It's Aug 26th and I'm 4 weeks post op :)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BAVD John

Well I thought I'd post my weekly update for a while just as long as some of you seem interested in my progress. I know there are people awating surgery and some that are a week or two post op behind me.

I started walking a mile twice a day a few days ago. A few weeks ago I never would have thought that would have been possible at this stage of my recovery. I do tire from the walk but believe that will improve as I walk more over these next several weeks. The weather has become more favorable here in Chicago for walking as compared to a week ago. My cardio thinks I'm ready to start stage 2 cardic rehab, what ever that is.

I still have the numbness in my chest. I guess that will take some time to go away if it ever really does go away. I saw my own cardio yesterday and he stated that I shouldn't be surprised if some of the numbness remains for some time. I hope he is wrong on that note as the numbness does appear to limit my mobility. I've got a couple more weeks before I can drive, lift more that 10 lbs or reach over my head.

I've been having a difficult time sleeping since my surgery and my cardio did write me a script for a sleeping pill yesterday. I took the first last night and it did seem to help. I will try it for a few more days and then try sleeping without the aid of the pill. Hopefully, just taking the sleeping pill for several days will help me get back in the sleeping groove at night. Anyone else have trouble sleeping at night after surgery?

I'm a high school math teacher and my cardio wondered when I thought I'd be ready to go back to work. I told him in probably another 3 weeks or so. I need to be comfortable writing on the blackboard and that just isn't possible now. How long do most people stay away from work? I suppose it depends on the type of work someone does too.

I'm eating normally now. I'm still about 10lbs under my pre surgery weight. I hope to keep those pounds off so my pants feel a little better. :)

Back to resting, walking and recovering. :)

Patience my friend. You seem to be coming along just fine. As to the numbness, it might last a while, have you asked your cardio if you can do some gentle stretching exercises so your chest muscles will not feel so cramped. Like you say everyone is different, but I stayed out of work for 8 weeks, then back to my sitting office job but part time to start. I have a great boss. Good Luck to you...:)

Good progress John, I am 2 weeks behind you. I am progressing at snail's pace. I waiting for tomorrow to finish the 2 week mark. I don't know for some reason its just taking for ever for me. I should start reading something to keep me engaged.
Are you still taking pain medication?

vasandhan,

Nope. I stopped taking the pain meds a couple of nights ago. Since I've been home I've only taking them at bedtime. My progress was slow to start too. My family and friends can see a definite change in my energy level over the past couple of weeks. I've got school work that I need to start working on to exercise my mind some. Watching TV is getting old and it doesn't help when my Chicago Cubs keep losing games. ugh! Hang in there it will get better and keep your attitude positive too. :)

BAVD John,

You seem to be doing fine. I am a physics teacher. I returned to my job five and a half weeks post-op. It was very useful boost to my my seld confidence. At first I taking easy, sitting most of the time. I did not have problem with the blackboard, but at first I took some acetaminophen, just in case. After a week, I was back to an almost regular routine.

Juan

Keep the reports coming, John

Keep the reports coming, John

Hi, John, It's good to hear your progress and your experiences. I meet with my surgeon tomorrow so I shall embark on my own adventure soon. It is reassuring to hear how your recovery is going even if you find it halting or slow. Your progress is probably a more realistic model for those of us more like you in age and circumstance. While we would all prefer a recovery without disappointments and set backs it isn't very helpful to only hear of success stories. That your recovery is more difficult than you would have preferred makes your successes all the more significant to me. Thanks for continuing to share.

Sounds like you are doing well. I think your smart to wait until you will feel comfortable returning to work. I went back after 8 weeks. I was tired when I got home. Best of luck to you.

Hi John, I made 4 weeks yesterday. I'm at about the same point you are. I did want to tell you that I had a slight issue where I started to get really fatigued and felt I wasn't getting enough rest during the middle of last week. The Dr thought I was walking too much too far. I was up to about 6 miles a day (4 trips - 1-2 miles per). He said it was probably too much, but it felt great. After easing up a little (2-3 trips - 1-2 miles) I now feel a little better.

