is this normal?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep that's normal. I called mine "my speed bump", it will go away in a few weeks. OH wait minute, you meant to say you had surgery on June 23rd right? Today is only July 13th.

Just be sure that your 'speed bump' isn't actually an infection. I had the spot at the bottom of my incision swell up and turn red, full of fluid and it turned out to need a thorough, and rather unpleasant, cleaning and a strong course of anti-biotics. It cleared up nicely and the cure was definitely better than a progressing infection would have been. If you are even a little concerned that you might have an infection, please do see a doc.

Thanks, last night i could feel it and now this morning not so much. I wonder if i was doing to much to make it swell and sore? As i am have been doing daycare already, but have not lifted anything more than i suppose too! I like to call it"speed humps" lol.

The top of the sternotomy incision is messy and bunched-up because the surgeons work hard to make the incision shorter than the internal (saw) cut through the sternum. They stretch and deform the skin to gain full access with as little slicing and sewing as reasonably possible. The result of that "skin and tissue abuse" is that the top of the incision is messy and bunched-up post-op, and takes a while to flatten out, smooth out, and calm down. I think it's a reasonable "bargain".

Some of us also have a bit of a bone bump at the top of the sternum, somewhere around the same spot (maybe higher up?). I think I had that BEFORE my OHS/AVR, and it isn't much changed, but I didn't examine myself NEARLY as carefully then as I've done since! ;)

Thanks, normofthenorth... My skin does feel stretched out and do not like to think about how my surgeon cut(saw) through my sternum! I also wished i never saw that video about my surgery. Thats just me and doing my best to heal!

Thought I'd chime in here - that area, which is trying to heal, generates a fair amount of fluid. In my case it hung around for a long time. When I saw the chiropractor for my back he recommended that I massage that area to help disperse the fluid. Worked wonderfully.

Yes, I had the bump after both my OHS. It went away gradually and by about 2 1/2 - 3 months, it was barely noticeable. Completely gone with no signs of it now.

Happy you asked so you won't be worried about it. :)

Latest posts

Back