It's me... I'm home

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurad37

Just wanted to let you all know I came home yesterday (Friday). I will write more about the experience when I'm up to it. I now understand why some people can't do alot on the computer or watch tv or listen to music. It's a bit confusing, tiring and spacey if that makes any sense.

I do have one question though. I love water. Before surgery I drank a ton of water. NOW... well I get the whole blended rocks thing that ppl talk about. I tried drinking koolaid regular. Then koolaid with ice and watered down. I'm so thirsty but nothing seems to taste right. Any suggestions????? I even tried one of the kids strawberry kiwi juice boxes (that was the worse). I'm scared of apple juice because I threw up in the hospital after having that.

Oh and by the way, for those of you waiting. As soon as you feel nasuaus in the hospital, ask for something. Throwing up after being cut open and having all of your organs moved around is not fun. This happened 2 different nights. The first time was when I was in the ICU still. The second night was the last night I was there. That truely gives you a description of the word PAIN.

I'll write more later. Getting sleepy again. Thanks for all the well wishes and prayers. They really worked. I enjoyed Matt reading me all of your posts. They really kept me going.

Laura, glad to hear you're out of the hospital! Get lots of rest and try to move around a bit when you're awake to flush out the anesthesia and drugs that are making you feel spacey and messing up your taste buds. I hated feeling out of it all the time but that will soon pass.

Are you on lasix? That stuff seemed to keep me thirsty and dizzy often. I didn't have problems with bottled water or lemon-lime type drinks (diet sprite, diet sierra mist) without sugar. Sugar drinks like apple juice can be a little strong for your stomach. I've never thrown up since the surgery although I've have a lot of nausea early on that made me struggle to hold it down.

Good luck with the rest of your recovery. I'll look forward to hearing more about your adventures so far.

Laura, glad to hear you're out of the hospital! Get lots of rest and try to move around a bit when you're awake to flush out the anesthesia and drugs that are making you feel spacey and messing up your taste buds. I hated feeling out of it all the time but that will soon pass.

Are you on lasix? That stuff seemed to keep me thirsty and dizzy often. I didn't have problems with bottled water or lemon-lime type drinks (diet sprite, diet sierra mist) without sugar. Sugar drinks like apple juice can be a little strong for your stomach. I've never thrown up since the surgery although I've have a lot of nausea early on that made me struggle to hold it down.

Good luck with the rest of your recovery. I'll look forward to hearing more about your adventures so far.

yes i am on lasix

Hi Laura. Welcome home! So glad to see you post. I drank diet gingerale (or regular) and water. Gingerale may be to sweet for you. I did not have that problem. Whatever I drank, I enjoyed! I was dry and it did not bother me. Good to hear from you.

Welcome home! Just take it easy and don't overdo it. I am almost 7 weeks post op and finally starting to feel almost normal so it takes a while.
God bless

Welcome home. Glad to hear that everything, except your taste buds, is ok. That makes perfect sense that you cannot do alot or concentrate to well. Your body has been through alot, and your body is taking most of your energy to heal. That in itself would leave you tired, and spacey.

Hope all goes well over the next few week. Just relax & take it easy do not rush yourself. :)

I'm glad you're home, Laura.
I was more thirsty than hungry for a week to ten days post-op, so I understand what you're going through.

Hey there Laura, Welcome home.

I've heard that lemon drop helps with a dry mouth, it also may help your thirst.

So glad to hear your home; remember to be good to yourself.

Welcome home, Laura! Sorry about the oogie tummy and the thirst. I got off the lasix before I left the hospital (it's weird to watch 60 year-old hands turn into 90 year-old hands in a matter of seconds!) but was constantly thirsty while I was on it. Ice chips did it for me most of the time, and once I had iced cranberry juice that tasted like ambrosia. My best friends, though were the fruit popsicles the nurses brought me. They were almost the only thing I could taste.

My recommendation is iced water with lemon in it. The tartness really seems to help--and since your stomach didn't like the sweet stuff, try tarter things. My taste buds are only gradually coming back, but the lemon slices in water or fizzy water (San Pellegrino) are my favorite tipple now. I may never have to touch a glass of wine again.

Be good to yourself and take care. Thank that wonderful husband of yours for keeping us abreast of your progress.

Hey Laura--- glad everything went well!!
Take it easy and don't be trying to pick up
your kids! I hope you have lots of help with
them, you'll need it. I forgot, how young are they?
Are they old enough to help you??
Take care Debbie :)

Nice to see you posting Laura - glad that surgery went well.

I can recommend water with lemon (or lime) - DH was constantly thirsty when he got home but nothing seemed to quench it. A squeeze of lemon helped.

Glad your home and doing ok. I drank bottled water then squeezed some lemon juice in it still do that on a regular basis. Once in awhile I had a sprite. Try drinking at least 8+ glasses of water a day since your on Lasix. Hope your feeling better everyday. Take Care, Crystal :)

Hey Laura--- glad everything went well!!
Take it easy and don't be trying to pick up
your kids! I hope you have lots of help with
them, you'll need it. I forgot, how young are they?
Are they old enough to help you??
Take care Debbie :)

That's one of the promises i made to my surgeon is I wouldn't pick the little ones up. They have enjoyed helping me with little things. My 4 yr old follows me back and forth to and from the bathroom carrying my heart pillow. She loves putting my slippers on everytime I get up. My 7 yr old has been helping too. Just to get me little things that I cant get get from upstairs or did all the work of sitting down and finally getting comfy that I don't want to get back up for. My older ones 11,12,14 are also helping with things I can't do yet or don't have the energy to do.

Welcome home Laura. Just keep remembering that your ONLY jobs for the next few weeks are to walk, sleep, eat and breathe. Anything else will slow down your healing.

Welcome home, im glad your on the road to recovery now, just take things easy and listen to your body. I had the same thing with my tastes buds nothing tasted right for a few weeks, but hey i have made up for that now LOL.
You take care
Jane

Glad to hear everything is going so well. Sounds like you have alot of cooperation with the little ones. Just remember to take it easy & use your energy for healing. Good luck.
picture.php

Back