Is biotin bad for a heart valve?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbeard

I feel kind of stupid asking this, but does anyone know if biotin is bad for a heart valve? I took one today, (supposed to be good for hair growth), and my heart is pounding for some reason. I hope I haven't messed up.

If anybody can respond to this, please do!

if biotin is bad for a heart valve? I took one today, (supposed to be good for hair growth), and my heart is pounding for some reason. I hope I haven't messed up.

If anybody can respond to this, please do!

I have never heard of it being anything other than an essential part of t biochemistry of your body. There are diseases associated with deficiency but nothing I've ever heard of on surplus. A quick check on Wikipedia suggests

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biotin
However, a number of metabolic disorders exist in which an individual's metabolism of biotin is abnormal, such as deficiency in the holocarboxylase synthetase enzyme which covalently links biotin onto the carboxylase, where the biotin acts as a cofactor.

And

Animal studies have indicated few, if any, effects due to high level doses of biotin. This may provide evidence that both animals and humans could tolerate doses of at least an order of magnitude greater than each of their nutritional requirements. There are no reported cases of adverse effects from receiving high doses of the vitamin, in particular, when used in the treatment of metabolic disorders causing sebhorrheic dermatitis in infants.

So if anyone knows otherwise I'll be interested to hear too :)

Thank you Pellicle. I have already learned a good lesson here. Do the research BEFORE you take something. That way you don't suffer the anxiety of having done something wrong.

Back