jogging ..running..???

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcat96

Hi
I am just past 7 weeks post op. Before surgery I was a walker, or eliptical user. I would work out for months at a time and then get in a rut. Well since surgery I have been walking , started eliptical last week and I feel great!!! and am commited to a healthy life style. I have never been a runner, I feel so good I would like to start jogging (maybe with a goal of a 5k- I'll never be a marathon runner). SO my question how soon after surgery can I begin jogging-is it based on how I am feeling or do I need to wait the 12 weeks for my chest to be healed completely?
Dana:

Hi Dana,

I hope members who recovered way before us can provide you with better advice. Personally, as I am past 7 weeks too who started cardia rehab last week, was advised on day one by my nurse not to walk on the evenings of the same day of the Rehab..(not to overdo it, she said:confused:) I didn't listen and walked with my hubby as I was feeling OK. I am starting to feel pain in my upper chest--not sure whether it is streteched muscles or ? I am seeing the doctor this pm, as per nurse's recommendation.

Did I miss your update about the strings?! I hope all is well now.:)

There are some dedicated runners on here who, I'm sure, will share their experiences and perspectives. My personal advice would be (1) by all means, check first with your doctor, and (2) be cautious about starting the jogging too soon. Life is a marathon, not a sprint (to use a corny analogy). But certainly when you are healed and ready, jogging can be great exercise.

My personal background: I was an avid runner years ago; ran everything from 5Ks to a few marathons. Now am hanging in there as a senior walker, rehabbing from knee surgery. Maybe active runners will offer other takes on your question.

Thanks ..I am not looking to push it too far... too soon, however since 3 weeks post op I have been walking 3-5 miles a day and I think I am getting bored, and want to try something more. I will check in with DR. I was just curious about others experience.
EVA my strng comes (I clip) and it goes. It is the MOST bizarre thing, Dr. said not to worry skin will grow over and will be fine. I try to ignore it :)

Thanks ..I am not looking to push it too far... too soon, however since 3 weeks post op I have been walking 3-5 miles a day and I think I am getting bored, and want to try something more. I will check in with DR. I was just curious about others experience.
EVA my strng comes (I clip) and it goes. It is the MOST bizarre thing, Dr. said not to worry skin will grow over and will be fine. I try to ignore it :)

Dana,
PERSONALLY i prefer to be bored and safe for now, as a chinese proverb says: "Patience is a bittler plant, but its fruits are sweet". I look forward to others' recommends. and what your doctor says. Best wishes, :)

I was like you in that I wasn't much of a runner prior to surgery. Now I know why ! I started jogging at about 6 weeks and Im approaching 8 months post-op now and am running twice a week (4 miles on Wed, 6 miles on Sat). My times aren't very fast (about 10:30 miles) but for me the big thing is being able to simply do it. One word of advice is to wear a heart monitor and run at your target heart rate. Other than that I would say listen to your body, I'm sure your cardiologist can give you some guidance as well, Im sure he/she will be thrilled to know you want to run on a regular basis.

Best of luck !

I hope this helps. First, we are all different so what works for one doesn?t work for the next. It really depends on your pre surgery conditioning. Second, get a clearance from your cardiologist.
Third, here is my story. Pre-surgery I had been running for almost 28 years, having completed 50 marathons, uncounted ½ marys, 10ks, triathlons, and century bike rides, so going in I was in really good shape physically.
I started walking two times a day three days post-surgery and by 4 weeks was up to 5 miles then switched to once daily up to 6 miles. My card said I could get back to my regular running routine at about 6 weeks. I started jogging at 5 ½ weeks and ran/walked a very hilly 5K (39 minutes) six weeks and 2 days post. Three months later I ran a fairly flat 5k without walking in 34 minutes. Six months post I ran a flat, dirt course ½ marathon in 2:30. I never had any problems in any of these or my daily runs which varied from 4 to 8 miles. I have since completed 3 marathons and a few halves. My first was one year-one day post surgery.
I am now two years and one month post surgery and run 4-5 times a week, try to swim twice weekly and do some biking. The only difference now than pre surgery is my times are 1 ½ minutes per mile slower. I am now coming to grips with that but it has taken me this long to realize I am not going to get to where I was pre surgery. However, I am happy and thankful everyday when I wake up and thrilled that I am able to run at all. BTW, I?m on the downhill slide to 71 years old.

