Lastest Echo...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundsgirl

Hey Gang,
I hope this finds all doing well. First I want to update on my disability hearing, my Cardio. wrote a letter using really strong language regarding my heart and how he did not expect it to get better etc. he stated more than once that I am totally and permantly disabled. My family doc. wrote one also, anyway I took them to my lawyer week before last and by Tues. of the following week my lawyer called to say we had a hearing date April 9th; so keep your fingers crossed for me.
OK to the Echo report, here are a few things I'm wondering about. The stenosis is still there; no surprise there.
This is something new: Left ventricle; the left ventricular systolic function is hyperdynamic and hypertrophic. What does that mean?
There are equivocal signs of diastolic dysfunction.

Left atrial size is enlarged.
On previous Echo which was in Nov. 08 states that the left ventricular size is normal, also left ventricular systolic function is normal.

Gradient numbers are still in the 60's and 30's
Av Area 1.01 cm

My ejection fraction increased from 60 to est. 75, is that a good thing?

Any help with helping me understand this would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advanve.

Hello Lisa,

It sounds to me like the simple answer to your questions is that your heart is "working too hard".

From my Merriam-Webster's Medical Desk Dictionary ($20) -

Systolic is the contraction phase
(Diastolic is the passive phase)

Hyperdynamic = marked by abnormally increased muscular activity
esp. when of organic origin

Hypertrophy = excessive development of an organ or part;
increase in bulk (as by thickening of muscle fibers).

Bottom Line: It appears that your heart is enlarging due to pumping against a stenotic valve. (Ask your Cardiologist for confirmation of this theory)

I've forgotten the exact range for Normal Ejection Fraction,
but I 'think' it is 55 to 65%.

Elevated EF's are seen in two types of people:
Highly Trained Athletes
Heart Patients whose hearts are overworked pumping against diseased valves.

Again, you should discuss your EchoCardiogram Report
and it's meanings with your Cardiologist.

Best Wishes with your Disabiltiy suit.

'AL Capshaw'

Lisa,

I've been thinking about your situation some more and came to the conclusion that it might be wise for you to consult with a Top-Rated Surgeon with Lots of Experience doing re-do's. My reasoning is that once your problem has been diagnosed, there is not a lot that a Cardiologist can do for your condition and that a skilled surgeon offers the greatest hope for a solution.

Another thought that occurred to me is that since your Bovine Pericardial Tissue Valve is exhibiting such high gradients, that one of the High Performance Porcine Tissue Valves noted for Low Gradients may be worth considering. You would want to discuss this with a Surgeon who has experience with these valves.

'AL Capshaw'

We have a Glossary of heart-valve-related terms in VR,com, that can help with this and many other questions about terms and acronyms. The entries are geared toward heart and heart valve usages.

If you don't have Microsoft Word, you may wish to pick up this free reader first:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...87-8732-48D5-8689-AB826E7B8FDF&displaylang=en

Then Double-click on the "Attached Files VR Glossary" on this post:

http://www.valvereplacement.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27461

Or you can find the Glossary directly in the "Reference Sources" Forum, along with many useful articles and tools for understanding.

Best wishes,

Thanks guys for your reply. Al you put in terms much easier to understand.

I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to respond.

Latest posts

Back