It figures!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheriejolay

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Northern California, about 30 miles from Lake Taho
Hello all,
I am four weeks post-op today, from the AV repair, and three weeks post EP/ablation. Have been having lots of, what felt like, irregular heartbeats, so to be sure, my cardiologist had me come in, and ran some ECG strips. Good news: I'm NOT in atrial fibrillation, but my heart rate is all over the place. Anywhere from 49 to 107, within the 10 minutes they were monitoring me. When I left Mayo, my ECG showed a "short PR interval", which they interpretated as "junctional", and that appears to still be the case. Also, when I left Mayo, I had a small pericardial effusion, but an echo done Friday, shows more effusion.

I asked my Dr (who is also someone I work with......I'm a cardiac sonographer) if I am experiencing Dressler's Syndrome, and he said "Yes. That happens when you're in the medical field" (his attempt at a joke. He says if anything is going to go wrong, it goes wrong on people he works with, and/or are friends with).

Bottom line: I know all of this is common, and to be expected, AND will all resolve, but, not gonna lie......feeling a little bummed. I thought I would feel better by now, but still short of breath, and still having pain in back, and chest (probably from the effusion). PLUS, I'm sick of being home! They said I might experience some depression, but I also feel kinda mad. Mad at my slow progress. Mad at being bored. Mad at not sleeping well.

On a positive note, our friends and family have been fantastic. They have provided dinners for us, since we've been home, and been very supportive.

Okay, thanks for letting me vent. I know this will pass...........I appreciate having this forum to be able to say how I'm feeling, to people who can possibly relate. Hope everyone is doing well! Cherie

You are doing fine, and you are on top of your little issues. Of Course you are going to still be achy. You should be starting to feel a little better week by week, but it seems so slow.

And you are right at the stage where you are feeling well enough to be seriously bored/frustrated/grouchy, etc. etc. That means you are getting better.

Hang in there!

On a plus is the fact that you have the knowledge of it and know that you will fully recover.....
highs.gif

Cherie,I felt like crap at 4 weeks post op and thought the same as you,that i would never recover.Well things started to change in the 6th week and I got better everyday after that.Today is 64 days post op (9 weeks) and I feel great.Heading out to Florida next week in my motorhome to walk in the sand on the beach,i hear it is a great excersize.

Not Sleeping Well ?

Bored?

MAD that you don't seem to be progressing faster?

Sounds like you just had Open Heart Surgery ! :)

Welcome to the Club. These are ALL pretty common experiences.

MANY survivors report that they are chomping at the bit to be more active and resume their normal lives.

Recovery OFTEN takes longer than we would like.

As long as you can see progress from week to week, you are heading in the right direction.

Remember, Patience is a Virtue and the Tortoise won the race.

It doesn't mean that you have to LIKE IT :)

'AL Capshaw'

Cheri, Do they have you taking Motrin or anything to help with the effusion? Justin gets pericardial effusions after almost all his OHS, and if they start motrin it seems to help pretty quickly and he feels MUCH better once he doesn't have the SOB or extra pain. Sometimes if just the Motrin isn't enough they'll put him on prednisone for a short while, but for the most part since he has had it a few times it gets caught pretty early so doesn't become a bigger problem.

My local cardiologist started me on Aleve, but it was burning my stomach. There's not many meds that DON'T mess with my stomach. I have had a history of bleeding ulcers, since I was a teenager, and have had to have multiple surgeries for it. He has me trying Celebrex right now. We're going to re-check the effusion in a couple of days, and see if it's any bigger.

My local cardiologist started me on Aleve, but it was burning my stomach. There's not many meds that DON'T mess with my stomach. I have had a history of bleeding ulcers, since I was a teenager, and have had to have multiple surgeries for it. He has me trying Celebrex right now. We're going to re-check the effusion in a couple of days, and see if it's any bigger.

Sorry to hear that the aleve was causing you problems, hopefully it is clearing up. I KNOW you will feel much better without the fluid.

Back