Dana,
I went through a great cardiac rehab program that stressed: 1) not over-doing it and 2) paying attention to how you feel. They transitioned into more rigorous activities slowly and although I often wanted to do more, their philosophy helped me stay uninjured and motivated.
To gauge how you feel they suggested staying somewhere between 4 and 6 on the Borg Exertion scale:

Some of the clients from the program started a running (actually jogging) group with one of the cardiac nurses and a trainer. Our group consists of a valver (me) and patients that had heart-attacks and got by-pass or stents.
After graduating from rehab we started at a local track by jogging 100 meters then walking 100 for a total of about 3 k, once or twice a week. It was tough at first. We did this for a while and gradually increased our distance jogging every week. After about 4 months most of us are now jogging 3k without walking or stopping.
I think if I had done this on my own I would have over-done it and I would not have kept it up.
My goal is to run a 5k too. Please join us in the mileage throwdown and log your miles as you work toward your goal.
See ya,
John

Borg exertion scale:
* Level 1: I'm watching TV and eating bon bons
* Level 2: I'm comfortable and could maintain this pace all day long
* Level 3: I'm still comfortable, but am breathing a bit harder
* Level 4: I'm sweating a little, but feel good and can carry on a conversation effortlessly
* Level 5: I'm just above comfortable, am sweating more and can still talk easily
* Level 6: I can still talk, but am slightly breathless
* Level 7: I can still talk, but I don't really want to. I'm sweating like a pig
* Level 8: I can grunt in response to your questions and can only keep this pace for a short time period
* Level 9: I am probably going to die
* Level 10: I am dead
+

I'm 17 years post-AVR and like Kodi, I was a long time runner pre-surgery. I waited the required 6 weeks and then started running right away. I had a collapsed lung from the procedure so it was more difficult than it should have been and it took me another 6 weeks to complete one whole mile non-stop. Once I got the lung back to full capacity it was running as usual. I've done some 17,000 miles since.

But since you were not a runner to begin with you should take a more measured approach than Kodi or I would. Find the "Couch to 5K" program online and follow it as prescribed. The fact that you've had AVR wouldn't change anything because it is designed for beginners.

Newbie runner

Newbie runner

Well, all the regulars have checked in with good advice. I made sure to get the okay to run from my doctor, and started back up at 6 weeks. If you are new to running, try this method...it works pretty well. Start out running, walk as you need to, for 10 minutes, then turn around and do the same thing back to home, for a total of 20 minutes. Gradually over a few weeks, you shuld be running more than walking. After 4 or 5 weeks, you should be able to run the 20 minutes. Once you can, then you can start to measure distance.

Following rehab, I worked up to a charity 5k about 5 months from AVR. I don't recall my longest training run, but I'm sure that is was less than 5 miles. I walked about 20% of the "race" and I napped all afternoon. Just take it easy and use small weekly increments. Be sure to make it fun.

I had no intention of running as hobby or lifestyle and hit the couch again after that first 5k. Then 2 years later, I caught the fitness and running "bug" and took it to a couple of marathons. When running started to feel a bit like a rut and the long runs became harder to schedule, I took up triathlon and found something sustainable. Still, I often get the most joy from a good long run.

Congratualtions of your recovery and best wishes! Enjoy!

Wow

Wow

Wow what an inspiration you all are!!!!!!!!I don't know that I will ever be a "runner",I have had foot surgery in past and don't know how far or long my foot will hold up. That said ,picking up my pace from walking to a jog and making it through a 5k for a good cause would be my goal. I DID email with my DR. He said "good news" to hear that I am moving forward as quickly as I am, he would like me to wait 4 more weeks before I pick up the pace to jogging.
I learned a lot from all of your posts, thank you for sharing :D
Dana

I am glad you received the professional advise prescribed especially to you!!
I look forward to hearing that you achieved your goal once you start jogging at the right time and as healthy as you can be without regrets.

Good luck,:)

Latest posts

Back