Jackie (ADL)needs 2nd surgery and our prayers!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the art den lady said:
Hi there - :) SNIP

I am able to take a deep breath!! I never realized I wasn't getting a full breath before . . . it feels real good.

I'm no longer as cold as I used to be. I would go to church with 2 shirts on and 2 pair of pants, plus leave my big bulky Columbia on and still be freezing. Wow!

So there are many pluses to this journey and I'm so thankful. It can only go up from here!

Eternally grateful,
Jackie
Official Member of the 'Triple Zipper' Club
----------------------------------------

4/95 - TIAs (started after childbirth)
'98-01 - Misdiagnosed with asthma (Not sure if those are the right years, but 3 years for sure)
1/03 - PFO (hole in heart) plugged up
1/03 - FVL (clotting disorder) diagnosed
1/03 - Coumadin started
2/16/07 - OHS with St. Jude Mechanical Valve, Dr. Suri, Mayo, Rochester
2/20/07 - OHS with Carbo Medics because St. Jude was clotting, Dr. Suri, Mayo, Rochester
2/20/07 - Stitches reopened because of excessive bleeding
2/26/07 - Pacemaker implanted because of block in AV node

Living in Minnesota I'm SURE you are DELIGHTED with your improved circulation! I remember pulling my feet out from the covers to take off my 'sleeping socks' after my AVR. That's when I KNEW my new valve was working so much better than my diseased original!

After reading of your St. Jude Valve Failure, I'd REALLY like to know why your surgeon told you that he "didn't think the On-X Valve was a good option"

'AL Capshaw' (still keeping On-X as my FIRST Choice for MVR)

I believe the On-X valve wasn't used because I have FVL (Factor V Leiden-a clotting disorder). We now know the St. Jude is also not a good option for those with FVL. The St. Jude clotted and that's why I went in for my second OHS. I'm glad my surgeon chose to put in the Carbo Medics because so far it's working well. My body has circulation! I can take deep breaths, which I didn't realize I was never able to do until now. I sweat and I'm also warm. No more piling on umpteen blankets and an electric blanket just to keep warm. (I was still cold with all of that!)

I'm so very grateful. I still need pain meds, but hopeful I will be able to reduce the amount soon. From about the middle of my incision up until the top of my incision I have pain in my chest about a hands length across. The meds are non-narcotic but I am going to try to use less starting the middle of next week.

I have been watching the posts regarding your surgery and was so happy to see you were home and mending. The reference to St Cloud Mn caught my eye since I was born and raised there. Spent 54 years living in St Cloud. We were there yesterday to do some visiting. Keep feeling better each day.
Kathy

Hi...Iv been following your news and am delighted to see you are home ''safe and sound'' and doing well. I hope your recovery continues uneventfully. Best Wishes.

Hi Jackie - Glad you're home and safe and sound. The bad smells will go away. Just in time for springtime! Have a beautiful spring!

Hey there! Well, I'm about 1 month post-op. I'm taking Lasik to get some fluid off of my lungs. I'm thinking it's working because I've lost 16 pounds at my highest weight after I got out. I have my follow-up chest x-ray & echo the beginning of April.

I'm still a bit short of breathe if I do too much and some odd feeling of light-headedness. I heard Lasik can contribute to this. I've taken walks down to our mailbox which really feels good. When I go the clinic for my INR checks, I do use a wheelchair because it's a lot of walking. I finally have felt well the last 3 days and each day is better than the one before. What a blessing!

I threw up constant in the hospital and a few times at home. I'm hoping that is finally gone! That can really wipe one out, plus with the lack of sleep you miss from being in the hospital. Sleep is so important for ones mindset.

Good thoughts to those of you who are making this journey yet. Please, don't hesitate to email if you have any questions I could answer.

Keep on, keeping on! Jackie

-----------------------------------------------------------
1995 - TIAs (started after childbirth), Aspirin started
2000 - Misdiagnosed with asthma for 3 years
2003 - PFO (hole in heart) plugged up
2003 - FVL (clotting disorder) diagnosed
2003 - Coumadin started
2/16/07 - OHS - St. Jude (clotted), Dr. Suri, Mayo, Rochester
2/20/07 - OHS - Carbo Medics, Dr. Suri, Mayo, Rochester
2/20/07 - Stitches reopened because of excessive bleeding
2/26/07 - Pacemaker implanted because of block in AV node
3/14/07 - 2 days in ICU - Fluid in lungs

Glad to see that things are improving, Jackie- even if slowly:( ! Sending you best wishes for your appt. in April. Be sure to let us know how you do.

Well, I got out on Sunday to a restaurant and then saw my daughter in a play. I feel like a normal person! I even got my hair cut on Tuesday after my INR check.

I helped load and unload the dishwasher twice. :D I'm still having to sit down at times because of dizziness/lightheadedness. Boy, I sure appreciate all these 'normal' things one can do, whereas before surgery I didn't really think about it.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts and prayers. I really appreciate them.
Jackie

Welcome Home !!
So sorry for the rough start.. but certainly glad you are now at the lit end of that tunnel!!:D

Glad you are at home. My prayers and thoughts are with you. You are a SURVIVOR. Get plenty of rest and take a break very now and then. I know I had to sit down for a short break to rest when up on my feet doing just simple tasks. I wish you a speedy recovery.

6 Week Post-Op Check A-Okay

6 Week Post-Op Check A-Okay

Hi there-

Thought I'd post one last time under this thread. I just got back from the Mayo in Rochester and my valve is looking good with no clotting issues. Also, I have no fluid on my lungs! :D Praise God! It can only keep getting better and better. I still have incision/pacemaker pain, but I'm sure that will improve with time.

Thanks to all of you who kept me in your prayers and for all the wonderful thoughts! :eek: This is an amazing site. :)

Great news, Jackie! So glad things are finally going so well- keep up the good work!

Jackie
I just caught up with this thread and I'm glad to hear you are back home. My God, what you've gone through. If I ever feel sorry for myself in the future, I'd make sure to read your thread,,,what an inspiration you are. You will be in my prayers on Easter Sunday
Maka

Hallelujiah!

Hallelujiah!

So I will expect to see you back in church soon then? Cool! I had some testing done myself, on Thursday...still awaiting the results, but so far everything seems good. Maybe I'll see you Easter Sunday?? Call me one of these days and we'll have a "heart to heart"!

Good news, Jackie!

Thoughts/prayers continuing for you....

Cort:33swm."Mr Monte Carlo.Mr Road Trip".pig valve.pacemaker
PICS:lego.HO.model.MCinfo.RT.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Get the word out" ... Collective Soul ... 'Feeling Better Now'

So sorry to read of all you've been through. So glad you're back home and feeling well.
Janene and Kevin

Jackie-I just finished reading through this thread and WOW...you have had a rough ride! I am so glad to hear you are doing better now..I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers and hope that you continue to feel better and better. I am sure we probably passed in the hallway at Mayo. My surgery was on Feb. 27th. I left there on March 5th. My recovery has had several bumps in the road as well,but nothing compared to what you have gone through! What a survivor!!!
We will have to talk more when you are feeling better...we seem to have alot in common( I have been having TIA's for the past 14 years)
Again, best of luck to you!:)

Back