Is yours sticking out ?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine is sticking out, six months out of surgery and it's keloids, I use Bio-Oil which relieves the itching and uncomfortable feeling of the scar, apparently the Bio Oil is suppose to really help reduce the scar anxiously awaiting the results. They say you have to use for 3 months to get results, it's worth the try.

After Curts first surgery it took a couple of years but his scared went to a very impressive silver flat line. This time although it as only been 6 months, a bit in the middle as gone flatter and pink, top and bottom still red and sticks out.

Mine keloids real bad. The surgeon gave me an ointment that's called kelo-cote and Ive been using it for a while. It seems to be working ok. Only time will tell. Mine also changes color upon exertion. The more I work the more purple it gets.

I use Bio-Oil

This is what I'm using too! I've really only been using for a few days yet, but I think the texture of the scar is already looking better. We'll have to compare notes 3 months from now! ;) :)

Mind you, it's also a bit hard for me to tell what is from the original scar and what is from the new. I think part of the lumpier bit down the bottom is due to the previous scar... but I have a feeling once this new one fades it won't look much different to the old (except now I'll be looking like a golf ball from all the drainage tube scars! :eek: :D )

A : )

Current status of scar is the upper part is flat or indented a bit, though wide, while the lower part is bulging from keloid changes. I mentioned in a post many months ago that I formed keloids over so-called dissolving sutures, while regular sutured wounds didn't go keloid, and unstitched wounds didn't form keloids at all. Even ones that were fairly gaping open. I had a 3 inch long cut on my forehead in the summer of 2007, and despite some infection and the wound cracking open a couple of times from drying in summer (Idaho and Nevada) heat, I have to look very closely to see even the slightest sign of there being an injury. A similar sized surgical opening on my belly for some surgery did undergo keloid changes--and my skin even expelled some of the sutures years later--'dissolving' sutures that didn't dissolve. :p My one chest tube opening that seemed to lack an internal suture (most scabby and leaky) is the only 'scar' that didn't go keloid and is the least visible of the three. Perhaps those of us who get keloids from surgery could be allergic to the internal dissolving sutures. If I ever get another surgery, I'll request at least a different sort of suture, even if it means they have to open up a layer of skin to take them out, or leave them in permanently like my sternum wires.

Laura has exactly the same problem. A modest biopsy led to a keloid the diameter of a walnut. Some dog bites that were stitched went keloid, while other bite wounds, not stitched, healed nice and flat. I hope when she gets her knee done, the surgeons stay away from the sutures that cause trouble.

Chris

I am late to this discussion, but just wanted to add that I had the same problem with the bottom half of my scar. None of the creams prescribed for me worked, so I went to the dermatologist and she injected it with cortisone and it went completely flat, stopped itching, too. I also had some of the redness removed wtih a couple of laser treatments. I know that doesn't matter as much for the some, but the keloids can be itchy and the shot worked wonders for me in getting rid of it.

Keloid/cortisone

Keloid/cortisone

I've got an appointment to receive a cortisone injection today. About 1.5" at the bottom of my scasr is keloiding. It itches and burns. Had this done on a big knee scar in the 80s and it flatttened out. Hoping for the same results. I'll report back.

Got the injection today. Doc says if it hasn't flattened out in 2 - 3 weeks, come in and get another. I'll let you know what happens!

Latest posts

Back