I've been a quiet lil Aussi....

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aussigal

OK...

heres the gossip as to why I havent been here making as much noise as usual:D ...

I have had Anaemia and when I saw my Cardio last week he said I looked dreadful and needed a transfusion so he booked me into hospital the next day for a re-fill.

Well I woke up Saturday morning (the day I was booked to go to hossy) with a racing heart. I mentioned it to mum and then promptly forgot about it and packed my little overnight bag for my blood-refill adventure. I felt like I needed a nap badly by 9am and I had only woken up at 8am:eek: .

We got to Hospital and had me all settled in my nice room. I was anticipating a nice nap while they refilled my blood. WRONG!!! :rolleyes:
The Cardio came in to put the Cannula in (my heart was still racing but I was ignoring it :eek: ) .As soon as she put the ouchee-cannula in I went all woozy and had a turn of A-fib on them.:confused: yucky!!!
They quickly summoned my personal cardio who was nearby and moved me into the Cardia-Care-Unit and hooked me up to all those beeping machines again. After 2 doses of Digoxin I was wide awake and the A-fib settled back down to normal and they began filling me up with the Jungle-Juice(blood)...I got 4 units all up and it took til 1am....I could feel the tiredness leave me as I was filling up on the drugs and blood.

So now its Thursday and have been home since Sunday and waiting for this blood-energy to kick-in and finally it has I think...I am no-longer ready for a nap within an hour of waking. My muscles are all still cross at me and ache but I am feeling the best yet since my OP.

I saw my Surgeon yesterday who went over my dramatic-operation and re-operation and also gave me my native-valve I had asked for :cool: . We are keeping an eye on the Haemoglobin which has been dropping and will investigate that further and we are still working on training these guys on proper INR management but we will get there.

My scar looks great just a fine pink line about 8 inches long and a matching one on my leg about 10 inches from my surprise by-pass.

My BP has dropped and actually my Cardio decreased my pills even more to try give me a bit more BP and energy...I am now on 1/4 of the pills I was on before my OP so that is great news for me :D I am thrilled!

And yes I can hear my valve....I can make it loud or qiet, thumping or ticking depending on how I am seated etc...I was hoping to be able to hear it! didnt expect to be able to see it though :eek: ...but as there isnt much/any fat on this ole body I guess I shoud have expected to be able to see me pulsate in-time to my new beat!

So there we go...
all my Doctors are keeping a close eye on me and I havent kissed goodbye to my surgeon just yet as he has a couple more checks he wants to do yet including a CT/MRI on the new valve and graft to check his work and the by-pass.

OK...have to go force myself to eat something...my appetite has gone missing again...rather annoying...

I try to pop-in daily and check on you all, but until now have had very little spare energy to post....I am working on changing that !

hugs all round
love ton

If you were that anemic I'm not surprised that you were having racing heart problems and a-fib. Hearts don't like anemia.

You have to try really hard and make the rest of your recovery boring!!!!!

Well, you just can't stand...........

Well, you just can't stand...........

not getting all the attention anymore, can ya? :D Seriously, shame on you, sweetie. You must take better care of yourself and quit ignoring your heart when it's got bouts of ADHD! Are you going to take an iron supplement? I hope so. I'm glad you are home and feeling better. We miss you when you are out having adventures without us. Much love. J.

Ton,
Please try to stay out of hospital for awhile (say - forever).;) :D ;) Glad you are feeling a bit better and hope that grows each day.
Take care of yourself.

Tonia

I've had some anemia problems too that began with my botched colonoscopy back in March. (I was transfused with 4 units of blood). When I left the hospital following my AVR on April 16, my hemoglobin was only 10.1. Lost more blood during surgery. I was surprised to find it had only risen to 10.6 by May 5, and the blood test showed I'm a bit anemic. So, I've been gobling down the iron pills lately.

Anyway - I just wanted to mention that even with a blood transfusion, the process of getting your blood entirely back to normal is kind of a slow process. Don't expect it to happen overnight.

Glad you are home again -- lets stay there, OK?

I know blood manufactering was the last thing to come back on line for my body. Hopefully, yours will realize that you are indeed alive and start the factory up once again. I know they thought I might be leaking somewhere and sent me to MRI and found nothing. The old bones just weren't working at the time. It came slowly, but sure was scary for a while.

