JayTwo post-op recovery and beyond

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi tom, tracy, and jacob!
welcome to the club!!! so glad you could join us. how's it going? better each day, i hope.
little snags do crop up from time to time (joey, despite how fit he was, wasn't released from the hospital for a whole week because of little things like that). walking is great! also, if jacob is not hungry, try some ice pops and maybe soup instead of a full meal.
just try and be patient, things do fall into place.
thanks for posting and keeping us up to date on your progress!
be well,
sylvia

Last edited:
RP all the way!

Watch out for those sneezes.

Glad you made it.

Popsicles are good for nausea. Eat small meals, like a snack for the first few days. Make your family get you things that are not in the house. Taking special trips to the grocery for you will make them feel as if they are really helping you! Don't forget to walk, it really helps you feel better, and do the breathing exercises.

Last edited:
Hi Jake. Glad you are home. I am sure this has been a REALLY REALLY BIG trauma to you, both physically and mentally but in the long haul you are going to be better off. While you recuperate, just enjoy your holidays. Before you know it, this will all be 'back there' someplace and you can then think about it in a better way. Keep us posted on your progress. We care. God bless:)

Thanks(doing gggggggggrrrrrrreat)

Thanks(doing gggggggggrrrrrrreat)

Hello everybody I am doing amazingly wonderful the doctors are amazed and so am I. I have megatons of new energy but still pain in the sternum (bad mix) but I am being careful. I have read read every single post and I am blessed with your concern for me I love this site. Thank you for concern and helpfulness.

Love,

hey jacob!
take it slow.... before you know it, you'll be home.
in fact, 11 weeks post-op.... i've been waiting for this line.... joey finally said: " i haven't had a deep breath like this in years!!!" magic words to my ears! you know, i think the "hump" is different for everyone... joey's was at 11 weeks.
all i can say is be patient, it all falls into place. i'm soooo thrilled that you are ok and done with the hardest part.
please be well and let us know how you're doing.. i'm reallly so happy for you and your family
-sylvia

Nice to 'see' your voice, Jake. Your sternum is gonna be sore for awhile, but not to worry - time takes care of all this discomfort. And you now have a 'medal' to show your bravery - the scar. Happy to hear your energy level has leapt forward. Keep on keepin on and stay in touch. Young folks get very busy in their schedules, but as you do, too, please keep us in mind. God bless:)

Hi this is Jake just to let you know I got home Saturday and today I had to work on math but thats life when you feel better so soon. I am taking my blood pressure three times a day and laseks twice a day and an anti-inflammatory. God Bless and I will continue to think of you guys.
-Jake

hi jake!
welcome home!! that was fast! your mom and dad (and you too) must be thrilled to have you home.
too bad about the math. are the teachers sending work home? i guess they want to make sure you don't fall behind.
i bet it tires you out!
it's so good to hear that you are on your way to recovery. keep feeling well.
God bless,
sylvia

glad you're home

glad you're home

Hi Jake
So glad that you are home and doing so well that they are giving you schoolwork alread!!:( Do you think that it would work to tell them that you are a "Pumphead" and just can't remember how to do the math???Hmmm!I guess not:p :p :p Keep healing and try not to overdue..you'll be back or feeling even better than before....before you know it!!
Joan

Pumphead? If Jake is doing math, he's has no pumphead problems.

Jake-
Now come the fun part. You'll feel better everyday. But, take it easy on the sternum. It take a good 3-6 months for it to heal all the way. Did the docs tell your dad that you can't cut the grass for a year, and no yard work?

Glad you're home.

-Mara

Question

Question

What's pumpjead and what's LOL?
I'm doing fine I popped open a chest tube hole so now I have to sit around
Love
Jake

Hey you pumphead!

Hey you pumphead!

Pumphead...I can't remember exactly what that means....but you'll enjoy the definitions that come in!

I think LOL means "Lots of Laughs."

Slow it down some, dude. Makes my heart rate go up just reading your replies!

Mara, I forgot about the grass...for sure. Jake you'll still be rehabbing!

Jake, it's really great to hear you are doing so well. Dr. Ross would be mighty proud of you as are your parents to be sure.

It's a ways off, but it would be so cool to meet you and your folks in Las Vegas at the 2002 VR.COM Reunion. What do you think? You could meet Ben and compare stories, scars, whatever. Does your mom or dad play golf? Bob would gladly add them to our VR.COM "Open." Start saving your quarters.

Have a great holiday and don't pop any more incision areas!

