Just had pre op appointment

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucky401

Yesterday I had my pre op appointment for my surgery which is scheduled for 6/16. It really hit me yesterday that this is actually happening and of course the fear really started to set in.

The appointment went well and they covered more things that I didn't know. I knew that I needed an avr for a bicuspid stenotic valve and I opted for a tissue valve, that I am having an aortic aneurysm dacron graft if necessary or a repair to the aorta and that my mitral valve needs repair as well as the tricuspid valve. Well any way yesterday they said there is a chance that my tricuspid valve may need to be replaced and if that is the case they can only use a mechanical valve. Of course I didn't think this through too well at the surgeon's office but after I got home I realized I should have told them that if the tricuspid needs to be replaced with a mechanical valve then I would need blood thinners anyway and that the aortic valve should be replaced with a mechanical valve instead of a tissue one. Does this sound reasonable to you guys and should I call the surgeon's office and make sure they understand that if the tricuspid needs replacing then the aortic valve should be mechanical - if they can repair the tricuspid then I want a aortic tissue valve? Is this too much for them to remember? And should I ask them what type of mechanical valves they use and can I suggest the onyx valve I have been reading about here on the forum? Does this mean I have to ask for another appointment? I don't know if they do that sort of thing.

I am really getting nervous about this sudden uncertainty on things. I want to be sure the surgeon understands what I want. Is this reasonable or am I just panicking.

Thanks for all your help.

I'm no expert on valve choice (I had a repair) but I think it's reasonable to convey your thoughts given the new cirsumstances and let the the professionals then provide you counsel of them.

Lucky, I just had my tricuspid replaced with a porcine valve. It is definetly feasible to use a tissue valve in that position, and from all of my research and conversations with Dr.'s, in a lot of cases, actually preferable due to clot problems and having to maintain a higher INR range than other positions due that. Since only 5-10% of all valve operations are on the tricuspid, there aren't very many of us on here that have had that done. However, there are a couple on here who do have a mechanical in that position.

Since you had already decided you wanted a tissue valve for your aortic, I would ask your surgeon what is the reason for a mechanical for the tricuspid? If he is adamant about that, I would probably opt for a mechanical for the aortic as well so hopefully, this will be your last OHS. If this issue is important to you, I would contact your surgeon asap and express your desires and concerns.

Good luck to you.

Kim

Kfay brings up good points. Please call your docs, this is your life and you have a right to make informed decisions.

I'm wondering if the doctor is thinking about the fact that you have 3 involved valves and the chance of repairs and tissue valves arriving at the end of their time span at the same time is rare. I would hope he wouldn't do one tissue and one mechanical. Doesn't make a lot of sense in the grand scheme.

I would also make sure your surgeon does a whole lot of mitral repairs. You don't want to get the others replaced and have a mitral repair fail on you too soon.

You have every right to call and clarify anything you want and ask any additionnal question you may have. That's why they get the big bucks!
Best wishes.

By all means call you surgeon....without hesitation. This is way too important to not fully discuss all thoughts you want expressed and explained.

It is not too much for them to keep track of.
Let us know how you make out.

YEP, call the Surgeon's office and ask to speak with his assistant or nurse. Tell him/her your concerns and ask whether you should come back for another office visit or if the surgeon could call you personally (NO relays through staff).

'AL Capshaw'

Latest posts

Back