Irregular INR on warfarin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few things:

First - I realize that you put your kids ahead of yourself. The obvious question is - how would your kids be doing if you died? It's a harsh question, but a real one, and you have to balance the need that you stay healthy for the sake of your family against the pride that you may feel for putting your family's needs in front of your own.

Years ago, I went for three years without testing. I took it as a badge of courage. I had a big supply of coumadin samples, and always took the same weekly doses. I developed a thing on my face (it looked like a wart). I finally got my own meter, and started to self-test. I also got a fresh supply of warfarin - my INR went into range, and the 'wart' disappeared. I was JUST PLAIN LUCKY that my 'courageous' act of not having my INR tested didn't leave my kids fatherless and my wife a widow.

Self-testing is the way to go. This is especially important if you've made changes to diet, are taking antibiotics, or making any other changes in your life. If you've made changes, you may want to check more frequently, to make sure that there aren't any major swings in your INR. There are many of us who may have useful advice if your INR changes to a place where you don't want it to be.

As far as the manufacturers of warfarin are concerned, I've found a difference in my body's response to different generics. My INR was fairly stable using warfarin manufactured by Taro. I'd been using it for years. I switched pharmacies, and they switched from Taro warfarin to Jantoven. Once I started to take Jantoven, my INR dropped and is hard to control. I'm switching pharmacies back to the one that uses Taro warfarin. My current pharmacy may be happy that it saves a few pennies for each Jantoven prescription that it fills, but the warfarins are NOT equivalent in the way that the body reacts to it.

FWIW -- and I'm NOT giving any advice here -- years ago, before the pharmacies reduced their prices for generic warfarin, and before I was able to get good prescription coverage, I bought warfarin (manufactured by Taro) from an offshore pharmacy. When I started using it, I tested daily for a week or so to make sure that my INR didn't change.

My current plan - I'll switch back to Taro warfarin. It seemed to work better for me than Jantoven. I'll coax myself to test at least once a week. I usually get a blood draw once a month to confirm that my meter and the lab are within 20% of each other.

---

For you -- if you have a meter, get supplies and use it. Weekly testing is good. If you're on an antibiotic, or doing something that you think may be impacting your INR, test. If you have a doctor, speak to her (or him) about whatever health issues you have and about your INR.

I know that things can get tough. I've had some very difficult years where it seemed like I had to choose between feeding myself or feeding the family; between seeing a doctor or paying the utility bill -- life can be difficult. Choose your priorities carefully. If necessary, rethink them.

And if your decision to ignore your health is a financial one - consider asking for help. It's humiliating, I know, and the agencies sometimes want to get more intrusive in your life than you want them to, but sometimes these things have to be done.

---

I know that some of this may sound pretty harsh. But I care.

I hope that your UTI clears up right away, that you'll be able to conveniently self-test, and that you get a form of warfarin that works well for you.

Protimenow, thank you for your response. Had a busy few days and I just now checked it. I agree with everything you said. I think self testing is the way to go. Sometime in the next 3 months, I'll probably contact the company and try to re-set that up. I do still have the meter. I think I'm on the tail end of my infection. I stopped the old antibiotics I was taking, and continued home remedies. My INR was 3.2 the other day. (In range) I am watching my diet closer and making sure to take my warfarin at the same time everyday. I'm also trying to exercise daily. Everything will come together and I'll get back on track. Just needed a wake up call, I guess. If my INR stays good for 3 more weeks, I'll reschedule my knee surgery. I didn't find your post harsh at all. :) Thanks for your reply.

FWIW:
A few things. I don't know what brand meter you have. If it's a CoaguChek S (the previous model), it's no longer supported - you can't get strips for it. If it's an XS, you may just need to change the battery and date on it, and get a new supply of strips. Personally, I wouldn't trust the InRatio with MY LIFE. My preferred meter is the Coag-Sense.

The second thing: my pharmacy switched me from Warfarin (manufactured by Teva) to Jantoven - also a generic warfarin. I couldn't get my INR to be consistent when I used Jantoven. I've convinced the pharmacy to give me plain old Teva Warfarin, started it a few days ago, and would be surprised if my INR isn't back in range when I re-test.

For me, I doubt that I'd have to go to the patented Coumadin to regulate my INR - Teva, at pennies a pill, seemed to do the job.

mom2angel;n867864 said:
Protimenow, thank you for your response. Had a busy few days and I just now checked it. I agree with everything you said

a single mother friend of mine calls it the "burnt chop syndrome"

When serving dinner to the kids she'd eat the burnt chop rather than give it to her kids.

Now that she's a grandmother she still does it ... I usually say something like "Ouh Louise, why don't you just have the burn chop too" when I see she's doing that again (with things other than food)

(*a chop by the way is a cut of meat, often pork or lamb)

Latest posts

Back