Just wondering, just seems like doctors don't have answers

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lisou

Just wondering if anyone has ever heard or seen this? My friend had surgery last October she had a mechanical valve put in and taking coumadin every day, she tests every month INR currently at 2.3. Just this week she was admitted to hospital with pulmonary embolism how can this be? Just curious.

I tested monthly for 18 months....always in range.
With a home tester I prefer to test more often, because I can. :)
Really,wow. I guess because I was always out of range,it was weekly
for me.

Heh, I was a (still am) bad patient. When I was in my 20's i found a Dr that would write my scripts for a year...and I would get my INR checked at my my yearly check up. As I got older, and wised up and decided I needed a DR that paid a bit more attention to my condition. I tried to pull the year thing with him...honestly at this point I had been on coumadin for about 24 years and I could tell when my INR was high or low due to bruising so I didnt think anything of it. I remember his nurse called me about two months after I saw him, and said I needed to come in that afternoon. Worried I asked why? And they told me to just be there. I showed up and Dr. Graceffo brought the HAMMER DOWN! He told me he refused to be responsible if I died because I refused to get my INR checked regularly and either get it checked monthly or find a new DR. Needless to say, I get it checked on a monthly basis now. :)

The Phlebotomist's get a kick out of when I show because I tie my own tourniquet and am ready to go by the time they walk in the room. I havent been able to convince one to actually get me draw my own blood yet though....heh.

Also,I forgot to add that in the early post-op phase the doctors like
to check your inr frequently until your target is hit and maintained for awhile.
Had your friend's inr been stable all of those months? Since 2.3 is close to border for a regular mech valve...but may be just right for the On-x.

I had a PE once with endocarditis,can be frightening. Give my best to your friend - I hopw she is doing better.

. Just this week she was admitted to hospital with pulmonary embolism how can this be? Just curious.

To be blunt, “Ship Happens” ... Hope that she will be ok.....
Is "month " a typo here? Most people test more frequently than every month.

I have tested once a month (no typo;)) since 2006, always in range and dose has never changed ... everyone is different ....

Coumadin will not stop blood from clotting. It only inhibits it's ability to clot. Many beleive that because they are on it, they won't form a clot and that couldn't be further from the truth.

Just my thought:

Because you test once a month and are at 2.3 doesn't mean you STAY at 2.3 between tests. Your INR may dip, it may surge in the 29 or so days between tests.

Thank heavens for home tester machines!!!!!!!!! :)

IMO Monthly INR tests are not adequate. INRs do not stay at one level permanently. You could be going way up or down between tests, and then when it is tested again, it could look like it was in range, but in actuality, you had variations during that month that could have been problematic.

Latest posts

Back