Just Purchased CoaguChek XS Unit Need to Know What Accessories I need?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julian

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I just purchased a CoaguChek XS unit and I need to know what necessary accessories I need? The unit I bought was used and is only coming with the unit and a travel case. What other items do I need and optional items that are recommended. Any good place to buy these accessories online including test strips that are reliable? Thanks guys. :thumbup:

I was just provided with a coaguchek xs by Roche. I received the machine itself in its travel case, about a dozen test strips, and a hundred lancets. I can reorder whenever I want. Before I received this, I was considering buying my own machine, and found the machine, the test strips, and the lancets readily available on Amazon.
I've gone to a coumadin clinic for the past ten years, and there they always used gauze to staunch the flow of blood and a small bandaid. I'm thinking I can get by without those, unless I soar in the INR stratosphere of 9.0 or so.

We have a Coacucheck XS.

Most important are the test strips and the lancets (finger poker in our house). If you don’t have a prescription from your doctor for the test strips, get one so that it is at least partially covered by insurance (if your insurance covers it).

Also useful are some capillary tubes along with a mini”squeezy” to put the blood on the test strip.

As for where to get them, I’m in Canada and probably will be of no help to you.

If your insurance doesn't cover the test strips, consider ordering them online. I have found them before as cheaply as $198 for 48. A quick check just now turned them up at $240 for 48 on ebay. If you go that route though, make sure you know for sure what the expiry dates are. The set I have now expire at different times between next month and September, and it works out that I'll use them all before they go, but it would be easy to make the mistake of paying for strips you can't use.

As far as the finger pokers go, you should be able to pick up a universal lancing device at your local pharmacy for well less than 10 dollars (I think I paid 4 or 5) and a box of 200 (if you test weekly that's a four year supply!) lancets goes for about 10 or so.

I've never been asked for a prescription to buy the strips online, but my local pharmacist wanted one for the machine. I don't have insurance which covers self-testing, but I figuring my ongoing costs are under $5/week. I usually wipe up the extra blood with a regular kleenex tissue, then use it to wrap the used lancet and test strip in before disposal. I used to put them in a sharps bin but didn't have one for a while and got out of the habit.

Incidentally, you'll need to train yourself on the use of the machine. (If you buy them through the pharmacy, training is included). Do you have the manual? Have you seen them used at a clinic before?

I bought the unit on eBay, it belonged to a pregnant lady who used it about ten times while she was pregnant. Practically new, my insurance doesn't cover home testing so I go to the clinic and use the same unit there. My Coumadin nurse is totally on board with me getting the home unit, I told her I would like to test every 3 weeks with her as normal and have the freedom to check my INR in between that time at home if I think I'm off. I told her that if my readings come off at home I could go see her soon to make sure its not a false reading.

I basically just need to buy lancets and test strip for the year I guess. I just wanted to know if there was any other things I might need. My clinic can order these for me but the price is outrageous for the test strips they are way cheaper online. I'm well aware of getting a good expiration dates. Any more tips would be greatly appreciated if anyone has em'. Thanks team.

One piece of advice I could give you is that if you look at your finger tips, there are rings (which make up the fingerprint). I was having difficulty in drawing blood until someone (I think maybe here) told me to make sure the lancet is parallel to the ring formation. In other words, hold the lancing device in a such a way that the lancet with the widest part penetrates parallel to the rings and not perpendicular. You may need a magnifying glass if your eyes are not up to snuff, lol.

Hi Bina, Julian...everyone...!!! It's been way too long. Thanks VR.org for the birthday wishes last week! I have been thinking about home testing. This is the deal: Was bridging from some minor surgery recently (2-21). The team kept me on the Lovenox for 10 full days (started on the 18th of Feb) as my INR was testing low after restarting the Warfarin (2-21). I was gradually getting back to target, ...1.45, 1.69, (1.99 Feb 29th), then 5 days after that, 1.25. That was last Monday 5th of March. They thought the lab test was wrong. They had me go the next day, but said "go somewhere closer", so I did. (these are all hospital labs). My INR on the 6th at the closer lab was 3.6! I have been extremely confused and have re-examined everything to get a handle on all of this. I realized that I have been taking a multi-vitamin that has 100%DV of Kitamin K1 and K2. I was alittle inconsistant during the last few weeks, but my food diet has been very consistant all along. I have decided to start taking a supplement by Rainbow Light that uses safe guard, and vegan guard for people who are on certain meds, like Warfarin, etc., no added Vit K. I spent time reading alot of the posts on levels, diet, dosing, and testing...all very good info. HOWEVER...I feel unsure about the labs results and do not know where to go now. I have read articles on fill levels and such, and things that effect test results, since my Doc's office said labs can differ. Problem for me... I would rather be on the lowest dose to get the desired effect, but I need to know the lab I am at is reliable. They say, pick a lab...and just be consistant. If that lab is not reliable or accurate, what good does it do? Thinking of getting a draw this week at a completely diff lab., and eventually doing the home testing. I just want to be sure the tests are accurate, otherwise what good is testing to begin with? I have no problem being compliant, and testing.
Also, when I talk to the companies with the machines, they say they charge for the testing...and all, and I would have to buy the machine. (If I buy the machine on my own, can't I just do the testing myself, and why would I need to pay them to call in the results??) I just don't understand the set up here. I would do this without ins., or basically with such a large ded. that it would not reach it. Please advise. Thank you so much!!!! :)

I certainly strongly advise self testing. For one thing - these meters are usually consistently accurate and have built in quality controls. In some cases, I'd prefer to trust my life to the meter and not to a lab that may botch a test or mishandle my blood.

What is needed for a person with a new meter is a set of strips, a lancing device and 21 gauge lancets. That's pretty much it. I use a paper towel for any extra blood. I used to use the alcohol pads that are available for sterilizing the finger, but have stopped using it -- I rinse my hand in warm water to help bring the blood to the surface and this seems to be good enough.

Disposing of the lancets isn't a big problem for me -- I just push the lancet into the little cap that I have to twist off the lancet to expose the metal lancet. I then toss it into the foil pouch that my InRatio strips come in. (I realize that CoaguChek XS strips don't come in individual pouches, but it probably wouldn't be that big a deal to discard the lancets if you put the plastic cover back on - or perhaps put them in a drink can or other can that you throw out.

You may also want to have some extra batteries, just in case the meter's power gets low and you can't find the charger.

Latest posts

Back