Leery of Coumadin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kathie

Hi,

I am new to this marvelous forum, although I have been lurking in the shadows for some time.

I am going to need an aortic and mitral valve replacement in the future and don't know what to do. I am 52, and don't want to have this surgery again - once will be enough, thank you.

I have always bruised VERY easily since childhood and am on Altace for heart, Xanax and Celexa for depression and anxiety, and fiornial for migraines. If I go with the mechanical valves, will I still be able to take coumadin? Do they just adjust it according to the meds I am taking? Very confused.....

Kathie :)

Hi Kathie and thank you for posting instead of lurking!

Yes, you'll have to take Coumadin and the dosage will be adjusted with your other meds. It's not the big ugly monster that it's sometimes made out to be. Take comfort in the knowledge that many others take it everyday and it's almost like taking any other pill.

Read around the other threads and ask questions until your satisfied and have all the knowledge that your brain can handle. I'm sure Al Lodwick will say a thing or two here too. In the meantime, you can check his site out for more information at
www.warfarinfo.com

Great to see you posting! ;)

Welcome, Kathie!

Welcome, Kathie!

Welcome - I think a lot of us lurked for a while before we finally jumped in.

You'll have to take Coumadin - it's a necessity with a mechanical valve. So, yes, your dosage will reflect the other medications you're on. And the dosage of this medication is truly idiosyncratic - it's not ruled by weight (necessarily) or activity (necessarily) - different people metabolize it differently. It's also impacted by what you eat, other medications, and a host of stuff. We're most fortunate to have a real Coumadin expert here who monitors the site and provides invaluable information.

Since you're new here, I suggest you take some time and go through different postings. There's a wealth of information and you'll be so surprised at how much you'll learn.

There are also a lot of discussions about choice of valves, etc.

We're always glad to meet someone new - you'll find a lot of friends here.

Feel free to ask anything you want.

Thank you both for setting my mind at ease. You were so wonderful to answer my concerns so fast. I am leaning toward mechanical valves as I only (hopefully) want one surgery.

Thanks again for your kindness

Hi Kathie-

Welcome to the site. It's the most wonderful place for support and terrific information on every aspect of heart valve surgery.

I don't blame you for not wanting to have another heart valve surgery after the first one. Each additional one gets a little harder.

If you have mechanical valves, you will have to go on Coumadin. But it is not the terrible monster that many people believe. My husband has been on it for 25 years, and he has never had a bleeding incident related to Coumadin. He just goes to get tested, takes the dosage that is prescribed, makes sure he takes it everyday and at the same time, and that's about it. He still eats green vegetables, because they are necessary for health, but not excessively. No problems here.

You posted some of your medicines, and I know there is an interraction with fiorinal, and it is a serious one. Please go to Al Lodwick's site warfarinfo.com and view his list of medications and interractions, he has a generic name list and a brand name list. You can look up your other meds there also. Here's the link:

http://www.warfarinfo.com/

There must be another "work-around" for dealing with your migraines. I'm sure it can be worked out. But you will have to discuss it with your doctor.

Al Lodwick will probably be along soon to give some advice.

Take care.

No Biggy!

No Biggy!

FYI; I'm 3 yrs. post and take a heavy duty daily medication "cocktail": Altace, Toprol, Norvasc, Lipitor, Digoxin, Warfarin, baby aspirin, plus Vit. E, C, Selenium, and Magnesium.

One can function pretty well with all this stuff (St. Joe has been for more than 25 yrs!).

Regards,

Perry,

How much Vitamin E are you taking?

Presurgery, I took 400 iu but was told to cut back to no more than 100% of the RDA and to stop taking Co Q 10 after my mechanical AVR and being placed on Coumadin.

'AL'

Coumadin

Coumadin

Hi Kathie,
Welcome to the site. I am sorry to hear about your valve problems and I hope reading the post here will let you know how much support is avaiable to you.

I was told two weeks ago that I need to go on Coumadin permanently as well. But my doctor also added that there are good alternatives just on the horizon to replace Coumadin.

Is your surgery scheduled yet?
fdeg

Hi Fdeg,

No, my surgery isn't scheduled as yet, but is on the near horizon. You have all settled my fears of warfarin to such a great, I can't tell you. I thank you all, and cannot believe there is a site like this with such wonderful people offering their knowledge and support. Thank you all again.

Leery of Coumadin

I didn't mean to mislead anyone. This is just what I was told in the hospital. I guess to soften the news. Whether it is Coumadin or any thing else, it beats having a stroke.

fdeg

Hi Kathie,

Joann has been on coumadin for 32+ years. She also takes 9 other medications. Coumadin is not a big monster, but it does require caution and concern. We do everything that other people are age do.

Unfortunately, the atrial fib and flutter have been a BIG problem for the last 3 weeks. We are both very frustrated!

Do not worry about the coumadin. It will be adjusted to meet your needs.

Thank you for your reply...I think I am not as fearful of the coumadin as before I posted. I hope Joann is feeling better soon.

Latest posts

Back