Last edited:
Pump head lol

Pump head lol

Hey Jake!

How ya doin? You are sounding great. :) Even though you are feeling good, you have to treat your body with kid gloves for a while! Take care of yourself.

I?m happy to hear you are doing your home work and not falling behind. What a great kid!! :) I bet your parents are really proud of you. I am!

I would also love to meet you and your family in Las Vegas, if it is possible. If not, maybe the next reunion. We intend to be attending them for ... oh, at least the next 60, maybe 70 years!! lol (lots of laughs)

Oh, Jake... The ?pump head? thing can be like your ?ace in the hole? sometimes. (You see some people believe being on the heart & lung machine can make you forgetful) :confused: Where?s your Mom?? I need to tell her its not true.... :p

Take care,
Rain

Still doing great

Still doing great

Hi, its Jake's mom. Jake just had his check up with the doctor. The popped-open hole is doing okay since the steri strips got applied and since Jake slowed down. He has had a LOT of energy until a few days ago when he got some dizziness and nausea. He did pick up a twelve-pound baby nephew of his (he loves little kids) and has been reminded that its five pounds or less for another month or so. Thanks for the cautions, Perry and others. I think they did help him.
Jake liked learning what a pumphead is. Fortunately he had already done a few math lessons before he learned about it so he couldn't use it TOO much Rain - thanks for wanting to let me know!
He's gone back to school a bit here and there. He woke up today with a pretty bad cough but they said that's okay, just keep on with the breathing exercises twice a day.
He still has a little fluid around the heart so will be checked again in a week, we are supposed to watch for fever and heaviness in chest. He takes his BP three times a day, once a day he takes monopril and lasix. He is interested in life and loves being with his friends.
The new valves are working well and his heart size has already reduced quite a bit back toward normal.
Got the bandages off his incision and it is looking really good.
We are very happy with the results and enjoying a blessed holiday!
Hope the same can be said for each of you. Thanks for all the interest and support! Jake's Mom

Hi its Jake. Please send more support against math. It influences my parents. I need your guys' help. I'm feeling okay the tube holes hurt sometimes its only when im bending and especially after waking up. I need some tips on avoiding picking up things over five pounds? Math is a real pain but I'm almost caught up. Hasta la manana, have a nice Christmas
Jake

Do the math!

Do the math!

Hey now, Jake, do you want us to get into hot water with your folks too?!

I don't think any of us would advocate your going into a math slump.
Can you get some help from a friend who's better at math than you are? My daughter got help that way and it sure made a difference.

Sounds like you're trying somewhat if you're almost caught up?

Hang in there. Christmas break is almost upon us!

Happy Holidaze!

Hey Jake and Jake's mom. Thanks for updating us. Nice to know you are doing so well, Jake. Ease up on lifting, tho. You don't wanna mess up any of that art work the surgeon did.

LOL = Laugh out loud
ROFL = roll on the floor laughing
BRB - be right back (this is for folks who chat)
O/W = otherwise
W/O = without
BTW -- by the way
TeeHee = Zazzy's giggle!

God bless
:)

Hi, its been several months...

Hi, its been several months...

Hello everyone
Jake is doing great - hope you are, too. It looks like lots of conversation and help has happened since we last corresponded. There is sure a lot of activity on this wonderful site! Jake received the Ross Procedure on December 4, 2001.

Jake is really active right now. He spends a lot of time shooting hoops in the gym or out in our driveway. I think he'd like to try and be on the basketballteam next year. He'll be a sophomore. Our four boys all attend a small private Christian school and we think that Jake making the team is do-able. He's been told by one coach that he picks things up pretty quickly for someone who hasn't been able to be active all his life.

The scar is doing well..doesn't seem to bother him. We have a question for all you experts out there...someone, a friend of a friend's doctor or something, said that it was important to keep the scar out of the sun...or to be sure and keep sunscreen on it, or something like that. We haven't asked our own doctor yet but we heard from another patient that our doctor doesn't think there is any reason to keep the scar out of the sun. Anybody else have any opinions or info on this?

Jake has blood pressure pills that he is supposed to remember and take daily, and the remembering is going fair. I really feel we made the right decision..with all of your support and with a lot of research and prayer...to go with the Ross procedure.

Jake gets another checkup in a few weeks. He went out and jogged two miles with his Dad the other day! That would have been impossible before. He also likes working on curl-ups.

Hope all is going well for each of you!
Jake's Mom

Latest posts

Back