Is it okay to get your heart rate up?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rr3972

I have a aortic tissue valve. Is it okay to get my heart rate up to 180-190 b.m.p. during exercise? I'm not on any meds. My heart really hasn't changed after surgery. I'm still able to run almost like before, I'm just more worried that bringing my heart rate up to the maximum might be a bad thing to do. Please don't tell me to ask my doctor. I've asked several, they say I should keep it down under 150 b.p.m. but when I question why they don't have a good answer. It's like they tell everyone (even people with no problems) not to get their heart rates up to the max. just to play it safe.

Well, I am no medical professional, so what I know is from researching and thinking about HR. if you got your HR up that high before surgery, then I would expect it would be ok after recovery. There is no bad effects on your valve. But why are you getting your HR so high? My running buddies would call that the hummingbird heart! :)
Is this rate based on a strap on monitor? Is it just for a few seconds?

Must be young to get it that high. At 64 I'm sure I couldn't get it anywhere close to 180 but whatever my max HR is, I go there regularly. I like to race the mile on the track and the final lap is 100%.

I think that it all depends on the reason that you had to have your valve replaced.
If you have a dissection on aneurysm, then the answer is probably "no".

If it was due to you just having a bad valve, then perhaps "yes". This type of question is always best asked to your doctors.

Rob

This should be one for your cardiologist. Having said that, the general rule is max rate = 220 - your age . This equals your safe maximum (for females its a little higher). To get the best out of your exercise you should use a heart rate training zone. For running this is usually 60 - 85% of your maximum. Remember to listen to what your body is telling you, try running with another person and ensure you can hold a conversation whilst running, a good measure that you are not overdoing it (and it's more fun). However, these are generalisations for healthy folks. See your practictioner first! Personally, after ten months, my legs are giving out first before my heart!

My unscientific opinion (form one tissue valver to another) would be to go ahead. Once I was told I had no more restrictions, I took that to mean NO restrictions. My cardiologist knew my running history (and was a marathoner as well) and what my intentions were once I could stat running again. Last summer I got back into a routine of doing a weekly tempo run and mile repeats on that track...that was until I picked up a nasty case of PF that kept me sideline for a while. During that time, I got back into weight lifting (it had been at least 10 year) and was pushing it pretty good.

My suggestion would be to work your way up to it just to give youself confidence that the heart is ok with you pushing that hard. I know that it took a while to build that up when I started doing mile repeats again.

I went straight from a long and delayed Cardio Rehab course to my return to competitive volleyball (including 2-on-2 beach), all around 1 yr post-op. Just before that, the rehab hospital gave me a stress cardio test c/w CO2 breathing tube. I asked them to push me harder than they normally would and they agreed. I was still far from "in shape" but was clocked at >135% of the expected throughput for a geezer my age. And no arrhythmias or other grounds for concern. That test gave me comfort when I re-started playing beach ball with the 20- and 30-somethings, and I recommend getting one. (I think many or most stress tests are silly, but this seems like a perfect use for it.)

I usually keep mine around 140-160 bpm, just to be on the safe side. I had my Mitral valve repaired 6-7 months ago.

How long ago was surgery? The answers may be different if it was this year.

With my Homograft, I would get it into the 180-190s every once and a while, NOT for the entire work out. With that said, at 12 years, I had to have it replaced. I do not know why and I doubt it was from high BPMs. Homografts seem to have a 12 year mortality rate.

During stress echos, there was no concern that my HR was into the 180s.

With the On-X, I can only get it into the low 170s...and that takes some extreme working out to get to.

Stay Well
Scott

Back