Glad your back

Glad your back

I had been missing your regular postings and was concerned you may have gone back to hospital what with your reluctance to leave the first time. ;) I just hope you can stay away from the place now, other than if you have to go back for tests. :) I would certainly rate it as a big win if you can get the drug count down, the doctors can offer you all sorts of nice platitudes about your progress, however I didn't consider it progress if the drug count isn't coming down. I must say your statement "And yes I can hear my valve....I can make it loud or quiet, thumping or ticking depending on how I am seated etc...I was hoping to be able to hear it" is exactly the opposite of what I would have been hoping for, silence is golden. :eek: I am pleased the sound doesn't trouble you, and I look forward to reading of your continued progress. :)

on my first visit to my primary dr, he passed me in the hall and said 'you look pale, you are anemic'. When I finally got in his office, he gave me shots, sent me off to the hospital for lab confirmation and he was right on target. I spose we lose lots of blood during surgery and maybe don't manufacture it right away.

Sorry this had to happen to you. Hope you stay on the mend. Keep us informed. Blessins..........

Ton

Ton

So good to see your posts..I have missed your updates.
Hopefully now that you have re-fueled..your body will keep up with the iron making?
Get out the beet root!!
I would think your appetite will improve now that you are stable also.
Hoping you are "home' and out of the hospital for good this time!! Keep improving!!

Yep,
I fought the anemia bit myself. Actually I've fought it all of my adult life. My problem has been an inability to take the iron supplements. I always get sick as a dog; even with the ones that supposedly wait until they hit your intestines to dissolve. Your receiving the units of blood is probably the best thing that could happen to you.
Soon you'll be up and running around like the crazy Ton we all know and love.:) :)
Watch out world!:) :)

There you are!! And you sound so much like yourself now. Heaven's to Betsy (an ancient American pharse.....don't even know how it popped into my head!!) you have been put through it!! I agree with the others.....that's enough for now!!

But take it slow. You have to be patient with recovery. Your body (as you've come to realize) is truly in charge so you need to continue to listen to it. What I found encouraging, was that when I wasn't tired I knew that I felt 100% better. I mean, almost like new!! So, knowing that, I've been okay to wait it out, push it gently, let it be. Not there yet......but it's fine.

It's really good to have you back. We know you won't be shy!! Looking forward to crossing paths some more now. :) Oh, and Daisy is working on her response...... :D thanks!!

Marguerite

Hey, Ton - pinking up a little, are ya? No experience with anemia, but my mom and my daughter both have had to fight it. Can't imagine how tired you must have been being both post-ohs and anemic.

Glad to hear you're on the mend. Missed you around here.

Geesh, you have had a complicated recovery. What an ordeal! I am 7 weeks post op and just barely getting my appetite back. Good luck to you!
--Janea

Hi Ton,
Hoping that is the end of hospital visits for you. Take care of yourself and recover quickly. Looking forward to all good posts of your progress.

Great to have you back!!! Hopefully,you will be heading upward in the healing process.

Awww shucks guys...you make me blush with all the attention :eek: ...

Yes I was rather anaemic 7.7 was my initial level and the blood brought it up to 11.8 ....strangely I didnt lose any blood during surgery and all the Doctors etc commented on how DRY I was :rolleyes: ....so I was probably a bit anaemic going in as well.

Thankfully I have had 2 whole days feeling more like the old me and not as if I cant keep my eyes open which is how it was....I was even too tired to concentrate and keep my eyes open long enough to post on VR...Now thats tired!

I am almost ready to start tackling housework now but the boys promised to clean up their mess first so I think I will let them have their turn!

I have the "Priority-patient" card for my hospital now but hopefully I wont be needing it ! :D

Other than my low blood I think the rest of my recovery is pretty normal for someone who had the extended version of surgery...It took me 2 weeks to be able to walk around my room without the wobbles, now that surprised me. Now I am almost ready to tackle a quick walk thru the shop as long as I can grab a wheelchair if I get woozy.

I think I am very much like you Mary Iron has never ever agreed with me either and I get sick from iron supplements so I am eating steak everday instead. My hubby tried to trick me into eating a casserole with kidney and liver ,telling me it was mushroom...It didnt work...there are some foods I just cant eat :p and he thought he would outsmart me !

Thanks heaps everyone...
I am feeling much more like my old-self now and at long-last have energy to post here again YAY!!!!

SUPER.

Trying to figure out which Iron reading you refered to? Is that Iron Saturation? Mine is/was low too. May still be, but I am taking iron pills.

Latest posts

Back