Just How Tired is Tired Post Op?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkm7

I was reading another thread on this forum and it triggered a memory from my first OHS.

I had already left CICU and was in step down unit probably only one day.
I recall waking from a nap, I knew I was awake and felt okay but I was so exhausted with no energy to spare that I literally lay in my bed, eyes closed, and made a conscious choice was it worth the effort it would take to open my eyes. I truly did not have the energy it would take to open my eyes and did not do so. I so clearly remember just waiting to fall back asleep which I promptly did.

For those waiting for surgery, don't let it frighten you when you realize just how exhausted tired is. My second surgery, it was not as extreme but I recovered well from both and was grateful to have been able to simply drift back off to sleep.

I guess my point is limit your company. Hospital visits are so tiring when all you really want to do is sleep.

Funny the memories that pop back in our heads some 8 years later.

When the orderly dude would make the rounds in the early morning to hand out clean gowns and towels and get patients
onto the weigh scale, I would make sure to close my eyes and growl at him. Often times I would doze off a bit, it
was a good feeling that I have made into a habit ;)

I wish I felt sleepy tired in the hospital. For me I slept maybe 3 hours a night every night I was in the hospital. I couldn't take naps at all. I had a very disturbing sensation the first few days, I would close my eyes to try and relax but after several seconds I felt like I had to open them again, and after a several seconds of having my eyes open I had to close them again, this went on and on for about 2 days. A HORRIBLE feeling. I thought I was going to go psychotic. It's hard to explain but the feeling wasn't like feeling sleepy.

I sympathize with Julian. I don't think I got 3 hours sleep the whole week I was in the hospital. My problem was I would drift off and immediately feel like I stopped breathing and wake up with a startle and sudden deep breath. I thought maybe I was just low on O2, but the O2 saturation meter said I was finbe. Still, this would go on about every 30 seconds if I tried to sleep. By the end of the week, I was a complete mess. Finally they gave me some Lorazepam and it knocked me out for 4 hours. It really helped, and in a week the problem went away and I didn't need Lorazepam any more.

Back