Is this true? - Jake Logue cause of death Bicuspid Aortic Valve??

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themalteser

Is this True?? 2009 News

KNOXVILLE (WATE) -- A Kingsport football player who died during a game in Knoxville earlier this year had a heart valve problem, according to the medical examiner's report.

Andrew "Jake" Logue, 18, was a lineman for Sullivan South High School. He died during the season opener against West High School in August after he went into cardiac arrest during a play.

The Knox County Medical Examiner's Office report says Logue was apparently healthy and died naturally. It also says his cause of death was a bicuspid aortic valve.

Normally, the aortic valve allows oxygen-rich blood to flow from the heart to the aorta. It prevents the blood from flowing back from the aorta into the heart when the pumping chamber relaxes.

A bicuspid aortic valve, however, allows leakage of blood back into the pumping chamber.

It's present at birth. It develops during the early weeks of pregnancy, when the baby's heart develops.

Most of the time, a bicuspid aortic valve isn't diagnosed in infants or children because it causes no symptoms. However, the abnormal valve can leak or become narrow.

The cause of this problem isn't clear, but it's the most common congenital heart disease and often runs in families. It also occurs more in males than females.

West High School held a memorial for Logue the night after the game.

And in Kingsport the next week, hundreds of people packed into the Sullivan South High School gym to honor Logue

Not sure what your question is?.....but yes, the article is a pretty accurate description of a bicuspid valve....and yes, people often die suddenly who have this abnormal valve problem....and yes, it seems to be a "congenital and often runs in families" condition.

My question is why would they die suddenly ? Is it just because of valve being bicuspid? Valve being narrowed? Severe leakage?

My guess is sudden cardiac death caused by an arrythmia caused by the extra strain on the heart to keep re-pumping the same blood. Really he WASN't healthy. His condition probably was deteriorating, his heart was compensating until he placed the extra exercise strain on an already overworked heart, causing arrythmia.

I have no idea about the details of this particular case, but remember reading about a young athlete or two in which an undiagnosed BAV with stenosis was associated with aortic rupture and sudden death. It's extremely rare, but it can happen.

So there could have possibly been a severe leakage ? So a functionally normal bicuspid valve, does not increase risk of sudden cardiac death? Such as Brugada syndrome for example or QT Prologation.

So there could have possibly been a severe leakage ? So a functionally normal bicuspid valve, does not increase risk of sudden cardiac death? Such as Brugada syndrome for example or QT Prologation.

The article doesn't go into detail of the condition of the valve, it could of been really leaky or really narrow. Sudden death is a uncommon but definite symptom of a valve problem. That's why doctors want to have the surgery once symptoms appear.

Truly any normal person can die suddenly with no heart issue but people with heart problems its way more likely. One Cardio told me what usually happens with people that have aortic stenosis is they go into V-Fib under stress and unless someone gets paddles on you ASAP its over.

This sounds very true. I'm guessing this was an undiagnosed valve problem. Anyone with a narrowed, leaky valve which becomes severe enough will probably die within 4 years if not treated which is why we are very lucky that we are all monitored until we need the valve replacing. There are many people out there who have aortic stenosis, a leaky valve etc who don't know it which can be very dangerous. Thankfully surgery these days can restore a normal life (with a few modifications) if treated early.

Themalteser,

I relate to this article. I came very close to a sudden death because of my AV failure in a very short period of time and an undiagnosed BAV.

I passed out at an eye doctor appointment while I was getting my eyes checked. I was told by my Cardio it was because of the extreme regurgitation, my blood pressure dropped and my heart went into a rhythm issue for a short time. I regained consciousness for a short time while my head was on my knees, but when they tried to raise my head, I passed out again. By the time the ambulance and my fire crews arrived my heart had stabilized and I was somewhat conscious.

