Ladies: Has Coumadin effected your menstral flow?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Sue

Lake of the Sky-South Lake Tahoe, CA, USA
I am having AVR in a few months and was wondering how much of an effect Coumadin has had on your menstral flow. If it has significant effects I may consider having an abalation done prior to starting Coumadin. Thank you in advance for your experience/thoughts.

Hi! My periods are definitely heavier now. Had my surgery in March of last year. The first 2 days of my cycle are pretty bad, then it eases up. I'm going to have the ablation too. Normally they just do it in the Dr's office, but my OBGYN wants to do it in the hospital bc of the Coumadin. She says it will still be an outpatient procedure, though. I wish I would've done it before the AVR, so I would say go for it. Good luck with your upcoming surgery!

Last edited:
I couldn't find any information regarding this issue pre-surgery, and my doctor's and nurses either wouldn't or couldn't answer my questions. I *WISH* I had known about ablation before surgery. Everyone I asked said it wouldn't affect my cycle. LIARS! LOL Once my body recovered from surgical shock (about 40 days) I started my cycle again. I had longer and heavier bleeding - about 7-9 days - and much shorter cycles - about 20 days. I've always been a short-cycler, but to bleed HEAVY for 10 days and do it again in 20 days is a bit much for me. I passed some LARGE clots that scared me and had me calling the nurse line in the middle of the night. However, 5 months post-op I seem to be settling back into my normal schedule. Once I get re-settled with a new insurance plan and doctor, I'm definitely looking into ablation.

I want to hear from someone who is a year or more post-op. It's hard to find women with mechanical heart valves who haven't gone through meno yet.

Thank you both for responding. Abalation was something I was considering any way just because I already have kids and not having a period sounded like a win win..Both my sisters have had it done. I looked everywhere on the Web for information on coumadin's effect on menstruation but there is no information. Thank you!

Hi, I had MVR last March. I also feel the amount of blood increased after Coumadin, though it’s not heavy enough to make me consider ablation. Also, after about a year of irregular cycles following MVR, I seem to have settled into about 25-day cycles of 7~9 days now, which is shorter cycle and longer days than my pre-Coumadin time. But also maybe because the blood is thinner, it’s less painful now. That was one unexpected positive thing that came out of the whole ordeal, and I hope it stays that way.

When I went to see OBGYN about the irregular periods, she said it’s common for women on Coumadin to experience heavier periods.

Best of luck with your upcoming surgery.

Although it may seem strange to have this coming from a man -- but a couple things: First, anticoagulation doesn't make the blood 'thinner' -- it makes it take longer to form clots. Second, because of this, women may form fewer clots (but bleed longer because of this). Maybe this is the reason for less discomfort.

There's another issue that is not frequently asked -- if I recall, women on warfarin are discouraged from getting pregnant. This may be something to ask your doctor, if you have any plans to have a baby.

Good luck, Sue.

Latest posts

Back