquired valve disease (for example, rheumatic heart disease)
•Heart valve disease that develops after heart transplantation
•Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM)
•Mitral valve prolapse with valve regurgitation (leaking) and/or thickened valve leaflets

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/heart/disorders/valve/sbe.aspx

While I'm sorry the endocarditis has interrupted your life, be thankful you have a life. You have a high amount of anger that seems to be misplaced. It's not the valves fault that it got infected. I'm trying to figure out why they'd use Amoxicillin as the antibiotic to treat such a deadly infection. Vancomycin I would have thought would be the drug of choice.

Heart Valve was not the problem. Born with a bi-leaflet valve. Would have been problematic in my 50's anyway, but after a serious dental procedure, the flush of bacteria infected my heart valve and brain. The use of the particular antibiotic was the physicians choice at Maron Hospital(1st AVR) and Stanford(redo). They are excellant technicians, so the fact that I survived is testament to their competency. Anger, is not directed at heart valve surgery. Nor do I display anger in my commentary. You read in an opinion which is unsupported. I have a sister who is the Director of Cardiology at a major hospital in California and her advice saved my life and made for better choices. The comment about the doctors advice for life style post surgery is about statistical data and is a "one size fits all" recommendation. I have consulted a few physicians since then and they say I have no limitations, save taking anti-coagulents for life. I assume you are a doctor and are offended that someone who has been a serious athlete all their life and has a high IQ can't "listen to their body", do research and consult with numerous experts to arrive at the conclusion that i have. To be alive and not living would not be a thankful situation. And no body is to blame, just bad luck, I guess. You have nothing to fear, but fear itself(FDR).
This forum is good in the respect that it shares different experiences of people having/had AVR. I have no question, just comments. Advice is best given to those who ask. Good luck with your web doctoring.

I was just lurking and saw your message. I bet they meant on the 67 year old man that it would be possible to have more surgery in twenty years. Most valves last longer or less than intended. If it is a St. Judes valve, only time will tell, many last longer than twenty years. There have been many different models and manufactures valves that the guarantee is not very long at all. So, it always depends on the type and model and manufacturer of the valve, of which will really last longer. It is an interesting health issue that is constantly changing all the time. Valve manufactures are always coming up with something new everyday. Have a great holiday and hugs for today.

Back