Prior to the event, I had no idea I had any problems. The only symptom that I had was exhaustion. Which in typical firefighter fashion, I blew it off and put the cause as coming from my work hours. Six months earlier, I had an annual cardiac work up due to high blood pressure. There were no signs of a murmur or electrical problem at that time.

If I was driving, on the fire line or collapsed in position that would not allow a little blood flow to the brain, I most likely not be here to write this. I feel that the young gentleman might have done a similar thing and just put his symptoms off to his football training.

What started my BAV failure, I am still trying to find out. It is a question that I can’t get a straight answer from any of my doctors yet.

I hope this help you somewhat.

Themalteser,

I relate to this article. I came very close to a sudden death because of my AV failure in a very short period of time and an undiagnosed BAV.

I passed out at an eye doctor appointment while I was getting my eyes checked. I was told by my Cardio it was because of the extreme regurgitation, my blood pressure dropped and my heart went into a rhythm issue for a short time. I regained consciousness for a short time while my head was on my knees, but when they tried to raise my head, I passed out again. By the time the ambulance and my fire crews arrived my heart had stabilized and I was somewhat conscious.

Prior to the event, I had no idea I had any problems. The only symptom that I had was exhaustion. Which in typical firefighter fashion, I blew it off and put the cause as coming from my work hours. Six months earlier, I had an annual cardiac work up due to high blood pressure. There were no signs of a murmur or electrical problem at that time.

If I was driving, on the fire line or collapsed in position that would not allow a little blood flow to the brain, I most likely not be here to write this. I feel that the young gentleman might have done a similar thing and just put his symptoms off to his football training.

What started my BAV failure, I am still trying to find out. It is a question that I can’t get a straight answer from any of my doctors yet.

I hope this help you somewhat.

This brings back old memories. 2 years ago I was on a treadmill and felt really strange after running really hard so I got off the treadmill to head for the door but didn't make it I went unconscious. Family heard the fall and came out to see me and at this point they said I looked normal standing right in front of them and then I fainted again, they got me up and walked me to the living room and I fainted again. This was the start of knowing I needed surgery...

I seriously could of died, I haven't fully realized this yet. Maybe one day it will hit me all at once and I will break down crying because I'm still alive.

I honestly had no idea, I thought at least it would give some warnings, such as feeling out if breath or dizzy! So for those who have this condition severe without knowing, might be living an absolute normal life , than that's it!

I honestly had no idea, I thought at least it would give some warnings, such as feeling out if breath or dizzy! So for those who have this condition severe without knowing, might be living an absolute normal life , than that's it!

Honestly, I think you may be driving yourself nuts thinking about this very, very, very rare occurance that unfortunately happened to this young man.
The truth is, there is a REALLY good chance that he had symptoms, tiredness, dizziness...etc.... and perhaps brought this up to who?? OTHER 18 YEAR OLD BOYS.... who are usually 99% healthy..... and when I was 18, and if a teamate would have said "man, I am dizzy/tired/ or short of breath a lot".....I would have said QUIT WHINING YOU WUSS!!

So this young man probably just assumed these symptons that I will bet he had...were just from "football conditioning."

Little did he know, he was in a "very severe" catagory of either stenosis, regurge or both.

Malteser..... the odds of this happening to you, or anyone of us who have had a full workup, and get regular checkups..... is SO SLIM, there is no way to put a ratio of the odds on it..... probably a better chance that you will be hit by a bus, and struck by lightning the same day, then this happening to you.

I was a pretty fast track and cross country runner in high school, ran marathons up until I was in my late 30s and never had a single problem with any of it and was never told I had a heart condition. Then at age 60 I was finally told I had a significant murmur which was soon diagnosed as BAV. Within a year I had surgery. When I questioned the need for surgery as I was asymptomatic despite a severely stenotic valve, the surgeon said my valve was in very bad shape and my first symptom could be my last. We don't know the details of this young man's case and whatever else might have been wrong with his heart to cause the arrest, but it's not unheard of with BAV.

Latest posts

Back