Learning the Insurance Company dance....

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dexter Bob

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Called my insurance company today and inquired about home testing. Apparently this is something new to them:confused2: They asked me for a "HIC/PIC code for the machine to see if it were covered. I haven't got a clue what that is. I gave them the PT INR website for info and they said they couldn't get any info. So I have printed out ALERE & PHILLPS info to give them. My benefit plan says "Durable Medical Equipment" is covered at 80%, not sure about expendable supplies.

I suspect this is going to be a challenge. My PCP is part of a group that has their own ACT clinic. My Cardio and Surgeon both will give me a script for a machine but don't want to manage the results.

So where do I go from here?? My current testing is costing me $10 a month in co-pay:cool2:

Bob

Last edited:
You may have better luck if you let Alere or Phillips help you. They seem to know how to get around the insurance problem. Your current PCP may be a problem. I had a Cardio who also had a ACT clinic and had to shift my INR management to my PCP, who had no problem with me self-testing. Good luck....self testing really is the better way to manage warfarin.

Management

Management

Opinions vary, but managment of dosing isn't something I rely on anyone else for. I manage my own. I give my cardiologist a spreadsheet of reuslts every six months so he can put in my file.

Good luck with getting your insurance to pay for a monitor. Mine refused to pay up front. I had to pursue reimbursement after I paid for the monitor myself. Others have reported having better luck with insurance than I did.

The biggest issues for me was that my insurance company didn't understand why I couldn't just go to the drug store to get my monitor and testing supplies.

-Philip

YEP, it's an uphill battle. I second the idea of asking Alere to help navigate the Insurance Maze.

I managed to find a Nurse Coordinator (NOT the correct company term which I don't recall) who actually knew what AntiCoagulation was and knew the right people who just happened to be interested in investigating coverage. They bought my instrument and first supplies. When my supplies ran out and I tried to order new ones, I was told that they were Durable Medical Equipment which had to be filed through my company's Home Office in another state. I was NEVER able to find anyone in the company or the other state's Insurance Representatives who actually knew what anticoagulation was and was stone-walled when I tried to appeal to "Big Blue".

GOOD LUCK!

FWIW -- I'm not suggesting that you do anything other than try to navigate your insurance maze. People on the forum have commented on how Alere or other services have been helpful - and the cost per test (after insurance pays) is about $6. This isn't too bad, if you can make it work. This is not much more than the strips cost.

I'm a self-tester, not insured, carrying all the cost on my own. There's a bit of freedom involved - if my INR changes due to changes in diet, dehydration due to heat and too much work, or whatever, I'm free to test more often than a lab may recommend or insurance may reimburse. I can make minor dosing adjustments and see if there's a change in three days, and, overall, have the freedom to monitor and manage my own anticoagulation. Not everyone can or should do this themselves -- I'm assuming that most on this thread already can and do.

Even if it's just a matter of doing the test and reporting results to your doctor, having your own meter gives you the freedom from drives to the doctor's office, some of the fees, etc.

I bought my own meters (yes, more than one meter) on eBay. My first was a ProTime, and I upgraded to a ProTime 3 (for about $50). Both machines work fine for me, and the quality controls built into the strips help reinforce my confidence in the accuracy of the test. I also now have a CoaguChek S - bought brand new, in the box, for well under $100. These last generation testers are, in many cases, quite affordable on eBay. The strips may be a bit of a challenge - but you should be able to get them for less than $6 a strip.
NOTE: I just learned that no strips will be available for the CoaguChek S after October 2011 -- this is a meter that should probably be avoided because of unavailability of strips.

If your insurance company won't work with you on reimbursing for a purchase of a meter, you MIGHT consider buying your own on eBay (or some other source). I was able to get my CoaguChek strips on eBay, from a dealer that I sensed was trustworthy (buying things like this on eBay may be a bit of a risk, especially if the strips are supposed to be kept refrigerated). The strips arrived in a few days and were fine. I ordered my ProTime strips from a medical supplier who I thought was keeping them refrigerated and would ship in a cold pack. They may have been refrigerated at the warehouse, but were shipped without cold pack and arrived overnight, sitting all day in a hot UPS truck. They survived the trip. If you buy from a medical supplier, you'll probably have a better experience, and your insurance MIGHT pay for strips and not meter.

My point here is that if you hit a stone wall in dealing with your insurance company, you're not out of options if you still want to self-test.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back