Sleeping: I had a hard time with this for a couple reasons. I was trying to lay flat on my back, take a pain pill (vik), after drinking a bunch of water all day. I kept waking up to either use the restroom or racing pulse or uncomfortable. I stopped taking pain pills last week and stopped drinking water after 9pm. The other change I made was that I now sleep on the couch against a very firm cushion with my back at about a 30-40 degree angle. I sleep the whole night now! I would like to sleep in my bed again soon, but this is working so I'm doing this for now!

It's good to hear your doing well. Keep up the recovery! It can be difficult for those of us watching the cubs without recently having had major surgery :)

Hi John. I am 10 days behind you. I have an office job but plan on going back to work 1/2 days next week. My Cardio says it is ok as long as i feel up to it. I just had an echo done and he says i have some inflamation and i need to take some motrin. A little set back i believe but he says to be expected. Oh by the way I am also a huge Cub fan. They are playing the Astros and today the Astros activated Aaron Boone. He had an Aortic Aneurysm removed in March. He ended up having AVR surgery with a graft. 5 months later back in the bigs. WOW!

Alex,

Good to hear from you. I'll be 5 weeks post op some time after midnight tonight so let's just call it Wednesday. :) I've been walking 40 minutes twice a day for the the past 3 days. I'm guessing I'm walking some where between 1 1/2 miles to a 1 3/4 miles. I feel good after the walks and don't feel fatigued as I did a week ago or so. There were plenty of times I took a walk and then a nap. I have had trouble sleeping since my surgery so last week my cardio wrote me a script for some sleeping pills. That has helped a lot and I have not taken a nap since I started taking the sleeping pills. The only issue I'm dealing with now is numbness in my chest. I'm not sure if I incurred any additional nerve damage since my chest was opened up 3 times in one day. I'm glad you are feeling better. My family can't believe how much I've improved in the last two weeks and I hope the same for you.

Knoxbone09
Thanks for the kind words. Now quick turn your TV on the Cubs are winning.

Pweeder,
Not only are you 10 days behind me you are probably less than 15 miles from my home. I'm not going to rush this recovery. I'm planning on returning to work on the 21st of this month. I sure hope this chest issue I mentioned above to Alex improves by that time. The Boone story should be an inspiration to us all. Cubs 3, Astro's 0 in the 7th.

Good luck to all 3 of you. :)

Wow, you are all doing better than me, my surgery was on 7/30. I have walked a couple of blocks but no miles for me yet....I am having a bit of a problem with the emphysema, so I stayed in most of the month. I've been going out walking and shopping the past 2 days (the weather has been nice finally), but I am no where near you guys. I get wiped out quickly, and hate to rest but have to. I work in NYC, and have been working from home a couple of hours a day, just until I get tired. I did something stupid the other day, I decided to vacuum, wrong move, my sternum (which was not really hurting me) has now started to hurt again, I am still taking a percocet only at night, because when I get up i feel like I was run over. I see the surgeon for the first time tomorrow, now I'm going to feel like I have not been making strides because i am jealous of how far you all have gotten....(just kidding, I have COPD, so it's a little slower recovery)..
Anyway, you are all doing great. As far as going back to work, I don't think I will be back until Oct...as I am an operations manager and my job is very long days and pretty physical. My company has been great and the coverage allows me about 26 weeks full pay.Doubt I'll be out that long.....
From your jealous friend in Brooklyn, New York.....

john your job is a lot more walking than mine. If i had to do any raising of my arms i could not do it now. I can do my job sitting mostly at my desk. Thanks for the updates and the good news about your progress. Please keep posting your progress.

General allowance for this procedure by insurance companies and short-term-disability plans is 6-8 weeks, at the discretion of your physician. If you go back early, you're not doing yourself - or your company/school - any favors.

Last time, I returned after six weeks, but only half days for the first two weeks. Even though there is no physical aspect to my job, it's shocking how much strain your job does put on you. I was exhausted every afternoon for those two weeks.

Best wishes,

Hey John, thanks for the update. It all sounds good and I am looking forward to being on that side of the mountain. My surgery is on the 11th.

I'll bet you keep feeling better and better. Please keep posting.

Latest posts

Back