Just found out

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccummins

I've had a bicuspid valve since I was born. Never any issues ... just had to get an echo every year or so to make sure it wasn't getting worse. And it hasn't. But about 2 years ago they noticed that my aorta was enlarged. Since then I have had an Echo and MRI every 6 months. They just found that my aorta is expanding. Damn!!! They say it is now time for surgery to repair. From what I understand I will also get a valve replacement. Is that right? I am in Chicago at Northwestern and they have referred me to a new, young surgeon that I am scheduled to meet with next week. Any advice on this? Should I consult with more than 1 surgeon? Glad you are all here for support!

Good to see you here

Good to see you here

You have come to the right place for information, assistance, understanding and folks who have been where you are and who have much to share.

Welcome, friend. I am sorry that I can't help you with your immediate questions, but I assure you that more experienced folks will be here soon to provide you with the support and information that you need in this situation.

Kindest regards,
Blanche

Welcome to this wild and crazy place. :D Lots of friendly folks here with experiences to share, and we also try to have fun when we can.

I have nothing against youth, but by saying "young surgeon" do you mean one who hasn't done many of these kinds of surgeries? I would prefer one who is in his prime but has done many of them successfully. Yours may well be experienced even though young -- just wanted to throw that thought out there. There is nothing wrong with doing some shopping around for the best surgeon for you.

Look forward to your continued posts.

Welcome to the zoo:D .... If it's time, it's time ... glad you found us ... it is not as bad as you think (surgery and recovery) .... we are all here for you.

glad you found VR. Start reading and you will find much of what you don't already know, from what to ask your doctors, what to take to the hospital and what to do when you get home. This is a wealth of information site.

yep, we have fun, too. blessins...........

They just found that my aorta is expanding. Damn!!! They say it is now time for surgery to repair. From what I understand I will also get a valve replacement. Is that right?

You haven't told us your "numbers." i.e., the condition of your BAV (stenosis? regurgitation, etc,) but if they're going to do OHS to repair your aneurysm I think you would want a diseased BAV replaced at the same time so as to avoid the necessity of a second OHS later on.

Best wishes,

Jim

Welcome- I'm glad you found us before surgery. Second or even third opinions are not unusual. Find the surgeon with the experience and answers that you respect and you will do just fine.

Northwestern is known for its fine program and one of the top surgeons in the country--McCarthy. In my mind, that would add credibility to your young surgeon's credentials. You've got a week before your appointment, so take some time and read the threads so you can familiarize yourself with some questions others have asked their surgeons about.
In the meantime, welcome to VR!:)

Just wanted to welcome you to our community & to tell you that OHS is not as scary as it may seem. As you can see, we are all survivors here & all have been down that same road you'll be traveling soon & we still here to talk about it.

Once you meet with the surgeon & a date is finalized, then go forward & don't look back. Make sure to read up & gather as much information on tissue vs mechanical valves as you can find & then make an informed decision for yourself. You'll do just fine! :)

One of our 'Rules of Thumb' is to find a surgeon who has LOTS of Experience doing the procedure YOU will need. Be sure to ask the surgeon(s) you interview about how many similar procedures they have performed and how they turned out.

Ask Ross (our moderator) about his Hero, Dr. McCarthy!
Ross is one of only a very small percentage of people who have survived an Aortic Disection.

Dr. McCarthy was recruited from the Cleveland Clinic (#1 rated Heart Hospital) to go to Northwestern so HE is the surgeon I would be calling if I were in Chicago.

If you are interested in Mechanical Valves, check out the latest technology from On-X at www.heartvalvechoice.com and www.onxvalves.com

Also, read through the Bicuspid Aortic Valve and Connective Tissue Disorder Forum to learn LOTS about those related conditions (and why it was recommended to replace your valve when they repair your aorta).

'AL Capshaw'

Woo hoo! Two birds with one stone. I've heard and read great things about NU med ctr's cardiac program. Welcome aboard. Chicago's my home town but I'm happy to be away from there this time of year.

My only advice is to make sure you have an experience Surgeon doing your surgery. You have a big decision to make when its time for your surgery--To choose a mechanical valve or a tissue valve (pig valve). I was born with a bicupsid valve as well but didnt know till it was almost to late ro be fixed.
I was even in the Marine Corps running my heart out.
I wish you the best of luck and hope to hear from you.

Latest posts

Back