Is he kidding me??Help!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debster

My mom has had sob and water retention for a few days.She upped her lasix and today called her cardio as soon as they opened. She waited ALL DAY and they never called. I called the service tonight and the card on call called her. He told her to come in tomorrow for a chest xray and blood work-"normally you cannot feel it in your lungs when you have retention." WHAT???? Of course she can. Her regular card is out till Wed (and he is excellent)but I am not jacking around. I am taking her tomorrow and I am not above having a cow. Please give me your thoughts before I have a complete cow-I am very worried about her-and what kind of you know what he talking about???:confused: Deb Thanks!!!!

How much fluid is she carrying? I'm guessing that she weighs herself daily?
If the cardio will see her tomorrow, and if she upped her lasix, I think she'll be ok until then.

Mary said:
If the cardio will see her tomorrow, and if she upped her lasix, I think she'll be ok until then.
[/QUOTE

Hi Mary-Unfortunately she has not weighed herself lately..she has a broken foot and has had a boot on her leg...she is pale and coughing...not good...

Debster said:
Mary said:
[/QUOTE

Hi Mary-Unfortunately she has not weighed herself lately..she has a broken foot and has had a boot on her leg...she is pale and coughing...not good...

My first thought was CHF. My second thought is blood clot, since you said she has a broken foot. Not likely. But if I were you I'd take her to ER if you don't feel comfortable waiting for the doctor. You know how they run you through every test known to man when you say valve surgery.

Freddie said:
Can you bring her into emergency?
It doesn't sound good to me.
Sorry if I have scared you.

No-you didn't scare me. Mom told the card on call I was coming to take her to the ER and he said "They won't be able to do anything for you tonight." Once again-I ask-"Is he kidding me?" So now she will not go till morning. And today is her birthday:mad:

I've gone to the ER when I was just really freaked out with tachycardia, it was nice to be able to get on oxygen and have a heart monitor rather than worry at home. Keep checking her pulse, don't be shy to go to ER.

Debster,
He's gotta be kidding. Maybe he just doesn't want to be called in.
But you know deep down what you should do.
I'd bring her in, but make sure she has her cake first.
:(

That doctor sounds like a complete dud! Take her to the ER, to heck with him. If her CHF is that bad, they can give her IV lasix and get rid of the fluid fast.

If she is at the point of coughing and is pale, that is not good.

So do what you feel is the right thing. You can never be wrong when you are concerned and need to get help for your loved one.

Stand your ground with that bulldog of a doctor who probably wants to relax at home while he's on-call.

There's nothing they can do in the ER??? How about do a chest x-ray and other tests to start figuring out what's going on?

I would take her.

I am no expert but just recently was dealing with CHF and I would go to the ER. Nancy and Karlynn are right....Chest xray would identify and the IV lasix would start to make imediate improvements. If it is not CHF then the ER would be the best place to start diagnossing the problem. CHF is miserable and pale and coughing needs to be addressed. God bless!

If I had my way we would have gone to the ER last night. Because that on call dr said not to, my mom wouldn't. I am getting ready to leave to take her to get xray and blood work-at a small hospital near her-not where her cardio is in Kansas City. This will take all darn day-instead of just going to the ER in KC and getting immediate help. She is being stubborn-I am PRAYING we get somewhere today. Thanks for all your replies....:eek: Deb

Thanks so much for all your support!:) Mom had a bunch of tests today-blood (including BNP) chest xray, a nuclear lung test to check for possible blood clots in the lungs, and doppler test of her leg veins. Cardio is not sure what is going on-her weight is the same and he said he did not hear rattle in her lungs. Very strange. She is still coughing, and swears it feels like fluid in there. Any ideas? I am hoping she hears something tomorrow...thanks again-Deb

Deb...I get the same thing...

Deb...I get the same thing...

Debster said:
Thanks so much for all your support!:) Mom had a bunch of tests today-blood (including BNP) chest xray, a nuclear lung test to check for possible blood clots in the lungs, and doppler test of her leg veins. Cardio is not sure what is going on-her weight is the same and he said he did not hear rattle in her lungs. Very strange. She is still coughing, and swears it feels like fluid in there. Any ideas? I am hoping she hears something tomorrow...thanks again-Deb

Hi Deb,

I know this is frustrating, as I get the same thing your mom does, the coughing and the fluid-it feels like I am coming down with a cold usually everynight about 10 pm, and I have told my doctor the same thing, and he has just told me the same thing that your mom's doctor has...This is why I am going to Boston to the New England Medical Center-They are willing to go the distance to get to the bottom of things. On my initial visit, last month, Dr. Moran told me that my echo came out good-NOT GREAT...but good, so this acknowledged to me that he knows something is going on and thus, he has ordered the cardiac MRI. Are you close enough to a Major Medical Facility? If you can, I would try and get your mom to one, as I have noticed that there is a HUGE difference in the approach of the doctors-and they LISTEN and don't blow you off. I hope this helps. Hugs to you and your mom....Harrybaby:D :D :D

Latest posts

Back