iPhone mic recorded heartbeat

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Thief

Hey guys, I just thought this was kinda fun. Those of us with replaced aortas, valves, etc, know that the heart may thump pretty hard in our chests. After my most recent (2nd) surgery, with the replaced aorta, it feels like it thumps against my sternum. Anyway, I recorded the thumping by placing my iPhone mic against my chest and uploading the video to instagram. enjoy!

http://instagram.com/p/nlM_8RuL0Q/

Great idea! I was wondering how I could record the way my heart sounds, both before and after fixing the valve. It sounds quite a bit different from the recording on the echo. Just something to play with. Might help take my mind off the upcoming surgery.

This is a mechanical valve as well. Sounds nearly identical to mine, but quite amplified. Iphone mic is pretty sensitive.

Hi Anthony,

I'm sorry to hear you had to go through a second operation so quickly. Which valve did you choose for your first surgery? I'm trying to decide which valve to go with (tissue, mechanical or Ross) and I'm having a hard time deciding.

Also to everyone who has a mechanical valve,

Is it very audible to others around you? Or do they only hear it if they put their ear to your chest?

Thanks,

Arne.

My valve seems very audible to me, but only when no other background noise. My hubby only hears it if I'm laying on my back right next to him. He doesn't even hear it if we're spoon snuggling and his ear is on my back. I rarely find the sound intrusive and when its, that's only for a short time and I tune it out again. NOTE I'm one of those who can't stand white noise and am very sensitive to noises. The sound can be oddly reassuring as well!

Best of luck and know that there really isn't a wrong decision. They all have Pros and Cons and are better than doing nothing.
Linda

Hi Anthony,

I'm sorry to hear you had to go through a second operation so quickly. Which valve did you choose for your first surgery? I'm trying to decide which valve to go with (tissue, mechanical or Ross) and I'm having a hard time deciding.

Also to everyone who has a mechanical valve,

Is it very audible to others around you? Or do they only hear it if they put their ear to your chest?

Thanks,

Arne.

Hi Arne - I am 48 years old and 19 months post Aortic valve replacement. Because of my age it was pretty clear I needed to go mechanical. I looked into Ross but it seemed overly complex and risky for the sole purpose of avoiding Coumadin . Anyway, I chose the On-X valve. This valve is unique in its design in several ways that give it a very good track record for reduced risk of clotting. So much so that the company is doing a clinical study to actually reduce the level of Coumadin required. They also just announced that in Europe they have been approved for this reduced dose recommendation. I chose this valve because of that potential to reduce my Coumadin at some point. All mechanical valves do make some level of noise. This one is no different. From everything I have read, it is not consistent based on the valve and is very patient dependent. Maybe it has to do with the structure of our chest cavity or something, I don't know. As for my experience, when there is no background noise my wife can hear it when she lays next to me. She says it sounds like a soft clock. I can hear it when there is no background noise, but I have to listen for it. I guess you sort of tune it out after awhile. The only other people who have heard it without putting their ear directly to my chest are my youngest son and another little kid when they were standing right next to me. The young kid whose ear was just below chest high and he was standing next to me says "why are you ticking?" I told him and he said, "wow that's pretty cool". I guess I would say expect to hear it but pick the best valve for every other reason first. I am a big proponent of the On-X valve and did a lot of research before choosing it. Here is their website: http://www.onxlti.com/

I just returned from a family reunion in the mountains, and am 4 months post-op. In a quiet (not silent) room, all but one of my family members could hear me ticking, even when I could not hear it myself. I can hear it best when I am in the drivers seat of my car, even when the radio is turned up. Otherwise, I can only hear it if there is NO other noise.

I'm happy with my On-X valve. Then again, I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with any other brand as well. I'm looking forward to the research results regarding less warfarin. I'm having difficulty stabilizing my levels, and I'm pretty sure it's because I'm finding that I can do a lot more activity than before so I'm socializing more, which is fluctuating my diet and alcohol intake.

Also, I recorded my tick-tocker in a fully-tiled restroom a few weeks ago. It was pretty cool!

I wish there were more samples of this sound and more studies on it. My hearing is very good, and I do play music and use recording equipment from time to time. It would be horrible if I couldn't record anymore because of the sound this valve would produce. If I could control my tempo, then it would make for a great metronome, but come on! ;)

Does anyone else have any recordings? Anthony, were you pressing the mic to your chest?

Thank AMFT! That gives me a better idea. Have you gotten used to it yet?

I know I'll most likely hear my valve, I'm just hoping others don't hear it, or if they do, with great difficulty ;).

It doesn't bother me at all. I've noticed that children can hear it better than adults. Sometimes depending on my position it is louder, but the loudest so far is if I cross my left arm over my chest. It's audible to most in a quiet room then. Sometimes I think people can hear it but when I ask the say they can't.

If your about to get a mechanical valve soon I wouldn't stress it. Just ask your surgeon about the quietest valves, for me it was a Medtronics valve that was supposed to be inaudible to 80% of patients after surgery....I must be in the 20% lol

Either way its a great conversation starter.

Hi

I recorded this one in April last year

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8jO_PPJsttfSk96Ym5meHN0Zzg/edit?usp=sharing

Let's see if this works....

it was recorded on my field recorder (I record sounds for a hobby) which was placed on the table about 20cm in front of my chest.

The sound I hear is nothing like this (because its conducted through my head, just like recordings of your voice sound nothing like how you hear your own voice)

Latest posts

Back